News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Snes emulators (Canoe, Snes9x) -- game problems and fixes  (Read 339238 times)

Bosco82

• View Profile

rhester72

• View Profile

therourke

• View Profile
Re: Snes emulators (Canoe, Snes9x) -- game problems and fixes
« Reply #2962 on: March 10, 2019, 02:55:42 pm »
Is it possible to modify the ROM for the Satelleview game Special Tee Shot [filename: "BS Special Tee Shot (J).smc", headerless, CRC: 841C8EB9] to work on Canoe like what has been done for "Golf Daisuki!: O.B. Club"? 

Based on reading a bunch of things I think that monkeying around with some of the SNES header (not the SMC header) might do the trick, but I would have no idea how to actually do that successfully.  On the plus side, the game is already 100% in English to begin with, so no game translation would be needed.
Did you ever figure out how to do this? I found these tips re. headers, but couldn't find the right spots in a hex editor. I did manage to get Special Tee Shot working through SNEX9x 16 through Retroarch, using the BSX bios. But a Canoe fix would be great.

svenge

• View Profile
« Reply #2963 on: March 10, 2019, 04:28:35 pm »
Did you ever figure out how to do this? I found these tips re. headers, but couldn't find the right spots in a hex editor. I did manage to get Special Tee Shot working through SNEX9x 16 through Retroarch, using the BSX bios. But a Canoe fix would be great.

No, I never got it to work.  I tried to hack the headers using some guides, but even after a lot of effort it really didn't work quite right.  The menu would get all glitchy, and the intro screens for each hole would always have garbled text (see below).  Saving was also problematic.

Whatever the problem is, it's not something that someone like me with no actual expertise could pull off, as even some reproductions sold in Japan have the same problem.

Bosco82

• View Profile
« Reply #2964 on: March 10, 2019, 04:43:19 pm »
Here's a patch to try out
https://www.sendspace.com/file/l0jmfa
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 05:37:46 pm by Bosco82 »

svenge

• View Profile
« Reply #2965 on: March 11, 2019, 08:39:46 am »
Here's a patch to try out
https://www.sendspace.com/file/l0jmfa

After applying that patch it certainly loads on Canoe and you can play a round on Beginner difficulty, but it still has several problems that I had experienced when attempting to modify the rom's header myself previously:

1)  The course selection menu screen glitches out badly if you attempt to select a course using the D-pad (unless you simply press "A" for the default Beginner Course).
2)  The hole overview screen still has the glitchy text that I linked a picture of previously.
3)  Other elements of UI are corrupt as seen in the picture below (e.g. the word "BEGINNER" in the scoring box in the bottom left is replaced with "NNER AMA").  Since "AMATEUR" is the next course / difficulty level, it's almost if the pointer was misdirected by a couple bytes or something?
4)  The game soft-locks after completing a course and displaying your final score.
5)  The game won't save your progress upon completing a course, making it impossible to play any of the 8 other courses that are unlocked in sequence.

EDIT:  Another poster made a conversion of a different Satellaview game (DynamiTracer) and posted his source code for doing so, perhaps that might help?  The only obvious difference between Special Tee Shot and DynamiTracer is that Special Tee Shot is a LoRom game while DynamiTracer is a HiRom game if that makes a difference.  The thing is that I have zero assembly knowledge, though.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 09:04:37 am by svenge »

SupaSAIAN

• View Profile
« Reply #2966 on: March 18, 2019, 08:55:58 am »
Hi i have discovered Gon has the overscan problem when you press reset and resume the game or load a savestate, can some one fix it please??

Bosco82

• View Profile

SupaSAIAN

• View Profile
« Reply #2968 on: March 18, 2019, 03:55:30 pm »
Try this https://www.sendspace.com/file/zdza25

Thanks a lot Bosco82, now the game runs really fine  ;)

svenge

• View Profile
« Reply #2969 on: March 25, 2019, 09:30:01 am »
I believe the same overscan problem after going to the menu and returning happens for Yoshi's Cookie.

SupaSAIAN

• View Profile
« Reply #2970 on: March 25, 2019, 03:41:41 pm »
I believe the same overscan problem after going to the menu and returning happens for Yoshi's Cookie.

I can confirm this overscan problem, maybe Bosco82 can fix it  :)

Bosco82

• View Profile
« Reply #2971 on: March 25, 2019, 04:13:31 pm »

SupaSAIAN

• View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: March 26, 2019, 09:09:12 am »

mamertos

• View Profile
« Reply #2973 on: March 30, 2019, 09:57:36 am »
Offtopic.

Mega Man 3 Improvement hack: stage select screen fixed for kachikachi.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/fg5xc8

Now you can play one of the best Mega Man's hack out there in your NES Classic on kachikachi with the satege select screen fixed. It looks like this before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZYKWo0rPQ4 (00:02:04)

Enjoy! (this is my first hack, hope it works fine).

Miku

• View Profile
« Reply #2974 on: April 05, 2019, 12:09:31 pm »
Hello, Megaman x2/Rockmam x2 has a problem. when in "magna centipede" stage the search lights is dark yellow looking color. should be a brighter yellow.
And megaman x3/rockman x3 has the same problem. But you can see it when you try to use the "ride armor'. this can be seen in stages that have the ride armor summoner thing.
This is using "Canoe"

megaman x2 1117
megaman x3 113D
rockman x2 1112
rockman x3 113C
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 12:29:35 pm by Miku »