News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Snes emulators (Canoe, Snes9x) -- game problems and fixes  (Read 363341 times)

SupaSAIAN

• View Profile
Re: Snes emulators (Canoe, Snes9x) -- game problems and fixes
« Reply #2480 on: May 12, 2018, 12:49:24 am »
Thank you very much for fixing all those games, you are really amazing Sluffy.  :thumbsup:

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #2481 on: May 12, 2018, 02:22:41 pm »
Thanks for the support. Decided to fix Kirby 3 butch boss in the long meantime. Maybe more like "See you later!" than "Adieu!" (for now).

Kirby's Dream Land 3 (USA) (? pid)
https://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/IOnuHESAT6RlTk636V%2BfDbFdKBmQ62pI

kirby3-2b = for normal emulators, like snes9x

kirby3-2b_canoe-cheat = for canoe, sa-1 109c tester
kirby3-2b_canoe = no cheat

Someone's offered to do some dirty work of dissecting games and documenting them in case I feel like doing a few now and then. If that person is actually serious, we'll see how that works out over the mid-year. Won't be personally reading the forums much a week.

Tengai Makyou Zero is hilariously good (pre-hermit). And Tom knows how to communicate a script with energy.

pimpinelephant

• View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: May 12, 2018, 04:55:11 pm »
We'll be here whenever you decide to come back Sluffy!
So just go ahead and relax, have no worries... for the rest of your days... it's our problem-free... philosophy...
Sorry.
Seriously though, no worries at all.

Will go ahead and test out the Kirby 3 patches.

arkiokin

• View Profile
« Reply #2483 on: May 12, 2018, 05:32:23 pm »
Thanks for the support. Decided to fix Kirby 3 butch boss in the long meantime. Maybe more like "See you later!" than "Adieu!" (for now).

Kirby's Dream Land 3 (USA) (? pid)
https://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/IOnuHESAT6RlTk636V%2BfDbFdKBmQ62pI

kirby3-2b = for normal emulators, like snes9x

kirby3-2b_canoe-cheat = for canoe, sa-1 109c tester
kirby3-2b_canoe = no cheat

With 2b_canoe-cheat (very nice cheat to do quick tests :) ), unfortunately same freeze up with 9C10 (and also again crash with 2b_canoe on final boss stage 6) :-[

Concerning colors of the final boss on Boss butch, it's a bit better, since foreground clouds are not red anymore but rather pink/magenta color :

How it should be (made on snes9x 1.55) :

Bonus (if it eventually can help you) : With 2b_canoe-cheat and A410, the colors of foreground clouds are a bit lighter than it was with vanilla game + A410 (not really yellow but rather light peach color)

Vanilla :

2b+A410 :

About that, I have to correct what I said before : with vanilla game + A410, the effect of foreground and background clouds is correct (it's was just the special HDMI display I used to test this before : when I switch on another HDMI port or PC screen, the green clouds are correctly seen under the yellow clouds)

Anyway, many thanks to try again to help a bit, especially this color issue was not so important to take care about, relax yourself should be your first priority now. But you are really a great guy, and indeed we'll be here to help you if needed even in several months later :)

pimpinelephant

• View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: May 12, 2018, 06:21:47 pm »
Is the green and yellow colored clouds due to the anti-epilepsy, so only with 10A2-10A4?
I was finally able to beat Butch Boss in Snes9x, and I only saw the red and blue colored clouds.
Snes9x 1.55 (kirby3-2b):

Snes9x (vanilla):

I'm not exactly sure, but I think red might be the correct color? Not sure.

I haven't tried the Canoe patches yet, will do those now.

EDIT:

Actually Arkiokin, you're right. I think the orange-ish (red-orange?) color is correct.
It just dawned on me that when the picture gets displayed at 256, the red foreground and the yellow background will "blend" to create the orange-ish color.
Same concept for all of the other colors:
red + yellow = orange
red + blue = magenta
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 07:55:52 pm by pimpinelephant »

arkiokin

• View Profile
« Reply #2485 on: May 12, 2018, 07:56:07 pm »
Is the green and yellow colored clouds due to the anti-epilepsy, so only with 10A2-10A4?
I was finally able to beat Butch Boss in Snes9x, and I only saw the red and blue colored clouds.

I'm not exactly sure, but I think red might be the correct color? Not sure.

I haven't tried the Canoe patches yet, will do those now.

EDIT:

Actually Arkiokin, you're right. I think the orange-ish color is correct.
It just dawned on me that when the picture gets displayed at 256, the red foreground and the yellow background will "blend" to create the orange-ish color.

Yes, green and yellow colors seem to be the most obvious prove of the anti-epilepsy protection, or at least like it is on Virtual console and only with pid A210, A310 and A410. It was the first time I combined one of these pid with a sluffy's "already transparency safe" patched rom, and the green-yellow color is the resulting. (tested also boss butch with 1d patch + A410 : green-yellow too but same yellow than it is with vanilla not like it is with 2b).
However, the flashing effect after beaten first form of the boss seems to NOT be affected by this anti-epilepsy protection. So, a sluffy's patched rom + A410 is not entirely affected by all the consequences of this anti-epilepsy protection.

And like I said : on 1d it was a really red color (the same color as it was for the eye shots of the big white eye), whereas it is now "pink/magenta" and we can discern the red shots
Btw, orange was also the only color I found on the videos of this part I was able to catched (outside the one that were taken from Virtual console, so green-yellow one) but not tested with higan

EDIT : nice catch with this combined colors, that should be a clear explanation of these colors difference : a tiny blending glitch at the very end ^^'
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 08:01:37 pm by arkiokin »

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #2486 on: May 12, 2018, 10:53:04 pm »
Had the understudy (kitspin) run some tests on more color blending ideas. Changing backdrop seems only method that blends correctly on butch boss6 (magenta color in particular). I put in the color switches and assuming this works based on report. Release time.

Kirby's Dream Land 3 (USA)
https://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/ITqS99bpeqll8%2BmuKXLJxQ

This should be 'final' snes9x version. Canoe will still have sram going crackers. Asking the helper to go through other sa-1 games to see how saves are done.

And we'll see if kitspin gives me some detailed info on Rudra boss, or other games. For later. *yawn*

pimpinelephant

• View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: May 13, 2018, 05:47:38 am »
Apologies for the late testing, got a bit caught up in something.

kirby3-2b_canoe.bps + 109C = No change unfortunately.
I got the exact same results as Arkiokin, still freezes on final boss stage 2/3 unfortunately.

kirby3-2c.ips + 0000 = Success!
The colors/blending appear to be the correct colors, they look identical to original hardware to my eyes!
This is definitely the "release" version for Kirby 3 patches.

Same results on Snes9x as well.

The SRAM issue really isn't too big of a deal, so it's no worries, no hurry at all.
At the very least, we know for a fact that it's Preset ID related. Or at least the Preset ID is what enables the constant save-to-SRAM.
Maybe there's another Preset ID out there that also enables it? I don't know.

arkiokin

• View Profile
« Reply #2488 on: May 13, 2018, 10:04:07 am »
Yes, SRAM issues on this game are not so important, since we can easily keep on the SRAM just doing L+R+start+select when finishing playing, so nothing crippling ;)

I made also tests with kirby3-2c.ips : I can confirm pimpinelephant results on butch boss 6 : colors are perfectly correct now (orange clouds), well done sluffy !
As expected, boss 6 always freeze up with 9C10, but all is fine with pid 0000 and a SA-1 extra-byte value. Also tried same things of testing slowdowns on level 1-2 (for sounds) and level 5-6 (for graphics) with previous configuration (0B + -no-lowlatency) : works fine.

So, final release for this game should be :

- Kirby's Dreamland 3 (USA) + kirby3-2c.ips patch (0000,0B) + -no-lowlatency : original SNES game = anti-epilepsy OFF
- Kirby's Dreamland 3 (USA)(A410,00) : VC game = anti-epilepsy ON

You can finish the game at 100% with these 2 choices and with soft reset (L+R+Select+Start) to store SRAM for each configuration

mamertos

• View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: May 13, 2018, 11:58:22 am »
Puzzle Bobble (Europe):

- No bubbles graphic glitch but screen out of place and sound issues. I don't know if would be better to fix this one instead the US version.

Robin64

• View Profile
« Reply #2490 on: May 13, 2018, 01:02:28 pm »
Puzzle Bobble (EU) definitely has the graphical glitch, I tested it after someone on Reddit asked about it.

Your audio issues were because you didn't convert it to NTSC. Canoe doesn't like PAL ROMs.

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: May 13, 2018, 01:07:12 pm »
Fixing shaking would auto-fix bubble glitch. Fixing shaking isn't working and there's nearly no alternates other than mode4 pid.

Rudra no Hihou (Japan) (1016)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/p8prtw

???
1) battle line glitch (spells, items)
2) dying boss

Fixing gradient would require converting menus to mode1-512 (Kirby 3 hires). Canoe is too stubborn about mode5 problems.

CanoeFan

• View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: May 13, 2018, 02:26:18 pm »
Fixing shaking would auto-fix bubble glitch. Fixing shaking isn't working and there's nearly no alternates other than mode4 pid.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/p8prtw

???
1) battle line glitch (spells, items)
2) dying boss

Fixing gradient would require converting menus to mode1-512 (Kirby 3 hires). Canoe is too stubborn about mode5 problems.

With this patch the Boss dying effect displays correctly using 1016.
However the textboxes are too bright (high gamma), in menus the text is black. The small glitchy line in battles is still there.
If the gradient is too much work to fix/ unfixable, I would just keep everything else like it was in the 2f patch. (no Gradient, nice and clean readable menu also text boxes gamma was correct there too)

Zimgief

• View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: May 13, 2018, 02:47:40 pm »
Honestly, the gradient menu is kinda ugly. Not worth the trouble!

(Maybe this last patch is supposed to be applied in combination with the last one, which fixes the new/old problems you described?)

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: May 13, 2018, 03:10:19 pm »
TBH, don't know what happened with text box gamma or menus. It's all in there still using new method. I think I'll look at this myself since something went wrong.

Which text boxes are gamma again? dialogue and battle? -- it's both.

That's it. I'm taking over asm writing duties. Divvy up some of the other tasks.

===1
https://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/FIFSWUHYDW1APVOpRvM7zx7Eq%2Fn3BLiR

Rudra3-3a flavors:
1) no gradient
2) buggy gradient
3) experimental gradient

All should have:
1) Gamma fixed
2) Visible menu
3) ?? buggy battle line ??
4) dead boss
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 05:56:26 pm by sluffy »

pimpinelephant

• View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: May 13, 2018, 07:04:59 pm »
rudra3-3a + 1016 = Extra line during battles is fixed, but other issues persist.
The extra line is gone!
Unfortunately, the battle menu boxes are still high gamma.
Everything else is looking great though.

I was not able to test the boss death effect yet, I was testing the original Japanese ROM, while the save is for the English translation.
I will get to a boss and test it out though.

rudra3-3a-experiment gradient = No good, unfortunately.
This patch turns all of the text black.

rudra3-3a-no gradient
rudra3-3a-buggy gradient

What's the difference between these two? They looked pretty identical to me.
Both display the gradient in menus, but the text will get slightly darker at the top and bottom of the screen (where the gradient gets darker).
What should I be looking for in terms of differences for these two patches?

Either way, the extra line during battles is officially gone! Woohoo!
Just a couple of issues persist now, but this game is very close to 100% fixed!
Awesome job once again Sluffy!

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: May 13, 2018, 07:13:52 pm »
no gradient was supposed to remove gradient. Which laughably did in bsnes but not Canoe.

Canoe has some transparency error so colored it black (vs heather grey).

pimpinelephant

• View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: May 13, 2018, 07:24:12 pm »
Oh, ok! That makes sense. :laugh:
I completely thought I did something wrong, since the checksum are different for each, but they each don't match the calculated checksum.
Good to know it's supposed to be like that.

Also, the darker text for the gradient menus is pretty darn slight.
I actually didn't notice it immediately. It took me a couple of seconds while looking at the menu to really notice it.
So it really is an extremely minor issue, not a big deal at all!

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: May 13, 2018, 07:28:01 pm »
Battle text box - the one that mentions the attack or spell or item name?

===e1
Assuming that's the leftover problem. Add empty subscreen and be done with that part.
https://www.sendspace.com/file/ro70wn

Read below post. I see, that's rather odd side-effect.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 07:49:47 pm by sluffy »

pimpinelephant

• View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: May 13, 2018, 07:48:22 pm »
I just tested it again, and the high gamma is present on every battle menu box.
Enemy list, party list, battle menu list, mantra list, item list.

The only text boxes that are not high gamma are the text boxes that appear in-between turns after selecting actions (I'm assuming they're the action names), as well as the text boxes for EXP and Money gained after the battle has concluded.
Those two text boxes are fine and don't display the high gamma, everything else does though it would seem.