News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Snes emulators (Canoe, Snes9x) -- game problems and fixes  (Read 864077 times)

sluffy

• View Profile
Re: Snes emulators (Canoe, Snes9x) -- game problems and fixes
« Reply #840 on: March 26, 2018, 10:08:54 pm »
ActRaiser 2 (usa, 0000, clean) -- mode7 map
https://www.sendspace.com/file/hw9bk3

Changed default bg1 color to ocean blue intensity. Some chance could work. Noticed it's just backdrop color and not mode7 texture tile.

===1
Utopia - The Creation of a Nation (0000, usa, clean)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/xdrt7p

Maybe fixes popup boxes. Wait h-blank.

===2
Radical Psycho Machine Racing (0000, usa, clean)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/15mqro

Try repairing in-game maps. H-blank again + oam even writes.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 11:16:39 pm by sluffy »

Ludi55

• View Profile
« Reply #841 on: March 26, 2018, 10:09:30 pm »
Working on what I know what to do.

Gekisou Sentai Car Ranger - Zenkai! Racer Senshi (japan, 0000, clean)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/3wrvd8

beat bps delta patch. Correctly init memory $00-0f.

thank you so much for this sluffy,please when you have some time if possible look into Ganbare Daiku no Gen-san as well.again thank you.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #842 on: March 26, 2018, 11:59:36 pm »
Anyone have a video of what are supposed to be RPM Racing's problems?

FormerTree

• View Profile
« Reply #843 on: March 27, 2018, 01:51:16 am »
ActRaiser 2 (usa, 0000, clean) -- mode7 map
https://www.sendspace.com/file/hw9bk3

Changed default bg1 color to ocean blue intensity. Some chance could work. Noticed it's just backdrop color and not mode7 texture tile.

This works, but please be aware that just using this patch is not sufficient to get the game to run. You must use the original IPS patch used to make Actraiser 2 run, then this patch.

To be extra clear:
Original Actraiser 2 ROM (no patches): 0x4901F718 -- Does not boot (hangs after Enix logo)
Actraiser 2 + Initial patch (which was for SlowROM?): 0x22A37A98 -- Boots, but displays discolouration
Actraiser 2 + Sluffy background patch: 0x10F9E0D2 -- Does not boot (hangs after Enix logo)
Actraiser 2 + Initial Patch + Sluffy background patch: 0x7B5B6D52 -- Works perfectly

So it will probably be useful to make a combination patch to ensure that one patch will work for everyone.

Screenshot for proof:

Click for PNG to avoid the weird JPG artifacting the downsized version has
(The overhead view also works, I tested both)

Link to original Canoe patch:
Click here

I am not totally sure how you combine two IPS patches, so I'll leave it to someone more experienced than I am.

Thank you very much sluffy. This is one of the last two games I have issues in (the other is Pilotwings)! I'll have to start buying more SNES carts to help test haha.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 01:57:36 am by FormerTree »

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #844 on: March 27, 2018, 02:25:28 am »
Sorry but it's still not perfect.

Notice how in the correct images, the point where the sky and sea meet is barely distinguisable, yet in the sluffy patch image there is a very clear distinction. The blue in the correct image actually has a gradient, which goes from darker (in the bottom), to lighter as it meets the sky.

For sluffy: remove background layer 1 in snes9x and the dark blue that's left, that's the same dark blue in the "incorrect canoe" image. Now, if you enable BG1 again, you'll notice it contains the entire map, sea, sky and stars. Canoe is rendering all that correctly, except the sea with its blue gradient. I think this is a mode 7 issue since the map seems to be mode 7 to scale that way.

Maybe this is something ID 6810 can fix considering it's a Quintet game like Soul Blazer?

Can someone test the game with ID 6810 with Hakchi? Please don't use SFROM Tool.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 02:35:54 am by reyvgm »

FormerTree

• View Profile
« Reply #845 on: March 27, 2018, 02:46:57 am »
Ah, you're right that there's a subtle gradient. Still a big improvement because it doesn't have the ugly grey space everywhere, but you're right that it doesn't have that nice horizon glow. Doesn't look like the preset fixes it either.

US ROM + Canoe Fix + Sluffy Fix + Hakchi Preset 6810:
Screenshot here.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #846 on: March 27, 2018, 02:51:38 am »
Thanks. Hopefully sluffy is able to figure it out like he always does :)

He said it wasn't a mode 7 issue, but it has to be because the entire map and the color gradient, is included with the mode 7 layer.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 03:13:57 am by reyvgm »

matt!

• JUS4QIX
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: March 27, 2018, 03:52:15 am »
With Firemen (Human Entertainment) I just play the NTSC-U beta. Seems complete?

lich

• View Profile
« Reply #848 on: March 27, 2018, 04:27:22 am »

Yeah the "Firemen USA-prototype" works just fine. Only negative thing about this version is that the translation from japanese is quite sloppy. If someone could convert the text dialogue from the PAL version to "Firemen - USA-beta/prototype)" we would have a "perfect" copy of the game. I've played this prototype without any in-game issues, only things that can be bothering is the grammatical errors, you still understand, but it's like it has been translated by someone with poor english just like myself  :laugh:

March 27, 2018, 04:31:54 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Added a counter to the doc that tracks how many games with issues are left, how many games have been fixed, and how many games need testing.

Dude you've done an amazing job with the "Sluffy fix doc". I'm glad you are the one in charge of this doc, a lot of games would have been forgotten to be tested/fixed if this hadn't been made. This was why I suggested a doc like this way back (since sluffy was born with speedhack and dropping patches like it's nobodys job)

@Sluffy, great job getting a Sufami Turbo game to work. Only a total of 13 games were released to this system.
Here's some more info about the sufami (games,history etc): https://snescentral.com/article.php?id=0802

March 27, 2018, 05:06:25 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
===2
Radical Psycho Machine Racing (0000, usa, clean)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/15mqro

Try repairing in-game maps. H-blank again + oam even writes.

Wow, this must be the most buggy game I've tested so far  :laugh:
Boot pics are out of frame, menu is totally out of frame and when driving it gets so glitchy so canoe doesn't know what the difference is between the grass and track  :laugh: :laugh:

Recorded it on my beloved potato, and yes it's not easy trying to drive with one hand while recording with the other.  intro - menu - and some racing on the first track

VIDEO
https://streamable.com/uxdnj

March 27, 2018, 05:34:14 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
===1
Utopia - The Creation of a Nation (0000, usa, clean)
Maybe fixes popup boxes. Wait h-blank.

Patched a clean rom with your patch, same errors. Notice that the larger building gives you six (3+3) black stripes and when I put my cursor on top of a smaller building it shows 2 (1+1) black stripes. Seems like the glitches reflect each other, if the far left corner shows 3 black stripes it's going to be 3 black stripes to the right (it can never be 3 stripes on the left hand side and 1 on the other and vice versa).
Same behaviour on other maps as well.

If anyone wonders how I can record high quality stuff, here's the answer:

VID: https://streamable.com/1qh13
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 05:36:15 am by lich »

SupaSAIAN

• View Profile
« Reply #849 on: March 27, 2018, 07:07:07 am »
Hi, what NTSC-U beta are you talking about?? As i know there are only 3 versions of the game: JAPAN (wich only have Japanese languaje) EUROPE beta (wich only have the sloppy english translation) & EUROPE multi3 (wich have English, German and French languajes).
The EUROPE multi3 version is perfectly playable on Canoe with its own NTSC patch and the fix posted in this list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kyriwV4CSEPuhWWXaxw_YRTgbu4Dh5SE-bf2XwJOdX0/edit#gid=0&range=E70

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #850 on: March 27, 2018, 09:09:27 am »
ActRaiser2 wants to keep drawing beyond its mode7 texture map. Canoe says stop and (seems to) draw bg1 underneath outside. If Canoe was open source, this would be easily fixable. But we work with what we have.

etiel

• View Profile
« Reply #851 on: March 27, 2018, 10:02:02 am »
Hi, what NTSC-U beta are you talking about?? As i know there are only 3 versions of the game: JAPAN (wich only have Japanese languaje) EUROPE beta (wich only have the sloppy english translation) & EUROPE multi3 (wich have English, German and French languajes).
The EUROPE multi3 version is perfectly playable on Canoe with its own NTSC patch and the fix posted in this list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kyriwV4CSEPuhWWXaxw_YRTgbu4Dh5SE-bf2XwJOdX0/edit#gid=0&range=E70

There is also a NTSC beta aka "USA Prototype" version which is complete but was never released:  https://snescentral.com/review.php?id=0829&num=0&fancy=yes&article=proto. It is in my opinion the best way to play the game using Canoe, despite having a not so good translation. The Europe version with the NTSC patch alters the speed of the game slightly (makes it a bit faster).
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 11:21:12 am by etiel »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: March 27, 2018, 11:30:27 am »
SNES Central has argued that the "USA prototype" could be a European beta, just without PAL conversion yet done.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

SupaSAIAN

• View Profile
« Reply #853 on: March 27, 2018, 11:43:33 am »
There is also a NTSC beta aka "USA Prototype" version which is complete but was never released:https://snescentral.com/review.php?id=0829&num=0&fancy=yes&article=proto. It is in my opinion the best way to play the game using Canoe, despite having a not so good translation. The Europe version with the NTSC patch alters the speed of the game slightly (makes it a bit faster).
You're right about the NTSC patch, I had not noticed the speed increase. But I have found the version you are talking about and it has the same CRC (9BC82442) as the one listed in the "No-Intro - Nintendo - Super Nintendo Entertainment System (2017-05-29)" romset as "Firemen, The (Europe) (Beta).sfc", and I take it for granted the No-Intro sets are correct in terms of the roms region...

(Manually Merged Double Post)

SNES Central has argued that the "USA prototype" could be a European beta, just without PAL conversion yet done.
Ok, that explains everything  :thumbsup:

*UPDATE: I have tested the both roms on Canoe (the beta and the european with NTSC patch and Sluffy's Canoe fix) to compare the game clock and runs exactly at the same speed, someone knows if is all the game is speed up or only in certain areas??
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 02:24:16 pm by SupaSAIAN »

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #854 on: March 27, 2018, 12:31:01 pm »
Firemen Europe + NTSC 60Hz is also bit faster on emus (ex. higan) than Japan?
== Oh. Read KingMike's comment: PAL (timing) conversion not done.

Had enough time to do this. Stop illegal vram upload during drawing.

Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon Sailor Stars - Fuwa Fuwa Panic 2 (Japan) (ST) (0000, clean)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/noka0w

beat bps delta.

Domino089

• View Profile
« Reply #855 on: March 27, 2018, 02:01:26 pm »
ActRaiser2 wants to keep drawing beyond its mode7 texture map. Canoe says stop and (seems to) draw bg1 underneath outside. If Canoe was open source, this would be easily fixable. But we work with what we have.

Could you make an aio patch to actraiser 2 with the patches you've released so far?

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #856 on: March 27, 2018, 02:11:42 pm »
Dude you've done an amazing job with the "Sluffy fix doc". I'm glad you are the one in charge of this doc, a lot of games would have been forgotten to be tested/fixed if this hadn't been made. This was why I suggested a doc like this way back (since sluffy was born with speedhack and dropping patches like it's nobodys job)

Thanks for the appreciation. Yeah I started it because I noticed some sluffy fixes or test requests were falling behind and people were forgetting about them.

Wow, this must be the most buggy game I've tested so far  :laugh:
Boot pics are out of frame, menu is totally out of frame and when driving it gets so glitchy so canoe doesn't know what the difference is between the grass and track  :laugh: :laugh:

Recorded it on my beloved potato, and yes it's not easy trying to drive with one hand while recording with the other.  intro - menu - and some racing on the first track

VIDEO
https://streamable.com/uxdnj

I don't see how sluffy can fix the game. The game runs completely in hi-res, and a lot of the issues come from that.

Could you make an aio patch to actraiser 2 with the patches you've released so far?

Honestly, it's not necessary. The last patch just made the color a little lighter, but the issue is still there. It's best to wait for a complete fix before requesting AiO patches.

Rendering Ranger

Speaking of All in One, did you ever make an AiO patch for Rendering Ranger? Last time the game came up these were the last two patches that needed to be used in conjunction:
PATCH 1 (post #559)
https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=25789.msg353931#msg353931

PATCH 2 (post #583)
https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=25789.msg353968#msg353968
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 02:22:49 pm by reyvgm »

Bosco82

• View Profile
« Reply #857 on: March 27, 2018, 02:26:39 pm »
Sluffys second patch there for Rendering Ranger is the only patch needed
Test for Fuwa Fuwa Panic 2 - The second text bubble is correctly rendered now no broken border anymore

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #858 on: March 27, 2018, 02:28:44 pm »
Only released 1 ActRaiser 2 patch which fixes ocean floor color (top down view). But not horizon gradient. SlowRom patch was done by someone else, which I haven't solved how audio sync works (don't like idea of slowrom).

ActRaiser 2 uses this register:
2132h - COLDATA - Color Math Sub Screen Backdrop Color (W)

When mode7 goes out-of-bounds, Canoe is supposed to draw this color (instead of palette 0).

Only remaining idea is to hdma into palette 0 to simulate gradient. Annoying to fix right now since AR2 hogs most hdma registers.

RPM Racing. Wanted to try but yeah. 512x448 in-game. Funny to watch and well interesting. With video, I see everything wrong now. Worse than ASP.

Whatever. Work on depending current mood. :)

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #859 on: March 27, 2018, 02:44:58 pm »
Sluffys second patch there for Rendering Ranger is the only patch needed
Test for Fuwa Fuwa Panic 2 - The second text bubble is correctly rendered now no broken border anymore

Ahh, okay, let me remove the first patch then.

As for Fuwa Fuwa Panic 2, did you try playing it for a little bit more to check if no other thing is broken?

Only released 1 ActRaiser 2 patch which fixes ocean floor color (top down view). But not horizon gradient. SlowRom patch was done by someone else, which I haven't solved how audio sync works (don't like idea of slowrom).

Ah right, I forgot about the top down view.

FormerTree, did you check the Act Raiser 2 map to see if it was fine too?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 02:52:16 pm by reyvgm »