News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Snes emulators (Canoe, Snes9x) -- game problems and fixes  (Read 864123 times)

Ludi55

• View Profile
Re: Snes emulators (Canoe, Snes9x) -- game problems and fixes
« Reply #780 on: March 24, 2018, 03:17:02 pm »
Sluffy i have a question, do you think it is possible to make games like ganbare daiku no gen san and gekisou sentai car ranger to work with canoe at all?

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #781 on: March 24, 2018, 03:41:27 pm »
AtomicShroom:
I tried sluffy's latest Uniracers patch and... bad news.  In single player mode the CPU, when off screen, is constantly drawn in the top-left corner.

False alarm.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 05:28:55 pm by reyvgm »

CanoeFan

• View Profile
« Reply #782 on: March 24, 2018, 03:44:39 pm »
AtomicShroom:
I tried sluffy's latest Uniracers patch and... bad news.  In single player mode the CPU, when off screen, is constantly drawn in the top-left corner. :(

I tried the latest patch also and I can't replicate this issue. Played a few single player stages and it never happened.

mamertos

• View Profile
« Reply #783 on: March 24, 2018, 03:45:25 pm »
Hi! Has anyone notice a minor graphic glitch in Harvest Moon running with CANOE? Go to the forest at night in fall and you’ll understand. While you’re running through the forest, the leaves are orange, but you keep stand and the leaves become brown. I have tested it with Snes9x and doesn't happen.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #784 on: March 24, 2018, 04:14:38 pm »
I tried the latest patch also and I can't replicate this issue. Played a few single player stages and it never happened.

Person that tested it said it did happen to him. The game wasn't even on his SNESC before, so there was no chance of accidentally loading a save from a previous version.

I guess it's possible that small glitches like this could still randomly pop up.

etiel

• View Profile
« Reply #785 on: March 24, 2018, 04:16:45 pm »
A few tests:

- NHL '96: Finished a game and did not experience any lock-ups. However, in the middle of the second period the sound effects went completely silent. A minute later I scored a goal and sound started working again.
- Nosferatu: Noticed the same behavior with the last patch: enemies appear on the other side of the screen.
- Pirates of Dark Water: Completed the first level with Ren. Level Clear screen looks fine now, however, in the "Compass found" screen just a few seconds later Ren's hand shows a few random purple pixels. Looks as if the compass (which is also purple) is trying to appear again in his hand ;). I'll see if I can upload pic later.
- Top Gear: I see some videos uploaded already but here's another one. Germany 1st track: https://streamable.com/xmgr3
It seems like whenever there's a hill or slope, objects right after pop up in the middle of the track.
- Troddlers (USA): Game needs to be added to the list. http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=25789.msg354338#msg354338
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 04:22:52 pm by etiel »

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #786 on: March 24, 2018, 04:20:48 pm »
A few tests:

- NHL '96: Finished a game and did not experience any lock-ups. However, in the middle of the second period the sound effects went completely silent. A minute later I scored a goal and sound started working again.
- Nosferatu: Noticed the same behavior with the last patch: enemies appear on the other side of the screen.
- Pirates of Dark Water: Completed the first level with Ren. Level Clear screen looks fine now, however, in the "Compass found" screen just a few seconds later Ren's hand shows a few random purple pixels. Looks as if the compass (which is also purple) is trying to appear again in his hand ;). I'll see if I can upload pic later.
- Top Gear: I see some videos uploaded already but here's another one. Germany 1st track: https://streamable.com/xmgr3
It seems that whenever there's a hill or slope, objects right after pop up in the middle of the track.
- Troddlers (USA): Game needs to be added to the list. http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=25789.msg354338#msg354338

NHL 96. Hmm..., well the report does say it happens randomly. I'll add both notes.
Pirates of Dark Water. Will wait for pic. Video would be better.
Top Gear: thanks, it's easier to see the issue with you going slow like that :P
Troddlers: not adding more games with only sound issues because so far Sluffy has no way of fixing them. So I'll concentrate on only adding games with graphic issues or crashes.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 04:26:19 pm by reyvgm »

Bosco82

• View Profile
« Reply #787 on: March 24, 2018, 05:28:31 pm »
I've only tested Madden '95 and I know it froze up when I was kicking a field goal

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #788 on: March 24, 2018, 05:32:26 pm »
False alarm about Uniracers.

The person that tested it used SFROM Tool to patch a clean game and he got the reported issue above.
He then used Lunar IPS to patch a clean game (but still used SFROM Tool to build the .sfrom) and didn't get his original issues.

I don't know what's going on here with SFROM Tool, but that's why I've always said NOT TO USE IT WHEN TESTING. You do NOT need it, just patch the game with Lunar and add it to hakchi directly.
There's also the possibility that SFROM Tool has a patch in their patches folder for the game you are testing and that patch can cause conflicts with what Sluffy is doing. Also, the tool automatically patches your games with certain patches. So again, NOT TO USE SFROM TOOL WHEN TESTING.

Anyway, seems Uniracers is truly fixed, unless the issue he got happened randomly and still there waiting for someone else to find it.

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #789 on: March 24, 2018, 05:40:50 pm »
Uniracers (0000, usa, clean) - 5c
https://www.sendspace.com/file/krg567

I imagine it could be random (top-left corner is very specific condition). This cleans all racers but 2 in 1P mode. If cpu shows up again, this game is running some shifty code paths.

Pirates = can see it in snes9x. Have to really pay attention but purple bead is there. ^^

EA Sports = it's like Clayfighter. Some alien cosmic thing it's doing with spu.

Troddlers = wouldn't hurt to add to list. Remind me to look at. Or someone else.

Ganbare daiku = Took a few looks. Can't isolate crash yet.

Gekisou sentai = Sufami Turbo (ST). Don't know how to handle these yet.

Nosferatu = yeah. Kinda expected that. Checking out the boss now.

Top Gear = fun. Since it can happen anywhere, huh.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #790 on: March 24, 2018, 06:15:43 pm »
Ok here's another Uniracers issue. I'll just quote robin:

Well, single player is very impressive! There's a small quirk in 2-player though (which you can view by leaving it on the title screen for a demo).

You'll note that as the green player falls off into the orange player's screen, their entire sprite moves over into the green half, making it look like there are two greens cycles on the bottom screen. As soon as the sprite is fully over, it vanishes.

This is how it should look:

Robin64

• View Profile
« Reply #791 on: March 24, 2018, 07:01:42 pm »
Thought this might be interesting. I expanded Super Mario World in various ways to find out what size ROMs Canoe does and doesn't support, and here are the results.

As you can see, you can only get 48 Mbit and 64 Mbit games running if they are LoROM. And even then, they need to be a certain type of LoROM. The ones that use the 00:8000-6F:FFFF map don't work, but the other two types do. HiROM at these sizes doesn't work at all. This means stuff like Tales of Phantasia and Crimson Echoes will never work properly in Canoe as they are HiROM at those sizes.

arkiokin

• View Profile
« Reply #792 on: March 24, 2018, 07:16:41 pm »
Uniracers (0000, usa, clean) - 5c
https://www.sendspace.com/file/krg567

I imagine it could be random (top-left corner is very specific condition). This cleans all racers but 2 in 1P mode. If cpu shows up again, this game is running some shifty code paths.

I tested more finely this patch (and the previous 5a with same minor issues) and there are some minor uncorrect locations of player 1 on the screen of player 2 time to time : the monocycle is a bit too low (the wheel is inside the road) or float a bit in the air, just upstair the road (and it appears very briefly : everything come back to normal pretty quickly)More than that it's behaviour is different on top screen and bottom screen:
some screens to show that :

P.S : tested on hackchi2 2.21f with no more added. Patched rom CRC32:F780918C

EDIT : all these minor issues were not found out on the first "5 patch" (the first nuclear bomb ;) ). I tested again this first patch and all these issues (wrong location and not symetric behaviour) were not here. The only issue is the one noticed upper by robin (the monocycle that can appear in part on 2 windows at the same time). Of course it's only for my configuration of my SNESC, cause other had the glitches of wheels in the corner (I never saw). ROM modified : CRC32:66A8DA5: 2.21f, no borders, no modules added (I also noticed, and made some tests, that hakchi2 CE (and hakchi 2.30) leads some graphical glitches with a shadow filter on some game at some moments like castlevania 4 or super ghouls'n ghots, that also depends on which HDMI connector you use : a problem that never appear on the old 2.21f)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 07:58:55 pm by arkiokin »

etiel

• View Profile
« Reply #793 on: March 24, 2018, 07:45:54 pm »
Some pictures of the Pirates of Dark Water minor issue:
https://imgur.com/gallery/mTS5h

Notice the purple pixels in Ren's hand, it is even more noticeable if you finish the level as Tula. It also glows at the same time as the compass. Level clear screen is fine.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #794 on: March 24, 2018, 10:18:53 pm »
Some pictures of the Pirates of Dark Water minor issue:
https://imgur.com/gallery/mTS5h

Notice the purple pixels in Ren's hand, it is even more noticeable if you finish the level as Tula. It also glows at the same time as the compass. Level clear screen is fine.

Thanks. Should have made a video because it's really hard to tell what's going on from still images. Luckily same thing happens on SNES9X apparently, so sluffy was able to see the issue himself.

CanoeFan

• View Profile
« Reply #795 on: March 25, 2018, 02:45:21 am »
Thought this might be interesting. I expanded Super Mario World in various ways to find out what size ROMs Canoe does and doesn't support, and here are the results.

As you can see, you can only get 48 Mbit and 64 Mbit games running if they are LoROM. And even then, they need to be a certain type of LoROM. The ones that use the 00:8000-6F:FFFF map don't work, but the other two types do. HiROM at these sizes doesn't work at all. This means stuff like Tales of Phantasia and Crimson Echoes will never work properly in Canoe as they are HiROM at those sizes.

Just out of curiosity. Would it be theoretically possible to convert a HiRom game to LoRom? Might be an unreasonable amount of work though?

EDIT: For Uniracers I can confirm what arkiokin wrote. The minor issue in multiplayer doesn't happen in the older uni5 patch, but is in the later ones. I also don't get any issues with uni5 in single player. (supposed wheel in corner)
So the best patch so far seems to be this uni5 one.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 09:06:24 am by CanoeFan »

mamertos

• View Profile
« Reply #796 on: March 25, 2018, 07:49:44 am »
Sorry for the bad quality of the video. Here you can see the Harvest Moon's graphic glitch I've been talking about. This ONLY happens in fall season at night through the forest. I have tested it with Snes9x and does NOT happen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6ZA7X_6wLc&feature=youtu.be

On the other hand, nice to see people taking care of running games with CANOE. Thanks to everyone for the hard job.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #797 on: March 25, 2018, 12:13:37 pm »
Sorry for the bad quality of the video. Here you can see the Harvest Moon's graphic glitch I've been talking about. This ONLY happens in fall season at night through the forest. I have tested it with Snes9x and does NOT happen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6ZA7X_6wLc&feature=youtu.be

On the other hand, nice to see people taking care of running games with CANOE. Thanks to everyone for the hard job.

Are you using the game's official ID? It's 104B or 104C.

If you are only using hakchi, then remember the ID has to be entered reversed like this 4B10 (press CTRL+ALT+E).
If you are using SFROM Tool to build the rom, then you enter the ID like this 104B (press F1).

If you were not using the ID, please use it and report back. If you were already using the ID, then please perform the following Retroarch test:

Load the game with retroarch. Just add -retroarch at the end of the commandline in hakchi. You'll know it has loaded with RA because if you press Select + Start, it will open the RA menu. Once you're sure it has loaded with RA, can you try the same area again and make a video of how it looks there?

« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 12:42:43 pm by reyvgm »

Robin64

• View Profile
« Reply #798 on: March 25, 2018, 12:44:27 pm »
All I'm seeing in the Harvest Moon video above is LCD blur. Let me get there myself and record a direct 60fps video.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: March 25, 2018, 12:47:33 pm »
Gekisou sentai = Sufami Turbo (ST). Don't know how to handle these yet.
Is the issue that Sufami Turbo games use a BIOS?
Does attaching the BIOS to the game (as early ROM dumps did) make it work?
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018