News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Snes emulators (Canoe, Snes9x) -- game problems and fixes  (Read 203236 times)

CanoeFan

• View Profile
Re: Snes emulators (Canoe, Snes9x) -- game problems and fixes
« Reply #620 on: March 17, 2018, 05:36:49 am »
Did some SaGa testing.

Romancing SaGa 2 needed verification according to sheet. Runs correctly as far as I can tell. Used 1093 which is is official ID according to the DarkAkuma sheet.

Now Romancing SaGa 3 is a tricky one.
Its official ID 10F6 enables Hires with te Rev 1 only. The 1.0 Version gives a C7 error.
I had an english ManaSword Translation at hand, but it is an 1.0 so C7. I also tested the completed spanish Translation, but since it was only on 1.0 there was also a C7 error. (the readme says it's for 1.0) I don't know if the translations work with Rev 1.

With 1016 however all versions work with Hires, including the translations. Of course this causes High Gamma again.
Does someone know if the translations are compatible with Rev 1?

Edit: I applied the spanish patch on a Rev1. It booted with 0000 (no Hires obviously) but 10F6 gives C7. 1016 works with hires but high Gamma of course.

Edit2: So it seems the only one that runs absolutely correctly is an untranlated japanese Rev1 with 10F6.See later post.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 07:05:30 am by CanoeFan »

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #621 on: March 17, 2018, 05:57:16 am »
Saga3 trans works with rev 1 just fine. You need to apply a header to the rom (easy tool called Tush on romhacking), apply trans, then remove header and it will work on SNESC.

Lots of old trans only work with headered roms. SNESC does not play roms with headers.

----------------

Here are IDs for games with hi-res modes that have been released on VC in case it would help someone.

1016 (Mario Picross)
1022 (Donkey Kong Country)
10A2 (Kirby 3)
10A3 (Kirby 3 J)
10B0 (Mana)
10B2 (Mana J
10F6 (Saga 3)
1101 (Rudra)
111E (Marvelous)

DarkAkuma has tested IDs 1000 through 1245 on Rudra, but the only one that has worked is 1016.
Interestingly, despite running in hi-res mode, Mario Picross doesn't actually have any hi-res assets (except a few very minor Japanese text. Everything  else is just normal res but at twice the size. DKC uses hi-res on the small RARE logo only. Kirby 3 uses hi-res on many stages for transparent objects in the foreground. Also for water.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 03:52:53 pm by reyvgm »

CanoeFan

• View Profile
« Reply #622 on: March 17, 2018, 07:01:25 am »
To make things complete I now tested the ManaSword translation on a Rev1 and it works correctly with its Preset ID 10F6. (Hires enabled)

Edit: Since 10F6 works with Rev1 but not with 1.0 something must be different between versions that causes this. Could this knowledge be useful to find out what exactly enables this ID? And if yes could this be used to enable this ID in other games as an alternative to 1016?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 07:33:09 am by CanoeFan »

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #623 on: March 17, 2018, 08:50:11 am »
10A2/10A4 creates extra Jurassic Park colored pixels. Thought of an idea to check whether those animation frames are accidentally being soft-patched by pid.

Demi helped remove some frustration - was 98% sure Bubsy / Blues had to be "PAL" type problems. Game just sends "play track" code and then does nothing until sfx are needed.

Saga3 = gamma. Sure. Have to spot check between rev1 and rev0 for any interesting changes.

Once I get Untouchables done, can reuse that code for other troublemakers. Partly showing logo.

===1+2
Untouchables (USA, 0000 pid, clean rom) -- ocean logo (new link)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/pqxj94
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 11:01:21 am by sluffy »

pimpinelephant

• View Profile
« Reply #624 on: March 17, 2018, 01:45:53 pm »
The Untouchables:

The patch correctly displays the "OCEAN" logo screen!

Treasure of the Rudras:

As stated earlier, the battle menu still displays the increased gamma unfortunately.
I've re-uploaded and cropped the "Battle Menu" picture due to my camera adding discoloration that I didn't notice until now. Apologies for that.
Comparison pictures:

Ace o Nerae!:

I created a video of the C7 error for reyvgm's list. I actually made this video a while ago, but it took me a while, to say the least, to finally edit it into something easier to look at. Exact same C7 error with vanilla and translated ROM.
Hopefully we'll be able to clarify every game that gives a C7 error.
Video of C7 Error

Super Star Wars:

I tested the latest patch earlier, but the list still says to test the patch, so I just wanted to make sure.
https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=25789.msg354030#msg354030

As for Romancing Saga 3, I believe its official Preset ID allows the game to work correctly (10F6). So I don't believe a patch is necessary for it. Please correct me if I am mistaken though.

And huh, that's really interesting about Mario's Super Picross! Thank you for that!

Mario's Super Picross utilizes a "psuedo-high resolution" mode. In this mode, the game is actually rendered at 512x224 resolution making for a long, distorted picture; to compensate for the distortion, the picture is then stretched vertically to emulate the standard pixel aspect ratio at 2x scale. This mode is only used for screens that use text to allow a higher level of detail to display the kana characters. The puzzles themselves and the menus are in the standard Super Famicom resolution, 256x224.

I've tried a bunch of different games with some of the "high resolution" Preset IDs, but unfortunately they have always just returned a C7 error, with the exceptions of Mario Picross, Kirby 3 (not true hi-res), and Rudra (ID does not enable hi-res). I know that some Preset IDs look for a specific ROM otherwise will just C7.
I was wondering reyvgm, do you by any chance happen to know of any games that actually work with these hi-res IDs that appear to be looking for something specific in the ROM?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 04:34:48 pm by pimpinelephant »

CanoeFan

• View Profile
« Reply #625 on: March 17, 2018, 02:06:25 pm »
As a comment to pimpinelephant's picture. The blue box in the left picture is the one that the gamma patch didn't fix. The blue box in the right picture is fixed by the gamma patch. The pictures don't show it very well.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 02:16:08 pm by CanoeFan »

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #626 on: March 17, 2018, 04:41:50 pm »
Could this knowledge be useful to find out what exactly enables this ID? And if yes could this be used to enable this ID in other games as an alternative to 1016?

Probably, unfortunately that involves disassembling the SNESC's code and no one has been able to do it yet.

The Untouchables:

The patch correctly displays the "OCEAN" logo screen!

What ID did you use? Sluffy said to use ID 0000 (which originally gave a C7 error).

I've tried a bunch of different games with some of the "high resolution" Preset IDs, but unfortunately they have always just returned a C7 error, with the exceptions of Mario Picross, Kirby 3 (pseudo hi-res), and Rudra (ID does not enable hi-res). I know that some Preset IDs look for a specific ROM otherwise will just C7.
I was wondering reyvgm, do you by any chance happen to know of any games that actually work with these hi-res IDs that appear to be looking for something specific in the ROM?

I don't know where you got that quote, but Mario Picross is not 512x224, it is 512x448. By taking screenshots with SNES9X, the images will come in the native resolution and all the hi-res areas of the game will be 512x448. Kirby is also not pseudo hi res (unless by pseudo it means that only partial assets are hi-res?).
DarkAkuma already tested IDs 0000-1245 on Rudra, and the only one that enabled hi-res was 1016. So apparently there's no magic ID that will fix all hi-res games :(

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #627 on: March 17, 2018, 05:07:42 pm »
Bsnes+ screenshot says Mario no Picross = 512x224. Checked myself and didn't see 2133 interlace 448 height being set.

Still working out some kinks in getting mode3 working for next game. Each one must custom tweak tile math, getting half-res pictures.

===1
Does Mickey's Playtown Adventure (1068) show title screen correctly? City + Game name?

(Put this back out of curiosity -- mode3 TS16 BG1+2. And game uses scroll trick here for large window. Be easier to avoid hacking this part.)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 07:05:08 pm by sluffy »

matt!

• JUS4QIX
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: March 17, 2018, 06:27:01 pm »
Probably, unfortunately that involves disassembling the SNESC's code and no one has been able to do it yet.
They have: me. I've shared the disassembly with various people but really we need to find somebody who is fluent in ARM assembly to help figure it out.

March 17, 2018, 06:33:03 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Edit: Since 10F6 works with Rev1 but not with 1.0 something must be different between versions that causes this. Could this knowledge be useful to find out what exactly enables this ID? And if yes could this be used to enable this ID in other games as an alternative to 1016?
You're coming at it the wrong way. The game doesn't enable the ID. The ID is manually attached to the game. The ID enables features or options in the emulator.

That said, the difference you've spotted should help us figure out what feature that ID enables.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 06:34:12 pm by matt! »

CanoeFan

• View Profile
« Reply #629 on: March 17, 2018, 06:46:08 pm »
They have: me. I've shared the disassembly with various people but really we need to find somebody who is fluent in ARM assembly to help figure it out.

March 17, 2018, 06:33:03 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
You're coming at it the wrong way. The game doesn't enable the ID. The ID is manually attached to the game. The ID enables features or options in the emulator.

That said, the difference you've spotted should help us figure out what feature that ID enables.

What I've ment is. The Rev1 version boots, the Rev0 however does not. So there must be something in the game that tells the emulator "boot me" with this ID. Some Kind of Switch. If this would just be a few certain Bytes and you patch them into another game than it might boot also with this ID.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #630 on: March 17, 2018, 07:27:51 pm »
Bsnes+ screenshot says Mario no Picross = 512x224. Checked myself and didn't see 2133 interlace 448 height being set.

God damn it, it's true. I gotta stop using SNES9X to test resolutions then. It's weird that Chrono Trigger's half resolution came out properly in screenshots, but Mario Picross one didn't.

pimpinelephant

• View Profile
« Reply #631 on: March 17, 2018, 07:53:26 pm »
Oh, sorry about that! I should have clarified that previously. I did, in fact, use Preset ID 0000. The game correctly displayed the Ocean logo and did not give me any C7 error. I played a little bit of the game as well.

By pseudo, I mean that in the sense that it doesn't render an actual horizontal 512 pixel background (true hi-res). It instead takes the horizontal 256 pixels of the main background and the sub background and then splits them pixel column by pixel column, alternating them into the odd and even columns respectively (technically creating horizontal 512, thus the name pseudo). Most hi-res games use this method for their text/menus.

Kirby 3 and Jurassic Park, on the other hand, also utilize this "pseudo" horizontal 512 but with a twist! They don't use Mode 5 (a true hi-res mode) like most of the other pseudo hi-res games, they instead use one of the other modes for their pseudo horizontal 512 (Mode 1). These are the only two games I know of that do this. By doing this, it allows them to take advantage of three backgrounds which Mode 1 provides, instead of just the two backgrounds that Mode 5 has. When combining the previously explained pseudo hi-res with the third background, a sort of "blending" occurs where in the space of two pixels, it visually appears as three pixels due to the third background. This is what causes the illusion of transparency that these two games display.
If I'm not mistaken of course! Please correct me if I'm wrong, I am dumb afterall.

It's definitely a bit disappointing due to the gamma that Preset ID 1016 appears to be the only one that works to enable hi-res for other games, but I should probably be happy that we at least have one ID that does do it. :thumbsup:

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #632 on: March 17, 2018, 08:08:12 pm »
Oh, sorry about that! I should have clarified that previously. I did, in fact, use Preset ID 0000. The game correctly displayed the Ocean logo and did not give me any C7 error. I played a little bit of the game as well.

Nice, thanks!

Sluffy, so this means that your patch makes The Untouchables boot and play with ID 0000 without having to use ID 1068 as before!

By pseudo, I mean that in the sense that it doesn't render an actual horizontal 512 pixel background (true hi-res). It instead takes the horizontal 256 pixels of the main background and the sub background and then splits them pixel column by pixel column, alternating them into the odd and even columns respectively (technically creating horizontal 512, thus the name pseudo). Most hi-res games use this method for their text/menus.

Yes I understand all that, it's just that I was relying on SNES9X's screenshots which were taking them in 512x448 instead of 512x224, and based on that, I said your quote was wrong. But it was I who was wrong.

matt!

• JUS4QIX
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: March 17, 2018, 09:15:12 pm »
What I've ment is. The Rev1 version boots, the Rev0 however does not. So there must be something in the game that tells the emulator "boot me" with this ID. Some Kind of Switch. If this would just be a few certain Bytes and you patch them into another game than it might boot also with this ID.
Sorry, you're still thinking about it from the wrong direction.

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #634 on: March 18, 2018, 10:25:15 am »
Little Magic - canoe (Japan, 0000 pid, clean rom)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/b0c2ry

Little Magic - snes9x (clean rom, new sound engine)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/1l3u99

Mickey's Playtown Adventure (Japan, 0000 pid, clean rom)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/yh68ez
-- Check title screen C7

American Tail (USA, 0000 pid, clean rom)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/xeyfhy
-- Irq tester5

Dennis the Menace (USA, 0000 pid, clean rom)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/qskuxo
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 12:16:16 pm by sluffy »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: March 18, 2018, 12:59:27 pm »
God damn it, it's true. I gotta stop using SNES9X to test resolutions then. It's weird that Chrono Trigger's half resolution came out properly in screenshots, but Mario Picross one didn't.
If I remember, when bsnes/higan had a screenshot function (so many years ago!), it always output 512-wide screens. I'm sure byuu had some technical reason for doing that. (maybe 512 was technically more accurate to what the hardware does and the usual 256 mode simply doubles the pixels? I'll assume he knows more than I do.)
Is possibly bsnes+ still based on a version that does that?
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #636 on: March 18, 2018, 01:04:26 pm »
Bsnes+ mostly shoots out 256x224 screens. And 512x224 for Kirby 3, Jurassic Park, Mario no Picross, half-res ones == only when activated.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #637 on: March 18, 2018, 01:17:09 pm »
If I remember, when bsnes/higan had a screenshot function (so many years ago!), it always output 512-wide screens. I'm sure byuu had some technical reason for doing that. (maybe 512 was technically more accurate to what the hardware does and the usual 256 mode simply doubles the pixels? I'll assume he knows more than I do.)
Is possibly bsnes+ still based on a version that does that?

You're thinking about the bsnes that came with "bsnes-accuracy.exe". That one captures in 512, while the regular bsnes captures images in the native resolution.

Demi tests

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie
The rogue letter in the bandai screen is now gone, so the patch has fixed it.

Little Magic
Latest patch WORKS. Music sounds good. Can see everything now! Stage screen, "Stage 1" and actual level tiles. Played 6 levels, no issues. Tested JPN rom and Translation. No issues

Mickey's Playtown Adventure - Day of Discovery
No patch: Confirming ID 1068 does not show visual concept logo.
Yes Patch: Latest patch loads game. See HiTech, VC, Legal. Then greenscreen and C7, no title screen.

Dennis the Menace
Latest patch works. See Ocean logo, title screen, start/options text, logo on options screen, all there. No issues.

American Tail
Latest patch does not work. Black screen.
Not sure what needs to be done. The previous patch (test4a) worked just fine. I played the entire first level.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 02:06:05 pm by reyvgm »

pimpinelephant

• View Profile
« Reply #638 on: March 18, 2018, 01:28:32 pm »
Dennis the Menace:

dennis1 + ID 0000 = Game appears to be working correctly now! The "Ocean" logo screen appeared correctly, as did every other screen. I played the game for a bit as well with no issues.

Little Magic:

magic2 + ID 0000 = This game also appears to be working correctly now! All graphics/sounds displayed correctly. I also played the game for a bit with no issues.

American Tail:

tail5 + ID 0000 = Just a black screen. No C7 error though.

Mickey's Playtown Adventure:

mickey3 + ID 0000 = "Hi-Tech Entertainment" screen displays. Then "Visual Concepts" screen displays. Then "Copyright/Licensed by Nintendo" screen displays. Then a C7 error.

And just an interesting piece of information in case anybody might find it useful. Somebody on Reddit appears to have found the SHA-1 hash that Canoe looks for within the SRAM file in the cases of Super Mario RPG as well as Yoshi's Island.
Reddit Thread

Super Mario RPG SRAM file:
SHA-1 of offsets 0 - 1FFC

Yoshi's Island SRAM file:
SHA-1 of offsets 7C00 - 7E7B

I tested this myself, and after importing my own SRAM files (created with Higan) into the Classic, I was able to load my save files that I had just imported (for both games).

PM_ME_GANABRUBY

• View Profile
« Reply #639 on: March 18, 2018, 04:46:29 pm »
-Hameln no Violin Hiki:
The first boss has garbled graphics. Tested on 1068 pid with and without translation and on 0000 pid with translation.

The Great Battle V clean JPN ROM works perfectly on Canoe, but The Great Battle V with Aeon Genesis's translation released this very month introduces a few minor graphic glitches (tested on 0000 pid) EDIT: On further testing, they also happen on other PC emulators, so they're issues with the translation patch itself, not Canoe and therefore outside the scope of this topic
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 07:40:57 pm by PM_ME_GANABRUBY »