News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Snes emulators (Canoe, Snes9x) -- game problems and fixes  (Read 223353 times)

reyvgm

• View Profile
Re: Snes emulators (Canoe, Snes9x) -- game problems and fixes
« Reply #580 on: March 15, 2018, 09:05:00 pm »
Rudra - Test 1-1, 1-3, 1-5, 1-8 all show the menus using ID 1016. Gamma looks pretty much the same to me on these tests.

By looks the same you mean the same bright like without the patch, or that the gamma is dark (normal) in all the patches?

Bosco82

• View Profile
« Reply #581 on: March 15, 2018, 09:06:25 pm »
The gamma looks the same to me in all 4 patches that show the menus correctly.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #582 on: March 15, 2018, 09:09:05 pm »
The gamma looks the same to me in all 4 patches that show the menus correctly.

Ok but the 'gamma is the same' on text boxes mean that they all look correct, or that they look same the incorrect way (bright text boxes)

WRONG GAMMA

Correct Gamma

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #583 on: March 15, 2018, 09:14:37 pm »
Ranger trial (0000 pid) -- soft reset?
https://www.sendspace.com/file/w7x0sc

Found 1 possible sticky spot. Shouldn't keep read / write same apu port very quickly with new values as sync shake.

I'm going to try auto-saying pid always now. And auto-merge patches for Canoe. If someone wants for snes9x (basically just about me and me), then I'll release separate on request.

Bosco82

• View Profile
« Reply #584 on: March 15, 2018, 09:16:49 pm »
All of the text boxes are the dark color as in the correct gamma screen

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #585 on: March 15, 2018, 09:19:54 pm »
All of the text boxes are the dark color as in the correct gamma screen

Ahh, excellent. So the patch fixes all problems then. Gamma and the black menus. Nice!

March 15, 2018, 09:27:08 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

Found 1 possible sticky spot. Shouldn't keep read / write same apu port very quickly with new values as sync shake.

I'm going to try auto-saying pid always now. And auto-merge patches for Canoe. If someone wants for snes9x (basically just about me and me), then I'll release separate on request.

You could always have a rar/zip with all the separate available patches for a game, and also include a One in All patch. If you name or number them with proper descriptions, then people should have no issues and no one will pester you to make specific patches. I would also include a readme.txt with your credit and whatever explanation you might want to add.

And by the way, sendspace will delete your uploaded files if you are not paying for an account and if no one downloads the file after a (few?) months. If you want to keep your patches online forever and want people to be able to download them, then get a Mega account (http://mega.co.nz). It's free and doesn't delete your files.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 09:30:58 pm by reyvgm »

etiel

• View Profile
« Reply #586 on: March 15, 2018, 09:34:45 pm »

Maybe someone can help creating a list with the snes9x patches? This reminds me of something: the patches you've uploaded so far for Little Magic fixed the game (at least for me) in snes9x; so snes9x patches are still appreciated. Any progress/ideas for the game working in canoe? - just hoping it's not forgotten, have been playing the game a lot in snes9x :P

Two questions:
- So for Rudra, just use any patch?

- Apply on top of AIO patch? Judging by the size of the file, it seems this is AIO+soft reset. Testing...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 09:49:57 pm by etiel »

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #587 on: March 15, 2018, 09:43:12 pm »
I tweaked Little Magic sound patch to be more stable, but didn't release because graphics engine needs rewriting for Canoe. And that takes lots of vram. Which is why I'm kinda sitting on the harder ones (Mystic Ark looks full).

===1 Edit read
Rudra = use test1-1 I guess. Simplest method since menu actually (amazingly) works okay.

Ranger = use on clean rom. Guess I should point that out too.

sendspace since these are "temps". Maybe more "permanent later".
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 09:53:02 pm by sluffy »

etiel

• View Profile
« Reply #588 on: March 15, 2018, 10:29:55 pm »

Sluffy you're unbelievable. Rendering Ranger soft reset now works!!

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #589 on: March 15, 2018, 10:47:32 pm »
Sluffy you're unbelievable. Rendering Ranger soft reset now works!!

Yay!

Make an all in one patch if you can to add that one to the doc.

etiel

• View Profile
« Reply #590 on: March 15, 2018, 11:07:52 pm »
Rudra:

- Tested all patches with vanilla and translated rom.
- Can confirm that patches 1-11 and 1-13 don't work with pid 1610 (black menus).
- In snes 9x, 1-5 and 1-13 menus are the closest to original, albeit darker. The others don't have the color gradients found in the original.
- In canoe, all working patches are the same (or very similar), i.e. menus are a bit brighter than the original and without the gradient. The difference is very minor, what matters here is the hires font and the menus work.

So it doesn't really matter which patch you choose, I went for 1-1, as sluffy said.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #591 on: March 15, 2018, 11:11:23 pm »
Rudra:

- Can confirm that patches 1-11 and 1-13 don't work with pid 1610 (black menus).
- In snes 9x, 1-5 and 1-13 menus are the closest to original , albeit darker. The others don't have the color gradients found in the original.
- In canoe, all working patches are the same (or very similar), i.e. menus are a bit brighter than the original and without the gradient. The difference is very minor, what matters here is the hires font and the menus work.

Well the point is not really to get the games running. That can be done by installing Retroarch. The point is having the game playing on Canoe perfectly as if Nintendo themselves would have added the game (as long as Sluffy is able and willing).

So none of the patches actually show the correct gamma in text boxes and don't show the color gradient then?

This is the color gradient in the menu

This is how the text boxes should look:

You're saying the Canoe patch doesn't look like that?

etiel

• View Profile
« Reply #592 on: March 15, 2018, 11:19:07 pm »
You're saying the Canoe patch doesn't look like that?

Yes, exactly. The textboxes are a bit brighter and the menu is also brighter and without the gradient.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #593 on: March 15, 2018, 11:20:17 pm »
Yes, exactly. The textboxes are a bit brighter and the menu is also brighter and without the gradient.

Thanks. Ok, so it's not really perfect then. Hopefully sluffy can put out another patch trying to fix that.

Demi tested Dark Law.
You asked: "Dark Law gamma test1 -- top menu should be normal-ish. bottom should be dark or black (mistake). Would like to know if this is what happens before moving on"

Results: The patch now removes the top and bottom part of the menu. Screenshot taken with ID 1016. Incorrect findings, ignore.

Previous screenshot with ID 0000:

With ID 0000, there is a color/brightness gradient in menus (correct behavior). The text is blurry. The menus and text boxes have glitches in the bottom.
With ID 1016, the color/brightness gradient is missing. The text will be hi-res. The menus and text boxes have glitches in the bottom.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 12:16:41 am by reyvgm »

Bosco82

• View Profile
« Reply #594 on: March 15, 2018, 11:50:18 pm »
It's not sluffy's patch causing the top and bottom of the screen to get cut off it does the same thing without it, the ID is causing it to happen

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #595 on: March 15, 2018, 11:58:59 pm »
Thanks.

Demi responded that he probably loaded a save from a previous game, that you are correct in saying that ID 1016 does the same thing without the patch.

So if you tested the patch, did you notice any differences in the gamma or any darker or black menus? That's all sluffy wants to know. He's trying to pinpoint what his actions are modifying in the game.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 12:22:26 am by reyvgm »

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #596 on: March 16, 2018, 11:27:08 am »
Rendering Ranger -- last patch = release build for Canoe. One patch and play.

Dark Law / Rudra -- that gradient. 1016 is going to be a problem. Have to look for another Canoe backdoor method, although Soul Blazer proved there might not be one other than another pid switch. Officially I'd mark Rudra as "partial" working -- playable with side-effects.

CanoeFan

• View Profile
« Reply #597 on: March 16, 2018, 11:35:54 am »
Speaking of pal games, European language versions of Secret of Mana might need a Gamma fix to. Only ID that enables hires is 1016 again, which causes high Gamma in menu. All other Preset IDs that I testet even the official ones according to the DarkAkuma sheet give a C7 error. Though I only testet the German language version.

Tommorow I also will play through Rendering Ranger again with the latest Overscan Patch and give a report.

Like I said here, I played through Rendering Ranger R2 again, now using the latest all in one patch.
Game was playable from start to finish. No sound problems. No graphic issues in stage 7.

But: See this Explosion issue therourke posted for Gun hazard.
https://youtu.be/ijvyIbQXGys

This happens here also quite often with explosions or even enemies or bosses, when there is a lot of stuff going on. Also flickering sprites or HUD can happen with lots of stuff going on.
When the big door opens at the boss fight in stage 5, the HUD had graphic issues. (part of the helmet was missing)
I don't know if These are bugs or the game is just that demanding.

EDIT: I played on hard, Preset ID 0000 and with cheats, just to specify that.
For the mana test: 10AF, 10B0, 10B1, 10B2, 10B3 (different mana IDs)and 10F6 (Romancing SaGa 3) all gave C7 error.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 11:48:17 am by CanoeFan »

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #598 on: March 16, 2018, 11:52:04 am »
Sunset Riders looks more like irq timing misfire.

Front Mission uses lots of sprites. 1st thought would be Canoe sprite limit problem. Alien 3 / Outlander / Mohawk, but worse here.

Rendering Ranger ... sounds similar. But I'd need to run some sprite checks. On both really.

Mana PAL. Add to queue.

pimpinelephant

• View Profile
« Reply #599 on: March 16, 2018, 01:24:05 pm »
Super Star Wars:

The Trench Battle issues occur on other Preset IDs. The issue with Super Star Wars' ID is no lightsaber sound effects.

Patch results:
10EA = Nothing different, obviously. No lightsaber sound effects. Trench Battle layers correctly.
10EF = Trench Battle still layered incorrectly, unfortunately.

Treasure of the Rudras:

Used patch test1-1.

I didn't notice any difference in gamma/brightness with the text boxes between Preset ID 1016 with patch compared to Preset ID 1101.
Comparison pictures (Left is ID 1101 with no patch. Right is ID 1016 with patch):

Although ID 1016 with patch does not display the gradient in menus.
Picture 1

But with the patch, the game now correctly displays the menus as well as displays the correct gamma. I would consider this a success, awesome job Sluffy!

Dark Law:

Used Preset ID 1016.

It appears that the same issues still persist, unfortunately. Doesn't appear as if anything is different.
Picture 1
Picture 2
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 03:00:28 pm by pimpinelephant »