News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Snes emulators (Canoe, Snes9x) -- game problems and fixes  (Read 258349 times)

sluffy

• View Profile
Re: Canoe official snes emulator -- problems and fixes
« Reply #120 on: February 22, 2018, 08:51:37 pm »
Gotcha. New ones to study. It'll end somewhere. I'm actually almost impressed given Canoe's game library performance so far. Just they cut some corners too early (if they gave you guys a preset id for 34 or 36 sprite limit, several games would magically drop off that list).

https://www.sendspace.com/file/hv3lol
Not promising Cool World will work. Based on docs picture (score hud is scrolled over -- not easily glitchable), 1st idea I can think of trying.

DarkAkuma

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 22, 2018, 09:11:32 pm »
Kirby's Dream Land 3 sram is working. DarkAkuma's tool gives 10A4 (E-PAL Preset ID). 10A2 (E-NTSC Preset ID). Docs as of 2018-02-21 mention it doesn't work. So update please. ;)

I'll clarify here for whoever.

I purposely use 0x10A4 for the E-NTSC version instead of 0x10A2 because, in truth, both ID's are for the E-NTSC version of the ROM. Nintendo often reserved an ID for a E-PAL version, but ended up releasing the E-NTSC version in PAL regions with that ID. And that's the case with KDL3.

So both are valid and official for the E-NTSC ROM, but I chose 0x10A4 because I've read reports that with it SRAM saving works better, though not 100% perfect. The difference being that a SRAM that's created with a Save State won't load, but normal SRAM saves will now work fine.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 22, 2018, 09:38:22 pm »

Kirby's Dream Land 3 sram is working. DarkAkuma's tool gives 10A4 (E-PAL Preset ID). 10A2 (E-NTSC Preset ID). Docs as of 2018-02-21 mention it doesn't work. So update please. ;)

If Kirby 3 hasn't been patched, then it's still not working correctly. The problem is the DOC is not very detailed as to what exactly is wrong with the SRAM. Everybody assumes the SRAM doesn't work at all. But it does work, sometimes.

In the case of Front Mission GH, the SRAM plainly doesn't work as soon as you turn off the game. But in the case of Kirby 3, it works just fine, but other times it doesn't. Robin, and many people (including me), have done many tests and found that the game saves just fine, and you can load the save just fine too (even after turning off the system). But sometimes, either because of something specific or random, the SRAM will get deleted next time you boot the game.

So both are valid and official for the E-NTSC ROM, but I chose 0x10A4 because I've read reports that with it SRAM saving works better, though not 100% perfect. The difference being that a SRAM that's created with a Save State won't load, but normal SRAM saves will now work fine.

I can load my SRAM just fine right now and it was created by using save states too. That's the thing. It's too unreliable to tell. And it happens easily for some, and rarely for others.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 09:43:31 pm by reyvgm »

DarkAkuma

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 22, 2018, 09:51:32 pm »
I can load my SRAM just fine right now and it was created by using save states too. That's the thing. It's too unreliable to tell. And it happens easily for some, and rarely for others.

KDL3 is not a game I play. I've just gone off reports. Several said 0x10A4 worked better, but only one tried to describe in what way it was better. So maybe that one guy is wrong on his specifics.

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 22, 2018, 09:55:43 pm »
Yes, details beginning to make sense. Was confused about KDL3 -- told it works, doesn't, magic preset ids. Basic: game doesn't reliably work and needs patch. Thing about randomly "erasing" the save .. there's sa-1 write enable / protection setting. Maybe Canoe gets finicky about this value, but never checked this game (sa-1 core is very new to me).

So shutting down emu inside "save screen" area would be safe. But questionable during playfield. Or so I dream.

Augusta 3 (sa-1) -- idk why emu gets confused over dma from bw-ram bank 40. Works in 1.43 but not 1.51. Doing more research.

Augusta 2 -- can't get this to glitch yet in emu. But I'm known to overlook things very easily and distractable.

DarkAkuma

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 22, 2018, 10:27:24 pm »
Yes, details beginning to make sense. Was confused about KDL3 -- told it works, doesn't, magic preset ids. Basic: game doesn't reliably work and needs patch. Thing about randomly "erasing" the save .. there's sa-1 write enable / protection setting. Maybe Canoe gets finicky about this value, but never checked this game (sa-1 core is very new to me).

So shutting down emu inside "save screen" area would be safe. But questionable during playfield. Or so I dream.

To be fair, some of the confusion is likely due to hakchi2 setting the wrong Preset ID. It sets it to SMRPGs ID, which works and saves, but causes canoe to not render water transparency correctly. So there are people out there that will say KDL3 SRAM saving works correctly based off that. Also, I only recently changed the default ID from 0x10A2 to 0x10A4 in a recent update of SFROM Tool, which should further add to confusion.

FormerTree

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 23, 2018, 12:30:25 am »
RE: Final Fantasy Mystic Quest

The second patch (ffmq_rev1.ips) works perfectly. Started new games on both US revisions of the game and played through to the end of Level Forest. No issues where it used to be super bad flickering.

The files I used were:
v1.0 -> CRC32 0x6B19A2C6 -> patch -> CRC32 0x7357CE65
v1.1 -> CRC32 0x2C52C792 -> patch -> CRC32 0x22C72214

Thank you again sluffy, this is really tremendous work. I get the sense you enjoy learning more about how the SNES does this stuff, but still I'm very grateful that you're doing all this stuff, taking requests, and getting nothing in return. Really, really appreciate it.

Your name is Ay-ay-ron?

Until I looked at my screenshot, I was simply amazed by your powers of deduction. The Key and Peele skit ruined my life, LOL.

Here's an unusual one. Tiny Toon Adventures - Wacky Sports Challenges is a minigame collection that contains around 18-20 minigames, all of which work perfectly except two, which both have serious graphic errors.

First, this is the password you can input to get to the Level Select menu, so you can easily test the issues:

The Weightlifting game has an issue:

You can see that the weights are not properly rendered in front of the characters. Here's a video (jump to 5 minutes 20 seconds) of what that mini-game is supposed to look like

The Lumberjack game has an issue:

There are supposed to be trees in front of the characters. Here's a video (jump to 34 minutes 30 seconds) of what the mini-game is supposed to look like

I think these are the same bug, since all of the other minigames are very different -- some are platforming games, for example. These two are very similar in that both of them involve button mashing with the characters standing still in this perspective. So I expect one fix will probably fix both problems.

I tried every other game type at least once and didn't notice any obvious problems. There's some slowdown in the top-down running levels but I believe that was just as bad on a real SNES. Not sure if anyone else has played this game and noticed any bugs I didn't report.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 01:30:24 am by FormerTree »

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 23, 2018, 08:39:30 am »
Just so I can verify how Canoe is drawing things, asking for

Screenshots
- Augusta 2
- Augusta 3
- Cho Aniki: Bakuretsu Ranto Hen (special move)
- Super Battleship
- Super Play Action Football
- Top Gear (several issues)
- True Golf Classics: Wicked 18
- World Class Rugby (PAL to NTSC patched)
- WWF Super Wrestlemania
(list trimmed, thanks to Robin64)

Annoying for me to ask. But I'm in point to "beg" for more data. Thanks for any help here.

Previous tester patches, in no hurry to find out results. lol.

Top Gear 2 = no clue why it breaks. Not happening anywhere else.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 07:34:59 pm by sluffy »

Zimgief

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 23, 2018, 08:49:45 am »
Oh, regarding Dragon Ball Z 2 La L├ęgende Sayen (PAL French), I forgot to tell that I tested it on Canoe, and it works perfectly!

matt!

• JUS4QIX
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 23, 2018, 09:58:47 am »
I'll grab screens and/or videos of games I've mentioned this weekend.

Will also do some testing. Is there a list of untested hmm

Robin64

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 23, 2018, 11:29:48 am »
I'll be making a load of videos requested when I get home in about an hour.  :thumbsup:

Bosco82

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 23, 2018, 12:06:48 pm »
There's an issue with Dragon Ball Z Super Saiya Densetsu which is the overscan problem again, the text boxes and menus run off the bottom of the screen

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 23, 2018, 12:25:50 pm »
It's a bit hard to count from that picture but I think the SNES Classic might be using the "correct" NTSC overscan size. (CRTs would always cut off some varying amount, I think 16 pixels from all edges of the screen is usually considered a safe allowance)
I think the "correct" size has a height of 240 pixels (30 tiles) whereas overscan-safe is 224 (28 tiles).
Using a fan translation, it's harder to say, since that was likely not made with CRT-safe overscan in mind (extending the window and text to the edge of the screen). How does the original Japanese version look?

(I'm not sure on the SNES, but I know the NES always outputs 240 lines, even though some games were designed to assume the top and bottom 8 lines would never be seen for an effective 224 lines)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Bosco82

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 23, 2018, 12:39:45 pm »
I loaded up the Japanese version on my SNES Classic and it looks exactly the same, the bottom of the screen is cut off, it is reproducible in snes9x if that helps being able to track this down.

Zimgief

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 23, 2018, 01:45:38 pm »
Robin, to answer your question on resetera, to crawl(slide, in fact) in Nosferatu, you have to run then push down and attack, if i'm not mistaken (otherwise, something else a bit non-intuitive).

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 23, 2018, 01:51:51 pm »

Until I looked at my screenshot, I was simply amazed by your powers of deduction. The Key and Peele skit ruined my life, LOL.

Sorry man, but that skit is just way too funny and I haven't been able to stop saying ay-ay-ron.

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 23, 2018, 07:27:18 pm »
Thanks everyone for taking time to pitch in. Will try to find time over weeks to get to everything at least once.

Tiny Toons Wacky Sports tester
https://www.sendspace.com/file/fy3gzp

I believe because BG3OFS = 3FF, supposed to read offset-per-tile ydelta at BG3NT=4C00. But bad emus read from BG3NT=4C20. So pushed to "expected" location.

iirc: Bust-a-Move / Puzzle Bobble also use dreaded OPT. WWF Arcade uses OPT and might re-inspect that one again since worked on TTA:WS.

For Dragon Ball Z Super Saiya Densetsu, maybe possible to scroll entire text screen up 16px to make box visible. And still fit within 224 lines. But haven't played game to find out.

Nice to hear Mystic Quest is blink-free. That almost implies Marvel Super Heroes works also.

Docs still mention Super Ninja Boy overscan issue. Maybe I missed some.?

Going to get those videos and get around to Daffy Duck if none are easy to tinker. I'd say we're doing pretty well as a community so far.

Oh and sorry. Writeups take time and those will have to wait. Want to spend valuable time cranking out more patches. I'm not Ken Silverman where pain = 1 hour of his life.

thoughts:
Cool World -- very helpful. Need to go frame-by-frame later to see exactly when scroll bug signaled.

Nosferatu -- When you land in dungeon, notice how very large left crate appears on right side. That's Uniracers big sprite bug (Canoe). Still don't know how to workaround it. And I think some zombie briefly did that ~0156 also.

Speed Racer -- had to blow it up big and go slow. See the flicker line now.

Street Racer -- might be Alien 3 RTO Canoe problem. Too many big sprites.

Alien vs Predator -- 2 frames on. 1 frame off. Hmm. Unsure still but gives more clues.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 07:53:28 pm by sluffy »

FormerTree

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 23, 2018, 09:30:09 pm »
Tiny Toons Wacky Sports tester
https://www.sendspace.com/file/fy3gzp

I believe because BG3OFS = 3FF, supposed to read offset-per-tile ydelta at BG3NT=4C00. But bad emus read from BG3NT=4C20. So pushed to "expected" location.

Did not fix weightlifting. It didn't fix the wood cutting either, but now the wood cutting does a weird thing where the trees sort of move every time someone cuts them? Here's a screenshot from after a 10-15 seconds of gameplay:

Don't think it was doing that before. Thanks again. If the answer isn't obvious don't feel like you need to make this a priority, it's OK!

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 23, 2018, 10:16:59 pm »

Nosferatu -- When you land in dungeon, notice how very large left crate appears on right side. That's Uniracers big sprite bug (Canoe). Still don't know how to workaround it. And I think some zombie briefly did that ~0156 also.

Nosferatu has 2 issues right now. The first is right there at the beginning. For some reason part of the left background/objects appear as a vertical frame on the right side of the screen. However, that only happens prominently in that first segment. Haven't tested other levels, but it doesn't happen again for the entirely of level 1.
The second issue is when you get to the boss area. There are some zombies that appear before you get to the boss, and those zombies are invisible or parts of their body are invisible. Same for the boss.

Hopefully Robin will make a video of it soon.