News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Snes emulators (Canoe, Snes9x) -- game problems and fixes  (Read 406577 times)

91-MPH

• View Profile
Re: Snes emulators (Canoe, Snes9x) -- game problems and fixes
« Reply #3000 on: June 18, 2019, 09:59:50 pm »
I have an idea.

Instead of making a canoe patch for the Switch Rom of Trial of Mana, why don't we make a patch from scratch, that ports the English script of the Switch rom to the Japanese snes rom.
And the font can be VWF instead of hi-res so that it won't look ugly when working on canoe.

In other words, give Trials of Mana the "FFV-GBA Script Port" treatment.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 02:19:11 pm by 91-MPH »

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3001 on: June 20, 2019, 04:41:48 pm »
I have an idea.

Instead of making a canoe patch for the Switch Rom of Trial of Mana, why don't we make a patch from scratch, that ports the English script of the Switch rom to the Japanese snes rom.
And the font can be VWF instead of hi-res so that it won't look ugly when working on canoe.

Making a VWF for the Japanese SNES ROM as a fan sounds like a pretty big challenge. The Seiken Densetsu collecttion came out in Japan in 2017, so I'm thinking it took them quite a long time for them to hack the game and add their own localization.

Porting the English script probably isn't necessary either; the fan translation has been more than serviceable, and doesn't take the weird liberty of giving Charlotte baby talk.  ::) If anything, a minor script edit would fix most of its issues, and giving it a slightly smaller font would probably help, too. Changing the title screen to "Trials of Mana" would finish off the official look.
free sluffy

Zimgief

• View Profile
« Reply #3002 on: June 22, 2019, 03:39:37 am »
Frankly, I compared the first minutes of Duran and Angela's scenarios from the two versions, and the unofficial translation is nothing to be ashamed of.
To make it more official, it would only need to use Trials of Mana's title, names (ex. Benevodon, characters, items, skills, etc.), and remove these ugly additions : https://www.romhacking.net/?page=translations&action=images&id=440&imageid=1 (the adress mentioned on the screen doesn't even work anymore).

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #3003 on: June 22, 2019, 09:14:13 am »
I have an idea.

Who is this "we" you're talking about?

If you make a patch from scratch then you just end up turning the regular ROM into what they did with the Switch ROM. And if there's already an official ROM, why go through all the trouble?

The ROM will still need to be expanded, and Canoe will not accept it unless sluffy comes back and magically finds a way to make a patch. The base vanilla game already has trouble running on Canoe, needing a bunch of patches to fix graphic mistakes, and there's still slowdown and music glitches in some areas.

It's best to just run the game with retroarch.

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3004 on: June 27, 2019, 12:40:37 am »
Who is this "we" you're talking about?

If you make a patch from scratch then you just end up turning the regular ROM into what they did with the Switch ROM. And if there's already an official ROM, why go through all the trouble?

The ROM will still need to be expanded, and Canoe will not accept it unless sluffy comes back and magically finds a way to make a patch. The base vanilla game already has trouble running on Canoe, needing a bunch of patches to fix graphic mistakes, and there's still slowdown and music glitches in some areas.

It's best to just run the game with retroarch.

i miss sluffy

the fan-translation is great, also, apparently there's a lot of slowdown running Trials in Retroarch according to the SNES Mini mods subreddit
free sluffy

OldeManMoon

• View Profile
« Reply #3005 on: June 28, 2019, 03:38:16 pm »
Can anyone help?
I'm looking for the latest Canoe fixes and have come across a problem.

I've been following Sluffy's Canoe Fixes spread sheet page that links to this site as those fixes seem the most up to date.
Problem is it links to posts that give links to the Canoe fixes, usual sendspace that no longer exists.
I've been to Robin64 site and grabbed the 1.6 pack but does not seem up to date (only of last year)
The pack by Lich on the first page of this thread is out of date.
So far it seems if I didn't grab the canoe fixes as and when they were posted they have now gone.
Cannot track them down as I've no idea if the other spreadsheets link to upto date Canoe fixes.

It's very confusing.
Hopefully someone can help.

Bosco82

• View Profile
« Reply #3006 on: June 28, 2019, 10:02:34 pm »
All the patches are available on a game by game basis on the compatibility list here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12HKfz4ZQBy6Ip5awvh8t2aV5cVswYlnsdKxn9xoIW2Y/edit#gid=2014317767

Dasha-Supa

• View Profile
« Reply #3007 on: June 30, 2019, 08:51:47 pm »
Is there a way to run guitarpalooz’s "Return to New York" hack of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on the NES classic? The game freezes before the title screen, regardless of which core I use.

svenge

• View Profile
« Reply #3008 on: July 01, 2019, 02:23:40 am »
Is there a way to run guitarpalooz’s "Return to New York" hack of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on the NES classic? The game freezes before the title screen, regardless of which core I use.

From the looks of things it's a rather non-standard hack, as it uses the MMC5 mapper instead of the MMC1 that the original game had.  However it works just fine in FCEUX 2.2.3 (for Windows), so it should work in at least one of the Retroarch cores available for the NESC. 

Dasha-Supa

• View Profile
« Reply #3009 on: July 01, 2019, 03:08:13 pm »
From the looks of things it's a rather non-standard hack, as it uses the MMC5 mapper instead of the MMC1 that the original game had.  However it works just fine in FCEUX 2.2.3 (for Windows), so it should work in at least one of the Retroarch cores available for the NESC.

No luck. I tried it with FCEUmm, Nestopia and QuickNES core, but none of them could run this hack on the NES classic. I am not sure if it is a problem with the MMC5 mapper. FCEUX can run the Japanese version of Castlevania 3 that uses the MMC5 mapper.

Edit: As pointed out, I was mistaken about which version of Castlevania 3 that uses the MMC5 mapper.

But point of my original post was guitarpalooz’s "Return to New York" TMNT hack will not run on the NES classic. Would anyone be able to help me resolve this problem?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 11:14:30 am by Dasha-Supa »

Samus12345

• View Profile
« Reply #3010 on: July 02, 2019, 10:32:30 am »
FCEUX can run the Japanese version of Castlevania 3 that uses the MMC5 mapper.

The Japanese Castlevania III uses the VRC6 mapper. It's the American one that uses MMC5, which the NES Classic's default emulator kachikachi can run as well.

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3011 on: July 05, 2019, 03:03:03 am »
Frankly, I compared the first minutes of Duran and Angela's scenarios from the two versions, and the unofficial translation is nothing to be ashamed of.
To make it more official, it would only need to use Trials of Mana's title, names (ex. Benevodon, characters, items, skills, etc.), and remove these ugly additions : https://www.romhacking.net/?page=translations&action=images&id=440&imageid=1 (the adress mentioned on the screen doesn't even work anymore).

Seconded. In Seiken Densetsu 3's hacks page, there have been multiple title screen replacements. Hopefully someone can rip the Trials of Mana title graphics and replace them.
free sluffy