Snes emulators (Canoe, Snes9x) -- game problems and fixes

Started by sluffy, February 10, 2018, 11:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teahouser

Awesome, thanks Bosco!

I plan on laying through Lufia II for the first time, I have a question about it's current state. Unpatched, is the only issue garbled credits at the end? Does the game have any sort of new game+ feature that the glitched credits will make me unable to access, or is it purely cosmetic? I know that the current canoe patch fixes the credits but causes some other graphical issues, but I'd rather just deal with scrambled credits if thats the only thing it affects than have other graphic issues in game.

Spottedfeather

On my SNES Classic, I love Super Battleship. But after the opening logo, the screen is covered with faint, though distracting, dots in pairs....all across the screen. I can play the game just fine, but the dots just bother me. I asked on another forum and was pointed to an ips patch....but I wasn't told what it does nor what to do with it. Any ideas ?

Bosco82

Download Lunar IPS from here https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/240/
Download IPS patch https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dP9L8IjI8rGZXKARzEVSWGmuIAzSgp9Q/view
Run Lunar IPS, select ips patch, then select rom to patch, it will apply the patch to the rom
The patch was made by sluffy to fix the issues the stock rom has when playing it in Canoe

Spottedfeather

and then just replace the patched rom using hakchi, right ?


reyvgm

Quote from: teahouser on June 08, 2018, 03:52:17 PM
Awesome, thanks Bosco!

I plan on laying through Lufia II for the first time, I have a question about it's current state. Unpatched, is the only issue garbled credits at the end? Does the game have any sort of new game+ feature that the glitched credits will make me unable to access, or is it purely cosmetic? I know that the current canoe patch fixes the credits but causes some other graphical issues, but I'd rather just deal with scrambled credits if thats the only thing it affects than have other graphic issues in game.

Lufia 2 has two issues
-High resolution credits are garbled.
-Missing effects during battle when using certain magic.

Sluffy's patch didn't "fix" the credits, he just changed the font so it displays on a regular resolution, and thus, making them readable.
The magic effects issue was not caused was sluffy.

If you want a perfect game, use retroarch. The game doesn't have a newgame +.

bobrocks95

Hi, has anyone looked at the Link to the Past Super Metroid randomizer?

The romhack makes it into a 6MB rom, which from what I understand would imply it's using ExHiROM mapping, something that Canoe does not support.

I see that Sluffy made a Canoe patch for the English translation of Dragon Quest III, another hack with ExHiROM mapping: http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=25789.msg358016#msg358016

His post on it isn't very informative as to what the patch actually does though...  It lists the memory mapping of an ExHiROM rom, but that's it.

Can anyone give me any more information on what Sluffy's patch does?  He makes it sound like an easy fix, but I don't know where to get started on reverse engineering his DQ3 patch.

SupaSAIAN

Quote from: bobrocks95 on June 08, 2018, 11:05:02 PM
Hi, has anyone looked at the Link to the Past Super Metroid randomizer?

The romhack makes it into a 6MB rom, which from what I understand would imply it's using ExHiROM mapping, something that Canoe does not support.

I see that Sluffy made a Canoe patch for the English translation of Dragon Quest III, another hack with ExHiROM mapping: http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=25789.msg358016#msg358016

His post on it isn't very informative as to what the patch actually does though...  It lists the memory mapping of an ExHiROM rom, but that's it.

Can anyone give me any more information on what Sluffy's patch does?  He makes it sound like an easy fix, but I don't know where to get started on reverse engineering his DQ3 patch.

I don't remember what Sluffy exactly said about Dragon Quest III patch, but this is what he said about A Link To The Past - Super Metroid Ramdomizer:
https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=25789.msg359144#msg359144

Zimgief

reyvgm: completely off-topic, but I stumbled on a old post of yours on gbc hidden gems, and I must say that the games you wrote about were really hidden and real gems. Vast knowledge of yours. Thanks a lot. If you have recommandations for other systems, I would be happy to read about them. :)

Bosco: continuing my playthrough of Treasure of the Rudras, I noticed the screen flickers sometimes (rarely) very briefly. I don't remember it was the case with sluffy's patch which didn't fix bosses' death animation. Not a big deal at all, and I don't know how to reproduce it, but I thought I should report this if anyone can confirm.

bobrocks95

Quote from: SupaSAIAN on June 09, 2018, 07:09:16 AM
I don't remember what Sluffy exactly said about Dragon Quest III patch, but this is what he said about A Link To The Past - Super Metroid Ramdomizer:
https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=25789.msg359144#msg359144

Ah, thank you for the link!  I didn't go back far enough in the thread, and I didn't search for abbreviations.

Well, that's that then.  Sucks that it would be so complex, but I'm just glad to have closure on it.

reyvgm


pimpinelephant

A little update for Ganbare! Daiku no Gen-san.

Progress is being made!

I've been able to pinpoint what exactly is causing the game to get stuck after the IREM logo.
It's an APU timing issue, which Sluffy already knew and tried to fix with previous patches.
But it's not like ActRaiser 2, where switching to slowROM fixed it.
This is the part that I'm going to need to figure out. Ugh!

I removed the timing check in the APU uploader so that the game only uploads once and moves on.
This prevents the hold-up after IREM logo and the game itself plays perfectly fine, but distorts the sound, obviously.
I don't know too much about how the APU works though, so I will have to do some research.



Quote from: reyvgm on June 09, 2018, 02:48:00 PM
Thanks, I assume you mean this post?
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/game-boy-game-boy-color-appreciation-thread.433136/page-3#post-28501643

I've made a lot of individual threads and posts over the years, here are some of them:
https://talking-time.net/showthread.php?t=8800
https://talking-time.net/showthread.php?t=7936
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/bs-mario-and-bs-games.466419/
https://talking-time.net/showthread.php?t=8141
https://talking-time.net/showthread.php?t=15858
https://talking-time.net/showthread.php?t=10443
https://talking-time.net/showthread.php?t=18417
https://talking-time.net/showthread.php?t=18419
https://talking-time.net/showthread.php?t=18459

This is some amazing stuff!

I'm particularly enjoying the warning messages.
Loving those risqué images. ;) Talking about Ai Chou Aniki of course.

Quotehttps://talking-time.net/showthread.php?t=10443

Just... Amazing.


devaybase

#2814
Does anybody know what the issue with RPG Maker is? I got it to run smoothly with some help on the SNES9x core, but if I try on Canoe, all I get is a black Loading... screen; only when I press RESET does it give me a C7 error. I'm a newbie, so I've no idea what to do.

pimpinelephant

Quote from: devaybase on June 13, 2018, 08:35:17 PM
Does anybody know what the issue with RPG Maker is? I got it to run smoothly with some help on the SNES9x core, but if I try on Canoe, all I get is a black Loading... screen; only when I press RESET does it give me a C7 error. I'm a newbie, so I've no idea what to do.

Which RPG Maker, Super Dante or 2?

I haven't tested myself but from a quick look, RPG Maker 2 is 64kb SRAM! :o
Canoe doesn't like that.

I remember Sluffy worked around it for a couple of games that also used 64kb SRAM.
I think he consolidated the data into a smaller SRAM size if I'm not mistaken.


Either way, my hands are currently full with Ganbare! Daiku no Gen-san at the moment.
This game is proving to be a real pain...

The big issue is that I can't trace log Canoe like I can with PC emulators. :(
So I'm literally just guessing, like trying to look for a needle in a haystack.

I'll keep trying though, since I know WHERE the issue is occurring... Just not WHY it's occurring. >:(

devaybase

Quote from: pimpinelephant on June 14, 2018, 12:24:57 AM
Which RPG Maker, Super Dante or 2?

I haven't tested myself but from a quick look, RPG Maker 2 is 64kb SRAM! :o
Canoe doesn't like that.

I remember Sluffy worked around it for a couple of games that also used 64kb SRAM.
I think he consolidated the data into a smaller SRAM size if I'm not mistaken.


Either way, my hands are currently full with Ganbare! Daiku no Gen-san at the moment.
This game is proving to be a real pain...

The big issue is that I can't trace log Canoe like I can with PC emulators. :(
So I'm literally just guessing, like trying to look for a needle in a haystack.

I'll keep trying though, since I know WHERE the issue is occurring... Just not WHY it's occurring. >:(

RPG Maker 2, and yes, SROM Tool says it's 64kB SRAM, but as I said, I have no idea what to do. :/

pimpinelephant

Quote from: devaybase on June 14, 2018, 11:06:59 PM
RPG Maker 2, and yes, SROM Tool says it's 64kB SRAM, but as I said, I have no idea what to do. :/

Hmm, RPG Tsukuru 2 also appears to be a Satellaview game as well.
I can go ahead and take a look at it in the future.
See if I'm knowledgeable enough to even fix it.

For now though, I'm going to try and solve Ganbare! Daiku no Gen-san, so apologies for the wait.

Bosco82

#2818
RPG Maker 2 - This is for the vaniila Japanese rom - this uses SA-1 so use pid 109C or an SA-1 extra byte
https://www.sendspace.com/file/e643w8

RPG Maker 2 - For use with English Translation Only - this uses SA-1 so use pid 109C or an SA-1 extra byte
https://www.sendspace.com/file/uq7tpm

mamertos

#2819
Mega Man X2, Wheel Gator's stage. Is normal the way the screen is shaking? I've seen youtube gameplays and the screen doesn't shake so much.


Ogre Battle issue!

Visual glitch when you use some tarot cards (death, chariot, hermit, lovers...) in a battle. The enemy formation is hidden by a black figure.