News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: [Utiity] Visual SAK - Visual Swiss Army Knife  (Read 5835 times)

Squall_FF8

• View Profile
Re: [Utiity] Visual SAK - Visual Swiss Army Knife
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2018, 09:00:22 pm »
If you mean PSX Graphics tools, Maybe that is will help you ?

https://code.google.com/archive/p/tim2view/
Woah that is TIM2 format with source. And not just any source but in Pascal, THANK you shadow501  :thumbsup:

Hi there Squall, while I don't believe I have used graphics outside of the SNES, I used to use the following document that briefly describes how the info is stored:
https://mrclick.zophar.net/TilEd/download/consolegfx.txt
Thank you samurai goroh! That is a great document! I've already implemented NES 2bpp. From this document even more formats will come :laugh:

Just a quick idea. You have width, height and offset. Would one more slider make sense so you could snip of code that not belongs to the graphic? Like data length. Or is this a lot of work. I was just thinking this could be good to have and would make importing less painful.

Mode7-2 works great. Don't even know what Mode7-1 is xD
Mode7-1 is exactly as tiles are ordered in VRAM. If you open a .ZST file, there the graphics is in that format. But that format uses twice the needed space, because of the way SNES Mode 7 organize the VRAM. Mode 7-2 hold only tiles without the extra luggage. If you know how long I have searched for titles that have in the ROM Mode 7-2 graphics to make 'proof of concept' ... Now you did it instead of me, thank you!  :thumbsup:

About your idea for the extra slider: I was thinking exactly the same - the slide should show data length, but measured in tiles. In your example (screenshot): the graphic is 16x2 tiles = 32, the slider will be 8. So the actual size will be 24 tiles, not 32.

bogaabogaa

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2018, 09:45:34 am »
About your idea for the extra slider: I was thinking exactly the same - the slide should show data length, but measured in tiles. In your example (screenshot): the graphic is 16x2 tiles = 32, the slider will be 8. So the actual size will be 24 tiles, not 32.

This does sound good to me. A other idea would be a extra masking field for data you don't like to update when importing/exporting. Like mask field you put in the address range. I have seen examples that code is embedded with tiles(earlier picture). I think it will make sense when importing not to touch the ROM on some spots so you don't have to hex-edit/create patches to fix it later. And when exporting graphic it may save you the step of the graphic editor.

Are there more things you like to see a prof of concept? Glad I could help with mode7-2.

Here a better example with more graphic on it

Squall_FF8

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2018, 05:25:08 am »
Are there more things you like to see a prof of concept? Glad I could help with mode7-2.
I think no screenshot of 1bpp and 2bpp SNES has been posted here.

I have good news. In next version there will be:
 - full support of NES - 2bpp NES format and loading NES palette from ROM
 - Neo-Geo Pocket support - 2bpp
 - first steps in PSX support - 4bpp/8bpp uncompressed

Other planned features:
 - Tile map for every format
 - Auto features - automatically adds number of graphics based on specific criteria
 - Export graphics to ROM

shadow501

• Hex Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2018, 08:14:15 am »
I think no screenshot of 1bpp and 2bpp SNES has been posted here.

I have good news. In next version there will be:
 - full support of NES - 2bpp NES format and loading NES palette from ROM
 - Neo-Geo Pocket support - 2bpp
 - first steps in PSX support - 4bpp/8bpp uncompressed

Other planned features:
 - Tile map for every format
 - Auto features - automatically adds number of graphics based on specific criteria
 - Export graphics to ROM

Great!, What about BOF3 and your tool have options Import and Export also support Sega Genesis ?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 08:57:45 am by shadow501 »

bogaabogaa

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2018, 10:24:14 am »
hmm I was hoping someone could bring better examples..

First off! I could not find a game that does use 1BPP But it seems not to work right form my point of view. When I directly select it and do changes on the height it will always show a blank screen. Other tools show some garbled stuff that seems to be right.

After viewing it with 2BPP it showed the screen slightly gray till I make changes to the height that will update the rendering in the selected format. This works fine but could confuse people.

Also there is a format 1BPP (16x16) what I am also not familiar with.

Sry that I could not help with this stuff

Squall_FF8

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2018, 04:49:17 am »
Great!, What about BOF3 and your tool have options Import and Export also support Sega Genesis ?
Hehe it will come but if we want to do a quality job - a step by step :)
I'm very satisfied with my first attempt at PSX. As I expected it is more recent console so internals are close to contemporary hardware. As said earlier, I have successfully added 4/8bpp for PSX. On top of that it seems even palette is working.
So about BOF3 - could you tell me what graphical formats were used?
Support for Sega Genesis will come, but probably after some key features are added.

hmm I was hoping someone could bring better examples..

First off! I could not find a game that does use 1BPP But it seems not to work right form my point of view. When I directly select it and do changes on the height it will always show a blank screen. Other tools show some garbled stuff that seems to be right.

After viewing it with 2BPP it showed the screen slightly gray till I make changes to the height that will update the rendering in the selected format. This works fine but could confuse people.

Also there is a format 1BPP (16x16) what I am also not familiar with.

Sry that I could not help with this stuff
Actually, that is a great help for me! Thank you for taking time and try to find out!  :thumbsup:
I have to try your examples, maybe 1bpp doesn't render correctly. That is the problem when adding a new format without example :(

1Bpp(16x16) mean that tile is 16x16 pixels rather standard for SNES 8x8. I'm not sure how this is implemented - as 16x16 linear or 2x2 tiles of 8x8 pixels (the way SNES work) ...

BTW bogaabogaa, it seems to me that you capture the whole desktop and the you cut from it. Try: click on the window that you want to capture and press [Alt] + [PrintScreen]  :beer:

bogaabogaa

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2018, 07:24:28 am »
I did not hear anything in a while. Kinda glad to see you work on it sometimes as I did see on git. Guess life keeps you busy. But I hope you keep being motivated to work on this project. You do awesome work here! For me it doesn't need to have a big scope! What I appreciate is the key futures other tools are missing and you managed to include some of them already  :D
I tried to use SAK to import ACO palettes. It does load in Photoshop correctly. Donno how your testing went (my result Picture)(I installed Photoshop for that purpose only xD). Also after importing I guess there is no option to save a palette to the ROM right? I really wished there would be a easy way to do it since I hate typing numbers in a hex editor to make color changes.. so far this was the point where my graphic projects stranded since I got really sick of doing all that for such a simple thing. I also think I might just miss to know a better way but I am looking and could not find a better way so far. I still think importing of a PNG file would be much better. It is simple to understand, the colors you need are stored in the picture you like to import. And a color swapping tool would be nice to have anyway.. the order matters a lot in a lot of games. donno how you think about all that extra work but I trow it in here again anyway.

Summing up ideas again:

Color pick and swap tool?
Importing color from image?
Save Color to ROM?

I use the snip tool that comes with windows. Thanks for the tip though. Will try to do cleaner cropping in the future.