News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Kaijuu Monogatari Patch on Retron 5  (Read 993 times)

Goosie

• View Profile
Kaijuu Monogatari Patch on Retron 5
« on: January 20, 2018, 04:42:20 pm »
I bought Kaijuu Monogatari for Famicom off eBay to play on my Retron 5.  Retron 5 is a game device that reads cartridges and plays them on a software emulator.  It also allows the use of IPS patches.  I tried to use the English translation IPS patch for Kaijuu Monogatari on this web site.  The instructions say to increase the ROM size before applying the IPS patch, but the Retron 5 doesn't allow me to manipulate ROMs before playing them.  I tried using the IPS patch anyway, and the ROM seems to glitch and freeze during the intro.  Is there a solution to using this IPS patch on the Retron 5?

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: Kaijuu Monogatari Patch on Retron 5
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 07:31:11 pm »
Hard patch the expanded ROM on a PC and then create your own patch between the expanded ROM and the original ROM.
The reason the released patch doesn't do that is because it would end up including the entire CHR-ROM in the patch.

Though if you play Kaiju Monogatari on a Retron 5, you may encounter another problem: it may not save the game. That would be an emulator problem. (due to that the game saves to the Namco mapper's internal RAM, which is mostly used by other games in the same mapper for sound data, so emulators may not bother saving it) (though I don't use a Retron so I don't know if it has savestates. If so that would solve it.)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Goosie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 04:11:51 pm »
Hard patch the expanded ROM on a PC and then create your own patch between the expanded ROM and the original ROM.
The reason the released patch doesn't do that is because it would end up including the entire CHR-ROM in the patch.

Though if you play Kaiju Monogatari on a Retron 5, you may encounter another problem: it may not save the game. That would be an emulator problem. (due to that the game saves to the Namco mapper's internal RAM, which is mostly used by other games in the same mapper for sound data, so emulators may not bother saving it) (though I don't use a Retron so I don't know if it has savestates. If so that would solve it.)

I talked to a guy who maintains a collection of Retron 5 IPS patches on another forum, and he already patched Kaijuu Monogatari with the adjusted ROM size.  He says it freezes on the Retron 5 because of an emulation issue.  You can read about it here: https://www.retro5.net/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=56722

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 12:13:53 am »
One other potential thing an emulator could be doing is how it handles PRG-ROM bank switching.
As I recall, when PRG ROM is switched, it should be ANDed with maximum ROM bank.

I can't remember if the original game was dependent on it, but as an example:
if a game is 16 banks (last ROM bank is numbered 0F), then the emulator should be modify the swapped PRG bank value by AND #$0F.
With 32 banks, it would be AND #$1F.
So a write of bank value #$F8 would become bank 8 on a 16-bank game and bank 0x18 on a 32-bank game.

The one other reported issue I had with the translation I think was an original game bug: in the Tactical-RPG sections, play in Manual battle mode. Using Auto battle mode seems to cause the game to incorrectly determine your spawn location after returning to the normal map. (though I only checked it on a Japanese ROM through a save provided by the person who reported it, so I can't say for certain if it is ENTIRELY the original game's problem)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018