News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Gamecube ROM Hacks  (Read 6478 times)

TheCape

• View Profile
Gamecube ROM Hacks
« on: January 07, 2018, 03:50:09 pm »
I have worked on a few gamecube mods for SSBM to make the game have more viable characters in a competitive setting and am currently working on a Naruto GNT4 one for the same as well.

Would either of those be posted here ideally?

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Gamecube ROM Hacks
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 07:46:47 pm »
I understand there has been considerable work done on SSBM, though I am not up to speed on the various developments.
https://smashboards.com/threads/melee-hacks-and-you-new-hackers-start-here-in-the-op.247119/

I think the only particular reason that those hacks are not on this site is that no one has bothered to submit them.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 03:27:13 am »
Indeed. I don't see any issue with posting your patches here.
As a matter of fact, I have a small, and by small I mean tiny, hack for Four Swords Adventures that I will post here if I ever find the time to figure out how to do it.

SCO

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 11:16:46 am »
Speaking of this is there any specification of the nintendo disc format i'm missing? Because while dolphin has no problem opening 'isos' from those consoles, they certainly aren't isos and cdemu chokes on them.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 02:48:58 pm »
If I'm not mistaken, a Gamecube ISO has to be 1,459,978,240 bytes, but it is common to do something to them to remove empty space.

I think the Gamecube ISO Tool should help you.
http://www.wiibackupmanager.co.uk/gcit.html
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 08:22:18 pm »
Speaking of this is there any specification of the nintendo disc format i'm missing? Because while dolphin has no problem opening 'isos' from those consoles, they certainly aren't isos and cdemu chokes on them.
My guess is that Nintendo doesn't use standard formats almost certainly to make things harder to copy.
The "trimmed" ROMs seem to be the same size as a standard ISO after unzipping. My understand is that they had the padding "garbage" data altered to make the ISOs compress smaller back in the days when GC was still current.
They seem to almost compress inversely proportional to the data size. (like some of the biggest ISOs when I compressed my personally ripped untouched images, were Pac-Man VS. and Game Boy Player Boot Disc, probably two of the smaller ISOs when "trimmed".)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018