News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Project Z2R  (Read 7477 times)

Shade Aurion

• Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
Project Z2R
« on: December 20, 2017, 06:22:52 am »
Okay, so this is still early days and i'm fairly amateur when it comes to using Hyrule Magic but this is WAY overdue so if no one else is gonna do it or at least start it, I will.

So the aim of this hack is to remake The Legend of Zelda II - Adventure of Link in LTTP's graphics and engine. I had planned to wait and try and do it in Minish Cap but honestly, this would make more graphical sense in the long run. Third Quest, This Hack and then LTTP, it keeps things similar looking and LTTP will likely still look slightly nicer then this.

The challenge is in translating a 2D Side Scroller into a Top Down Action Adventure and i'm fairly confident I can do it but may need help by those more well versed in Hyrule Magic or those who would like to work on this with me, that I am open to also. Zelda 2 isn't actually a big game but i'd like to elaborate on the dungeons a little and try and keep the overworld as close to the original world map as I can while still improving it for the sake of quality and aesthetics.

So far I have only edited the palette of Link himself, all 3 sets of clothing, all 3 shields and all swords. I used official art to colorize the base version of Link (above) and its been tested so its all working.

I would like to edit the shield to have a golden cross because I don't like the look of it currently and feel its inaccurate but 1 thing at a time. The sword is supposed to have a brown handle but I was looking for more of a brass or bronze look. I may change it later but am otherwise happy with Link's sprite itself. I accidentally made the toes of his boots gold but when animated it looks kinda cool. I may keep it or change it to silver. I dunno, we'll see. I will likely make the max level sword as similar to the boxart sword as possible (below)

Now, the World Map will be a massive undertaking. I made a wallpaper out of the original world map awhile ago (below) so I plan to use that as a base. I may even separate it into 2 or 3 sections and make use of the Light World/Dark World mechanic in LTTP.

Anyways, this will likely be a massive project but I would love to see this done. Seen plenty of projects pop up and disappear and its kinda disappointing. Any suggestions/ideas, offers for help and that sort of thing would be appreciated. I'd especially appreciate input from those versed in Hyrule Magic and the modders who made Goddess of Wisdom, Parallel Worlds, and both the Zelda II - New Link Sprites hack and the Zelda II - The Adventures Of Link 1999 hack. I don't care about personal glory here. I just want to get the ball rolling and get this made so I myself can freaking play it because its all anyone every wanted as a sequel to the original Legend of Zelda XD

---

Okay, some ideas I have for this project using the existing assets are:
- Using the Dark World Crystals for Zelda 2 Palace Crystals
- Using the Lantern as a replacement for the candle and making the recolored Hardhat Beetle Lowders only visible while a nearby brazier is lit with the lantern. Maybe have water floor tiles so you can still kinda see where they are without the lantern or lit braziers
- Keep the 3 pendant for the master sword requirement and mechanic but make them something you get for completing key story points.
- Allow the bird and Ocarina to make warping between towns and key areas possible
- Keep the Hammer, Power Glove/Titan Mitt, Pegasus Boots and Mirror
- Replace the flute with one or even 2 of of the medallion items (edited to look different of course) for calling the River Devil and making the Three Eye Rock Palace appear
- Replace the Raft with the Flippers
- Replace the Trophy with the Book of Mudora maybe? Edited to look different of course
- Use bottles for Water, Water of Life, Magic Jars, Fairies, etc
- Use ice/fire/ rods, Cane of Somaria/Byrna, Magic Cape, Super Bomb, etc effects for replacing learned spells (with tweaks of course)
- Replace the Cross with the Moon Pearl maybe?
- Have the map split into the Light and Dark World and allow the Magic Mirror to switch between the two keeping Ocarina fast travel in both areas

Enemy recoloring would likely go as:
Spoiler:
- Recoloring Soldiers as Iron Knuckles and Fokka
- Recoloring Keese as Aches
- Recoloring Crows as Moby
- Recoloring Dacto as Bago-Bago
- Recoloring Zols as Bit and Bots
- Recoloring Ball and Chain Troopers as Guma and Doomknockers
- Recoloring Skeletons as Stalfos
- Recoloring Stalfos Knights as Parutamu
- Recoloring Poes as Girubokkus
- Recoloring Zoras as River Zoras
- Recoloring Kodongos as Aneru
- Recoloring Bubble as Bubble
- Recoloring Wizzrobes as Wizards
- Recoloring Zazaks as Magos
- Recoloring Octoroks as Octoroks
- Recoloring Tektites as Tektites
- Recoloring Vultures as Fokkeru
- Recoloring Hardhats as Myus
- Recoloring Taros as Moblins
- Recoloring Armos as Wosus
- Recoloring Bees as Boons
- Recoloring Hokkubokku as Gelarms
- Recoloring Water Tektites as Deelers
- Recoloring Spear Soldiers as Geru
- Recoloring 2nd Tier Sword Soldiers as Daira
- Recoloring Leevrs as Leevers
- Recoloring Hardhat Beetles as Lowder
- Recoloring Snap Dragons as Megamats
- Recoloring Toppo as River Devils
- Recoloring Chasupa as Moas
- Recoloring Helmasaurs as Arurodas
- Recoloring Beamos as Ra
- Recoloring Laser Eye as Mua
- Recoloring Blazing Bat as Fiery Moa
- Recoloring Goriyas as Goriyas
- Recoloring Ball and Chain miniboss as Horsehead
- Recoloring Eyegore as Helmethead
- Recoloring Armos Knight as Horseback Ironknuckle
- Recoloring Blind the Thief as Carock
- Recoloring Hinox as Boss Gooma
- Recoloring Helmasaur King as Barba
- Recoloring Mothula as Thunderbird
- Recoloring Link as Dark/Shadow Link
- Recoloring Ganon as a secret last boss

Enemy edits would be nice also and something i'd love to look at doing for the sake of consistency. For example, editing Mothula to look more like a bird, edit a flying Stalfos skull onto edited Eyegore as Helmethead Boss that can detatch, Have Goriya's shoot a boomerang that returns instead of a fireball, etc

I'd also like to use recurring Town names, characters and add in minor monsters to elaborate the world, add in side quests, heart containers and such and maybe make the Link Dolls a collectable. Maybe have obtaining all of them necessary for a secret ending with Dark Link and a Ganon Boss or something.

I dunno, i'll need help but I have a good idea of what needs to be done and what the finished project would look like. If there is a better editor then Hyrule Magic, please link me <3
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 08:58:51 am by Shade Aurion »

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
Re: The Legend of Zelda II - Adventure of Link Remake
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 08:22:29 am »
You need to use a direct link (usually the link should end with image extensions, like .png, .jpg, .gif, etc.)

Shade Aurion

• Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 09:59:10 am »
You need to use a direct link (usually the link should end with image extensions, like .png, .jpg, .gif, etc.)

Ah that would make sense. I'm new to imgur so my bad. I've used Photobucket and Imageshack til recently lol
All fixed ^_^

FCandChill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 07:01:24 pm »
Consider checking out the external links on the game's data crystal game. Hyrule Magic is infamous for being bad ... so you'll likely need help from other people.

IAmCaptPlanet

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 11:37:06 pm »
i'd love a Zelda 2 remake in this engine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventure_Time:_Hey_Ice_King!_Why'd_You_Steal_Our_Garbage%3F!!

probably the best (and one of the only) Zelda 2 homage games i've ever played

Shade Aurion

• Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 04:17:41 am »
Consider checking out the external links on the game's data crystal game. Hyrule Magic is infamous for being bad ... so you'll likely need help from other people.

Oh thanks, will do. I'll def need some help and i'm sure it will be finicky to say the least but I still feel it's doable. If Goddess of Wisdom and Parallel Worlds can exist, i'm confident this can too. A lot of things can be intelligently worked around using existing programming and assets. I'll probably need help with the title screen, the map screen and a few static things like that but i'm pretty confident on my world building as i'm already something of an indie developer as is with a fairly far along game currently in development.

i'd love a Zelda 2 remake in this engine

--

OP has been edited

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventure_Time:_Hey_Ice_King!_Why'd_You_Steal_Our_Garbage%3F!!

probably the best (and one of the only) Zelda 2 homage games i've ever played

I did love that game but have no clue how to work with the engine and that would be a much bigger undertaking. If done using LTTP I can make Third Quest, Z2 Remake and LTTP seem like a smooth transition and all would be playable on SNES and SNES Mini. If this works out well i'd love to look at doing Links Awakening and Oracle of Ages/Seasons with Minish Cap's engine and assets.

Still, any links to come of these homage games? I'd love to check them out :)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 04:25:39 am by Shade Aurion »

Sephirous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 08:30:16 am »
This is great!

I hope you can get the Zelda II Soundtrack in there. Hearing it in 16 Bit would be so awesome.

Kind of reminds me of The BS Zelda. I always thought there should be a BS Zelda II.  :thumbsup:

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 09:21:43 am »
If Goddess of Wisdom and Parallel Worlds can exist, i'm confident this can too.
Except Hyrule Magic has been out for many, many years, and in all that time those (and Conker's High Rule Tail) are pretty much the only hacks of note that have emerged.  If what you are proposing was even moderately difficult, someone among the thousands upon thousands of Zelda fans out there would have done it already.

This thread is probably important, if you haven't seen it.
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=21159.0

Solarus might be worth considering.
http://www.solarus-games.org/
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 09:28:05 am by Jorpho »
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Shade Aurion

• Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2017, 11:30:43 am »
This is great!

I hope you can get the Zelda II Soundtrack in there. Hearing it in 16 Bit would be so awesome.

Kind of reminds me of The BS Zelda. I always thought there should be a BS Zelda II.  :thumbsup:

I definitely would be doing something like that. I was actually thinking about this an hour or so ago so good call and yeah, I was always bummed out there was no BS Zelda 2. Its like Nintendo were doubling down on the sider scrolling yet still making top down games. I always thought it was weird lol

Except Hyrule Magic has been out for many, many years, and in all that time those (and Conker's High Rule Tail) are pretty much the only hacks of note that have emerged.  If what you are proposing was even moderately difficult, someone among the thousands upon thousands of Zelda fans out there would have done it already.

This thread is probably important, if you haven't seen it.
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=21159.0

Solarus might be worth considering.
http://www.solarus-games.org/

Thanks for the links, i'll def check out Solarus if its makes life easier for me. I would prefer it being a rom hack so it can still be played on SNES mini but a working and finished game thats easy on the eyes would be the end goal here. I only gave a quick look over Solarus but it looks pretty great. I think a big part of projects not finishing is people giving up on them. I don't plan on giving up. Even if it takes a few years and even if I did I would release all my work so someone could pick up where I left off so the project reaches completion. This needed to be done years ago.

Thanks for the thread link too. A lot of that will likely be very useful for me. I already had Orochimaru's guide but the rom extender and that might help, though it would make it only playable in emulators but I think that's an okay sacrifice lol

FCandChill

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2017, 01:55:00 pm »
Oh thanks, will do. I'll def need some help and i'm sure it will be finicky to say the least but I still feel it's doable. If Goddess of Wisdom and Parallel Worlds can exist, i'm confident this can too. A lot of things can be intelligently worked around using existing programming and assets. I'll probably need help with the title screen, the map screen and a few static things like that but i'm pretty confident on my world building as i'm already something of an indie developer as is with a fairly far along game currently in development.

Don't be surprised if you run into the popup "A bad error has occurred"... Hyrule Magic is a buggy, unstable mess. The utility will break your ROM within minutes of normal use. The hacks that you mention happened because rom hackers literally had to hex edit and fix bugs Hyrule Magic created.

Shade Aurion

• Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2017, 05:37:06 am »
Yeah, part of that is why i'm very happy to switch to use with Solarus. I dunno if this would qualify for a thread anymore though since its a ground up game using resources from several different games instead of a rom hack now. Nevertheless, i'll include the excerpt regarding the future of this project from my facebook page.

--

Okay, so regarding the Zelda 2 remake project i'm undertaking.. I've taken a few pretty drastic steps and made some early changes, all for the better of course. The sad thing is it will likely no longer be a SNES hack which sucks as it will never be on a SNES cartridge or working on a SNES mini. BUT it will be a ground up remake instead. The reason for this is it removes premade game constraints and engine limitations of A Link to the Past and also vastly decreases the amount of time spent on hex coding whiiich I kinda suck at. Almost eliminates it completely actually and replaces what I would have to do in Hex with C++ which is a much better coding language but i'll lose you guys if I rant about that.

The good news is that not only can I make everything myself with relative ease, with a program and editor similar to what i'm working with for Shadow Keeper except made for ARPGs/Action Adventure games, I can also add and includes whatever assets I want which means i'm no longer limited to sprites only found within A Link to the Past itself and recolouring them. I can make my own, edit them with ease and include them wherever I want which is great because I can make it much more accurate to the original game and designs. Also, this being vastly easier to work with I can confidently say it won't take 3 years to complete.

For the sake of this project reaching completion however, from here on out, i'll be referring to this as the Project Z2R (for obvious acronym reasons) I will post an update here and there but they'll be fairly casual text and likely pictures. I won't even release a demo. That's just not happening. I don't want this project killed before its finished so i'll finish the project first, likely play through it first on DudeGoBack and then a month or so later put it out there for everyone to play (for free)

Being an unlicensed fan work, I won't charge for it lest the long dick of the law give me 1000 lashes across the face BUT I will likely make a patreon at some stage if people are that way inclined to donate. If it goes well, I may consider redoing Link's Awakening, Oracle of Ages/Seasons, etc.

Big thanks to Jorpho
I find it much easier working with C++ then Hex editing. Solarus is also going to make life a lot easier. After spending time familiarizing myself, I believe its exactly what I want. Thank you dude!

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2017, 07:13:16 am »
Nintendo could still go after you for having a Patreon. Just look at AlvinEarthworm.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2017, 08:39:19 am »
Here we go again... if you want to make a new game, don't use copyrighted assets! Don't make it a Zelda game. If you make a hack to LttP, Nintendo won't give a damn (and hacking an existing game with your own original code and ideas is much safer). If you make a new game, Nintendo will see you as someone using their intellectual property for your own gain.

Look at it from their point of view. Let's say they come up with the same idea you have, but they see you and think "this guy is making a game that competes with our game - and what's worse, it's free! We could lose hundreds of thousands of sales because of this asshole using OUR property!" So, cease and desist.

Furthermore, they may have no intention of making a similar game to yours at all, but they will use the Zelda IP for other projects. If they don't stop you, it gives any other Tom Dick or Harry carte blanche to rip them off too: for Nintendo to keep a trademark, they have to prove that they're actually USING it. So, they may not WANT to sue you, but they HAVE to.

Now look at it another way. Nintendo doesn't have a monopoly on games featuring a sword-wielding protagonist killing monsters and finding treasure in dungeons. So make your own IP. Hell, you could even SELL it on Steam. Say it's "inspired" by Zelda, wink wink. Nintendo will have a hard time going after you then. Who knows, you could even start your own franchise and become a millionaire. Or, you could steal Nintendo's stuff and get C&Ded. Your call. ;)

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2017, 09:46:13 am »
If you make a hack to LttP, Nintendo won't give a damn (and hacking an existing game with your own original code and ideas is much safer).
Well, they might, conceivably, though there have been an awful lot of hacks of Nintendo games that never faced any legal challenges.

If they don't stop you, it gives any other Tom Dick or Harry carte blanche to rip them off too: for Nintendo to keep a trademark, they have to prove that they're actually USING it. So, they may not WANT to sue you, but they HAVE to.
This is a discussion that's been had before.  They have good reasons for protecting their intellectual property, but I'm pretty sure the total catastrophic loss of their trademarks isn't one of them.

Besides, the Solarus website has the Zelda name all over it and they haven't been smacked down yet.  Likewise for Zelda Classic.

Now look at it another way. Nintendo doesn't have a monopoly on games featuring a sword-wielding protagonist killing monsters and finding treasure in dungeons. So make your own IP. Hell, you could even SELL it on Steam. Say it's "inspired" by Zelda, wink wink. Nintendo will have a hard time going after you then.
Seems to me no one has yet tried to release a fully-playable game alongside an alternate tileset/script/level set that just so happens to turn it into something potentially infringing.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Shade Aurion

• Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2017, 09:52:54 am »
I won't make a Patreon til after its completed and considering i'm also working on a separate project, my main project that is completely original with all my own assets thats around 40% complete already, which I most certainly will be selling on Steam, this is hardly the main cause for my patreon if and when I make it. I also run a youtube channel and a fairly big international music review, events and news site, all of which can be attributed to my own patreon if and when I make it before this particular project. This is nothing more then a short side project for me. Its a fan project at best, just like all other Zelda hacks. I won't be making the same mistakes as the AM2R team. That's why there will be no demo, talk about it will be sparse until one day it suddenly appears and shortly afterwards is Ban Hammered :p

Seriously though compared to my main project this will be a lot easier as I already know what i'm going to make, the story already exists and it just needs to be turned top down, made pretty and elaborated upon. Compared to my main project this will be a walk in the park and Solarus is actually very similar to what I work with. I'm also making a visual novel and a platformer too. Either way, this is hardly my only project but def one i'm passionate about lol

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2017, 02:40:17 pm »
I worked on this game for a couple of years.

I would like to edit the shield to have a golden cross because I don't like the look of it currently and feel its inaccurate but 1 thing at a time.

Shouldn't be too difficult, but to edit the majority of the graphics in this game you'll need a program called Zcompress to decompress the graphics and then recompress and reinsert them when you are done making edits. It's command line driven.

I may even separate it into 2 or 3 sections and make use of the Light World/Dark World mechanic in LTTP.

You could accomplish this convincingly by warping to the island in place of the raft.

and making the recolored Hardhat Beetle Lowders only visible while a nearby brazier is lit with the lantern.

This will require assembly programming.

Keep the 3 pendant for the master sword requirement and mechanic but make them something you get for completing key story points.

I believe you can place them in chests. Otherwise, you're probably looking at more assembly hacking unless you give them after a boss fight.

Allow the bird and Ocarina to make warping between towns and key areas possible

Could you clarify what you mean here?

Have the map split into the Light and Dark World and allow the Magic Mirror to switch between the two keeping Ocarina fast travel in both areas

You can't use the flute to travel between the light and dark worlds and the two worlds cannot be joined without some serious reprogramming.

Enemy recoloring would likely go as:

Possible, but a number of them currently share the same palettes.

edit a flying Stalfos skull onto edited Eyegore as Helmethead Boss that can detatch, Have Goriya's shoot a boomerang that returns instead of a fireball, etc

More assembly.

If there is a better editor then Hyrule Magic, please link me <3

There isn't one and probably never will be.

If Goddess of Wisdom and Parallel Worlds can exist, i'm confident this can too.

Both required very extensive use of a hex editor in order to overcome HM's bugs and short-comings. There's a reason why so few hacks of this game were ever finished.

Don't be surprised if you run into the popup "A bad error has occurred"... Hyrule Magic is a buggy, unstable mess. The utility will break your ROM within minutes of normal use.

It helps if you expand the ROM and relocate the room header data. Otherewise there's next to no room left in the ROM. I had to use this program for about a year before I learned all of things NOT to do with it. BTW, never use the majority of the "remove all" functions. They do not work as advertised and will instantly break things in your ROM.
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

Shade Aurion

• Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2017, 10:48:28 pm »
Thanks for your input SunGodPortal. I've since abandoned this as a romhack sadly. Too much hex editing which i'm fairly unfamiliar with.
I'm now making the project in Solarus and while it sucks its not a rom hack so it cannot be in cartridge form or played on a SNES Mini, the upside is I can implement everything I wanted and easily edit sprites and animations to my liking. Plus it uses C++ which is MUCH easier to work with, and better across the board :3

https://www.facebook.com/ProjectZ2R/ is the page for it if you'd like to follow and provide input as it progresses. I'll keep updates a little sparse. I imagine it will go: a few minor things, first town and palace completion, first continent completion, second continent completion, base game completion, post game and polish, testing/youtube playthrough and then release.

I got a LOT done done last night so its mainly mapping now which is my favourite part of game design <3

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2017, 04:19:33 am »
Advertising it on Facebook is a bad idea. That's a good way to get a c&d.
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2017, 02:55:54 pm »
Yeah, don't post about it (at least not openly) until it's done.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2017, 03:30:06 pm »
Advertising it on Facebook is a bad idea. That's a good way to get a c&d.
Supposedly that was one of the big things that caused Nintendo to respond to Pokemon Prism.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018