Okay, so this is still early days and i'm fairly amateur when it comes to using Hyrule Magic but this is WAY overdue so if no one else is gonna do it or at least start it, I will.
So the aim of this hack is to remake The Legend of Zelda II - Adventure of Link in LTTP's graphics and engine. I had planned to wait and try and do it in Minish Cap but honestly, this would make more graphical sense in the long run. Third Quest, This Hack and then LTTP, it keeps things similar looking and LTTP will likely still look slightly nicer then this.
The challenge is in translating a 2D Side Scroller into a Top Down Action Adventure and i'm fairly confident I can do it but may need help by those more well versed in Hyrule Magic or those who would like to work on this with me, that I am open to also. Zelda 2 isn't actually a big game but i'd like to elaborate on the dungeons a little and try and keep the overworld as close to the original world map as I can while still improving it for the sake of quality and aesthetics.
So far I have only edited the palette of Link himself, all 3 sets of clothing, all 3 shields and all swords. I used official art to colorize the base version of Link (above) and its been tested so its all working.
I would like to edit the shield to have a golden cross because I don't like the look of it currently and feel its inaccurate but 1 thing at a time. The sword is supposed to have a brown handle but I was looking for more of a brass or bronze look. I may change it later but am otherwise happy with Link's sprite itself. I accidentally made the toes of his boots gold but when animated it looks kinda cool. I may keep it or change it to silver. I dunno, we'll see. I will likely make the max level sword as similar to the boxart sword as possible (below)
Now, the World Map will be a massive undertaking. I made a wallpaper out of the original world map awhile ago (below) so I plan to use that as a base. I may even separate it into 2 or 3 sections and make use of the Light World/Dark World mechanic in LTTP.
Anyways, this will likely be a massive project but I would love to see this done. Seen plenty of projects pop up and disappear and its kinda disappointing. Any suggestions/ideas, offers for help and that sort of thing would be appreciated. I'd especially appreciate input from those versed in Hyrule Magic and the modders who made Goddess of Wisdom, Parallel Worlds, and both the Zelda II - New Link Sprites hack and the Zelda II - The Adventures Of Link 1999 hack. I don't care about personal glory here. I just want to get the ball rolling and get this made so I myself can freaking play it because its all anyone every wanted as a sequel to the original Legend of Zelda XD
Okay, some ideas I have for this project using the existing assets are:
- Using the Dark World Crystals for Zelda 2 Palace Crystals
- Using the Lantern as a replacement for the candle and making the recolored Hardhat Beetle Lowders only visible while a nearby brazier is lit with the lantern. Maybe have water floor tiles so you can still kinda see where they are without the lantern or lit braziers
- Keep the 3 pendant for the master sword requirement and mechanic but make them something you get for completing key story points.
- Allow the bird and Ocarina to make warping between towns and key areas possible
- Keep the Hammer, Power Glove/Titan Mitt, Pegasus Boots and Mirror
- Replace the flute with one or even 2 of of the medallion items (edited to look different of course) for calling the River Devil and making the Three Eye Rock Palace appear
- Replace the Raft with the Flippers
- Replace the Trophy with the Book of Mudora maybe? Edited to look different of course
- Use bottles for Water, Water of Life, Magic Jars, Fairies, etc
- Use ice/fire/ rods, Cane of Somaria/Byrna, Magic Cape, Super Bomb, etc effects for replacing learned spells (with tweaks of course)
- Replace the Cross with the Moon Pearl maybe?
- Have the map split into the Light and Dark World and allow the Magic Mirror to switch between the two keeping Ocarina fast travel in both areas
Enemy recoloring would likely go as:
Enemy edits would be nice also and something i'd love to look at doing for the sake of consistency. For example, editing Mothula to look more like a bird, edit a flying Stalfos skull onto edited Eyegore as Helmethead Boss that can detatch, Have Goriya's shoot a boomerang that returns instead of a fireball, etc
I'd also like to use recurring Town names, characters and add in minor monsters to elaborate the world, add in side quests, heart containers and such and maybe make the Link Dolls a collectable. Maybe have obtaining all of them necessary for a secret ending with Dark Link and a Ganon Boss or something.
I dunno, i'll need help but I have a good idea of what needs to be done and what the finished project would look like. If there is a better editor then Hyrule Magic, please link me <3