News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Megaman: Super - 16-bit Graphics Pack for Mesen  (Read 68785 times)

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
Re: Mega Man 1 (NES) - 30th Anniversary 16-bit Graphic Pack for Mesen
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2018, 08:21:36 pm »
I'm following a user on Facebook, who has done some work on recreating MM4-6 in WW style graphics. Although, I'm not sure if will be released soon, or ever. The updates are few and far between. He wants to release both a level editor, and the hacked rom so we'll see.
"Programming in itself is beauty,
whether or not the operating system actually functions." - Linus Torvalds

sevin0seven

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2018, 03:20:52 am »
Any recommended audio settings? I'm experiencing static sounds out of Mesen.

Go to Options/Audio/Advanced and Check "Mute ultrasonic frequencies on triangle channel (reduce popping)". That should do the trick.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 04:44:11 pm by sevin0seven »

zacmario

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2018, 01:06:02 pm »
I'm running 32 bit linux and have been using x86 retropi, will I see a mesen core that runs these great hd packs?

kin2444

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2020, 04:59:22 pm »
What do you think about replacing the BGM with music from Rockman the Complete Works or Mega Man Powered Up?

AxlRocks

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2020, 05:49:37 pm »
What do you think about replacing the BGM with music from Rockman the Complete Works or Mega Man Powered Up?

Thanks for your interest in this project!

I actually wanted to do music replacement but I never looked much into it and would probably need help with it, though I'm sure some of the other HD pack makers could help. My original idea was to ask RushJet1 for permission to use Mega Man 1 Remade: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXQDpxzbJqQ

But I like both your ideas too! I'd like to revisit this project at some point, as well as doing packs for the later games and some other NES games in general.

gadesx

• View Profile
    • Gadesx scene
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2020, 07:19:47 am »
Wily wars/Original game have hacks with enhancements.

Btw I like every version without changes too.

There was a project to do a fangame as Wily wars 2 including megaman 4-5-6.

kya

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2020, 01:26:33 am »
I've made a music replacement ips patch for Mega Man 1 a year ago, when I had somewhat more free time than now, for a person, who wanted to remix the tracks. He never surfaced since then, so I guess I can release the patch.

No music tracks inside, just the patch, and totally untested. You may try, if it works.

https://yadi.sk/d/M0qj8n38MvuJlw

AxlRocks

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2020, 03:51:30 pm »
I've made a music replacement ips patch for Mega Man 1 a year ago, when I had somewhat more free time than now, for a person, who wanted to remix the tracks. He never surfaced since then, so I guess I can release the patch.

No music tracks inside, just the patch, and totally untested. You may try, if it works.

https://yadi.sk/d/M0qj8n38MvuJlw

Wow, that's quite generous and much appreciated, thanks! It does work, though I haven't had luck yet with getting tracks to loop. I mean, the entire track will loop, but I don't know if Mesen acknowledges LOOPSTART and LOOPLENGTH tags or if I'm just doing something wrong in Audacity. Worst case scenario, I'll manually loop the music but I'd hate to bloat the file size if I don't have to. I'll try asking other HD Pack authors about this.

Aclectico

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2020, 08:13:01 am »
I was never able to figure out a way to loop tracks properly, so I manually looped them for my packs. Yes, doing this does bloat the file size a bit.

Thankfully, the space on my hard drive allocated to NES HD packs is relatively small anyway (even with bloated music tracks). So, unless you are thinking of looping a track for something crazy (like a few hours) I'd say don't lose too much sleep over it.

Whatever you create probably won't end up being that much of a space hog... I just wish I could say the same thing about some newer games on the market like COD Modern Warfare  :P
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 08:33:48 pm by Aclectico »

AxlRocks

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2020, 01:34:15 pm »
Ah, oh well, no big deal. Yeah, I'm not too worried about bloat, I just get hung up on the principle of a 128kb game vs 128mb of music or something lol

Haha yeah, new games are getting insane with hogging space.

Anyway, thanks for the info!

mkwong98

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2020, 04:40:24 am »
I have just added this feature to Mesen. Instead of adding the tags to the ogg file, add the sample number to the end of the bgm tag in the hires.txt file. eg <bgm>3,1,OverworldTheme.ogg,310200

I have built it for x64 only, you can download it here to try:

https://github.com/mkwong98/Mesen/releases/tag/0.9.9-201115

Aclectico

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2020, 08:22:41 am »
I have just added this feature to Mesen. Instead of adding the tags to the ogg file, add the sample number to the end of the bgm tag in the hires.txt file. eg <bgm>3,1,OverworldTheme.ogg,310200

Awesome! Given the current circumstances, I expected a fork was pretty likely. I am wondering about plans for this latest version ... About 30% of the questions I receive are from users who ask, "Will this run on RetroArch?" From what I gather, it seems to be a relatively sizable portion of the user base.

@mkwong98 - With this in mind, do you have any plans for RetroArch?

AxlRocks

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2020, 09:14:00 am »

Wow, that's great! Just tested it out, all seems good! Now I gotta double down on finding remixed soundtracks for this project.

mkwong98

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2020, 08:16:08 pm »
Awesome! Given the current circumstances, I expected a fork was pretty likely. I am wondering about plans for this latest version ... About 30% of the questions I receive are from users who ask, "Will this run on RetroArch?" From what I gather, it seems to be a relatively sizable portion of the user base.

@mkwong98 - With this in mind, do you have any plans for RetroArch?

There is a libretro fork with a few new commits and I'm not sure whether I should send a pull request to them or I should pull from them. Maybe for the time being I should compile a dll for RetroArch as it is.

November 19, 2020, 11:51:24 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Hi, I added the retroarch core dll to the release.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 11:51:24 am by mkwong98 »

mkwong98

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man (NES) - 30th Anniversary 16-bit Graphic Pack for Mesen
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2020, 09:44:55 am »
Hi, I uploaded a new release to Mesen:

Added an option in HD pack builder to save screen information when tiles are first shown in the same folder as the HD pack. User can look up which screen the tiles are added in the tileIndex.csv and open the screen_XXX.csv and screen_XXX.png to see the actual usage of the tiles.

Added playback option and volume option to <bgm> tag as suggested by kya. Use 1 for looping playback, 0 for single playback, -1 for no change to playback option. Use 0 to 255 for volume control and -1 for no volume change:
<bgm>[album - integer],[track - integer],[filename - ogg],[loop point - integer],[playback option - integer],[volume - integer]

Download here: https://github.com/mkwong98/Mesen/releases

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2020, 01:51:03 pm »
Amazing on this Mesen hack. Many thanks from us fans

AxlRocks

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2020, 09:42:38 pm »
Amazing on this Mesen hack. Many thanks from us fans

Thank you for the kind words! And awesome work on the updates to Mesen, mkwong98!

Well, it's Christmas and I thought I'd give an update on this and some other things. First of all, I'm waiting on permission for a final remix I'd like to include in the audio update, but if I hear nothing back in a couple weeks, I'm going to just replace it with something else (probably from Powered Up) to get the pack out there for everyone.

Second of all, this:

This was a pack I worked on a couple years ago but never finished. I restarted it due to the audio patch for MM1. All of Megaman's plain (non-weapon) graphics, all Robot Masters, and all enemies are done and inserted, as well as much of the stage graphics but only Airman and Bubbleman's stages have been inserted. I've figured out a much better workflow for HD Packs along the way, thus restarting the insertion process from scratch. I'm also making modifications to the ROM this time around; things like editing tiles that Mesen considers "duplicates," so I can add extra polish or details to certain parts of the game. Anko (the giant lantern fish) is one example, with his eyes and body containing solid color tiles or multiple tiles that Mesen would otherwise ignore.

I'm also planning on using the name "Megaman 2: Super" for this patch and retroactively doing that for MM1. The reason why is that from the start, I've imagined these packs as a "What If" scenario where Nintendo had went ahead with giving the SNES backwards compatibility, but on top of that, games could be given 16-bit makeovers. Of course, my packs exceed conventional, 16-bit limitations sometimes, but I think I mostly stay within that range. Anyway, I hope to post some more info soon.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 09:52:25 pm by AxlRocks »

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2020, 04:35:49 am »
Sick! Now that you mention a SNES style theme for these projects, I wonder if it would be possible to fit MM1-6 in one ROM and then make a ginormous graphic pack for the whole thing.

pleasejust

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2020, 06:43:23 pm »
Sick! Now that you mention a SNES style theme for these projects, I wonder if it would be possible to fit MM1-6 in one ROM and then make a ginormous graphic pack for the whole thing.

That would be amazing!

AxlRocks

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2020, 08:38:44 pm »

A Megaman All-Stars would be so cool! Some bootlegs have done it, some even include all 3 regions and/or Rockboard. I wouldn't use any of those as a base now though, they're just simple text lists that jump to the vanilla games. I want to use MM3 Improvement as a base for MM3 as well as other minor graphical hacks to the rest of the games.

That said, it probably wouldn't be too difficult to transfer most of the graphics from the standalone ROMs to the All-Stars version, either. So long as the palettes and pixel placement of each tile stays the same, it should be fine, at least it was for my MM1 pack, which is why it works on all three regions with minimal effort.

The only problems I see are:

1. Renumbering the sheets in hires.txt. Each sheet is numbered and must be numbered properly to work. Mesen handles this itself normally, but with my MM2 pack, I'm dumping things with one ROM and transferring the work to another ROM, where each sheet is named and organized in a logical way. This makes changing or referencing back to other graphics MUCH easier. Mesen just numbers sheets "Chr_0", "Chr_1", and so on.

But to combine multiple hires.txt files, 150-250 sheets per-game would need renumbered and added. MM1 also needs organized like MM2 at some point.

2. Any reused graphics would need accounted for. I don't think anything other than Mets was intentionally reused, but there could be very simple graphics that appears in multiple games.

PS, finished importing Crashman's graphics tonight. I don't like the pipes, I spent way to much time tweaking the palette and never found one I like. They get darker as you play the stage. Totally open to a different palette and let me know what you think of the lines in the sky. I just tried it out to break up the solid blue a bit.