News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

Treasure Conflix - English Translation

Started by Krokodyl, November 04, 2022, 02:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackPaladin

First things first, congratulations of releasing the game, "Treasure Conflix" (Conflicts?) English translation patch.  This will also be on my "games to play" list among others.  I don't know if this has already been aware to you, but I want to let you know.

First, the BS-X bios.  I used the English translated v1.3 version with DRM disabled.  As for emulators used...

Snex9x 1.60 (Windows): No issues.  Game runs and text displays normally.
Mesen-S 0.40 (Windows): No issues. Game runs and text displays normally.
bsnes v115 (Windows):  The game runs normally, but to do so, you need to do this.  (Loading it directly will cause the game's text to appear corrupted.)

1.  Select and load BS-X BIOS
2.  Select and load Treasure Conflix BS game.
3.  Select name/gender for BS-X avatar (If you haven't done that already)
4.  Enter your home in BS-X Bios
5.  Select BS-X BIOS menus on-screen, select "Load Stored Data"
6.  Select "TREASURE CONFLIX 2/11"
7.  Wait for the BS-X game to load onto bsnes
Looking for Beta Testers for "Aspic: Mahebiou no Noroi (FDS)"

xZabuzax

After giving it another try, I finally got the darn thing to run in English, I appreciate the translation and all but I'll be honest, the Readme file is bad and needs some work, it barely explains anything.

Running the darn rom directly in Snes9x doesn't work, you will get a black screen, for this to work you need to place the correct English BIOS file that you get from here: https://project.satellaview.org/downloads.htm inside the BIOS folder and the BIOS needs to be named BS-X.bin, the BIOS you need is English + NO DRM 2016 1.3. Once you are in the BIOS you only need to move up to the very first house and select the game and run it from there.

If this simple thing was explained properly in the Readme file I wouldn't have wasted so much time yesterday getting the darn thing to run so that's my only complaint and criticism at the moment.

In either case, I appreciate your hard work!

khalismur

Quote from: xZabuzax on January 14, 2023, 09:11:36 PMAfter giving it another try, I finally got the darn thing to run in English, I appreciate the translation and all but I'll be honest, the Readme file is bad and needs some work, it barely explains anything.

Running the darn rom directly in Snes9x doesn't work, you will get a black screen, for this to work you need to place the correct English BIOS file that you get from here: https://project.satellaview.org/downloads.htm inside the BIOS folder and the BIOS needs to be named BS-X.bin, the BIOS you need is English + NO DRM 2016 1.3. Once you are in the BIOS you only need to move up to the very first house and select the game and run it from there.

If this simple thing was explained properly in the Readme file I wouldn't have wasted so much time yesterday getting the darn thing to run so that's my only complaint and criticism at the moment.

In either case, I appreciate your hard work!
Strongly disagree. Very few are the translation works that include such a detailed information page like the author's github's readme at -> https://github.com/Krokodyl/treasure-conflix/blob/master/README.md

I, too, had a tiny bit of trouble running the game but that's how Satellaview emulation goes, nothing to do with the translation itself.

Krokodyl

Quote from: xZabuzax on January 14, 2023, 09:11:36 PMthe Readme file is bad and needs some work, it barely explains anything.

The readme is intended to describe the translation project. It's mostly directed at people who want to make their own translation (either they don't like mine or they want to do it in another language...).
Which they can do by forking the repo or just downloading the translation files (containing all the pointers and texts already extracted).
Not only that but the only information you need are in the readme:
- The original rom checksum
- The fact that this is a Satellaview game

There are other places on the internet where Satellaview emulation is already explained in details.

Hell, the RHDN rules prohibit discussion about emulation.
Quote from: Nightcrawler on January 30, 2006, 07:40:44 PM2. RHDN should not be used as your vehicle to piracy - we're not a piracy ring. Any requests for or offers, either directly or indirectly, or hotlinking to illegal material, such as ROMs, ISOs, DVDRips, animations doesn't belong here.

I'm just abiding by the rules.

You comment raises a good question though: since RHDN lists the Sega CD and the Sega 32X as separate platforms from the Genesis, shouldn't it have a separate platform for the Satellaview? (It may reduce confusion from people trying to run these games as regular SNES games)

xZabuzax

Quote from: Krokodyl on January 15, 2023, 10:23:33 AMHell, the RHDN rules prohibit discussion about emulation.
I'm just abiding by the rules.

Yeah, I get that but a simple explanation on how to run it has nothing to do with piracy though, it's just a simple guide or walkthrough that will take you a couple of lines to explain, no piracy here and it will save people like me the trouble.

The simple guide I made above is not piracy and it only took me a couple of lines to write, even that website that has that specific English BIOS file is not piracy, otherwise, the mods would have removed the link, right?

But as I said, I do appreciate all your effort in providing us with this high-quality English translation :)

Krokodyl

Honestly, I was merely invoking the rules as a cop-out. Here's the long answer.

Quote from: xZabuzax on January 15, 2023, 12:33:21 PMit's just a simple guide or walkthrough that will take you a couple of lines to explain
That's one version of one emulator.
I do that, and next thing you know, someone will ask a guide for their favorite emulator. Someone else will ask about a specific version of their emulator (mac, linux, android, iphone, smart fridge or whatnot). Someone else will ask about an old version of a specific emulator that they use because of some obscure feature that's been removed. Someone will ask how to run the game on actual hardware. Someone will ask a patch for another version of rom because they can't find it (it happened, I had to maintain two patches for the beta...) Someone will point out that I forgot a comma in a dialog and they only play 100% accurate translation down to the punctuation (it also happened).

You see a "simple guide", I see an indefinite amount of undesired customer service.
Am I bitter? A little bit.

Quote from: xZabuzax on January 15, 2023, 12:33:21 PMit only took me a couple of lines to write
More power to you. Don't see it as a failure on my part but as an opportunity to contribute to this community.

Quote from: xZabuzax on January 15, 2023, 12:33:21 PMBut as I said, I do appreciate all your effort in providing us with this high-quality English translation :)

JKPhage

Just wanted to pop in to say that I appreciate the work you've done Krokodyl! The polished up game looks great across the board thanks to your work, and I love that you've made another hidden gem available to gamers. Sucks that you seem to draw the worst folks out of the woodwork, but just know that for everyone who's being negative or demanding, there are dozens more of us that are simply grateful.

mikeprado30

Bravo for another obscure project getting into a reality! :beer:

18Phoenix

The icing on the cake would just be a version that integrates the required BS files and thus serves emus that (unfortunately) do not support the use of the BS Bios.  ;D

Grillkick

It would be *really* sweet if there was one that works on real hardware without a BS! Although at this point, I may pick one up eventually just for all of these great BS games.