News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Help with Rockman 2 editor.  (Read 950 times)

SleepyFist

• View Profile
Help with Rockman 2 editor.
« on: December 13, 2017, 01:29:25 pm »
I've been managing pretty well so far without being able to read Japanese, but now I'm having a fuckton of problems understanding the screen transition editor in Rockman 2 editor, and the "translation" of the manual is basically incomprehensible, can someone who's used it explain how it works before I break my levels further?

Update:progress halted halfway through level, broken transition results in a dead end.

December 15, 2017, 01:26:40 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Worked out the transition editor, I think.

It works well enough anyway, but something I did managed to break metal man's boss door/transition, any gueses at to what it's conniption is now?

I'm falling way behind thanks to the transition editor fucking shit up.

Okay, continuing lamentation now,
the T. Editor function just stopped fucking working altogether, tried multiple roms, rebooting emulator and editor, but no luck, from within the editor everything checks out perfectly but in game it has zero effect now.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 02:57:39 pm by SleepyFist »
Sleepy's Album of the week|| Nick Johnston - Remarkably Human || https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ7W3JvZBJQ

Woodman

• View Profile
Re: Help with Rockman 2 editor.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 12:33:04 am »
Hi. Sorry if this is late but I too have had trouble with this feature of RM2Edit, and have a few things to say that you might find useful.

1. The first screen transition of each level appears to be hard-coded. You may be able to change how the level scroll if you scrounge through the ROM file after logging the code while the level initially loads, you may be able to find it. I've had no luck with this, but i also haven't tried very hard.

EDIT: So when I wrote this I forgot that the same thing happens whenever you die and respawn in a stage in which the transitions are modified, the game reverts back to the original hard-coded scrolling. You can see this if you try to move your spawn point in RM2E to any different screen. So in conclusion screen scrolling is hard-coded with spawning and respawning.

2. The easiest and most effective way I found to change screen transitions beyond the first level is messing with the values, testing the outcome, rinse and repeat until you have your desired result. Keep in mind that there are many more screen transition types that the checkboxes in the lower-righthand corner lead you to believe, as you can actually change the value it checks for the screen transition to whatever value between 00 and FF you want.

3. While you may find luck with the screen transitions and potentially get them exactly how you want them, don't forget about the sprite loading that the game does between these transitions. The thing that made me pretty much give up on doing fully or even partially edited screen transitions in my hack was this very issue. If you don't know how to change what sprites are loaded where, then that is something that you are also going to have to figure out if you plan on moving forward with fully changing screen transitions. Personally, I know very little about where or how this is coded in the ROM file, but I do at least have a vague understanding and examples of where to find relevant code in the ROM. If you want more info on that, I can share, but its kinda long to just bring up right now.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 07:36:10 pm by Woodman »