News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Take-Two Interactive: Gaming will be "100% digital" in 5 - 20 years  (Read 8580 times)

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
Re: Take-Two Interactive: Gaming will be "100% digital" in 5 - 20 years
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2017, 04:25:11 pm »
As usual, I like the cut of Disch's jib. :D

pay for it once and play from start to finish without having to pay for anything else.

That's my way of thinking. I don't mind paying a few extra bucks for a good DLC pack if I like the game. Hell, lest we forget, Quake had two official mission packs plus unofficial ones, and they most likely cost more than DLC does now (and I'm sure there are other examples out there). But if I pay full price for the game, that better be the whole game.

Of course, if companies are doing this, there is the crazy idea of, you know, not buying the game? Oh no, EA ruined a game with microtransactions - fine, vote with your wallet. One of the greatest sadnesses in my life is that I'll never be able to play every game ever made... we're drowning in content. You won't miss one or two games, trust me.

And since Disch mentioned a recent game that he liked, you guys really have to play Fez if you haven't already, it's a fantastic trip. The ending blew my mind. Also there are plenty of retro-styled games out there: Muri, Oniken, Odallus, Quest For Infamy, VVVVVV, You Have To Win The Game, Super Win The Game... so yeah, I don't need a Star Wars game, thanks. ;)

I don't doubt all here, assuming mind and body still function, will be able to pull a feat like it off in the future

I didn't mean all in one go. :D But yes, Jason Scott is doing God's work.

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2017, 06:07:37 pm »
And since Disch mentioned a recent game that he liked, you guys really have to play Fez if you haven't already, it's a fantastic trip.

I second the Fez recommendation.

The platforming gets a little tedious with all the backtracking, but the atmosphere is great and the puzzles have a great balance of being both "wtf is this supposed to mean" cryptic while still being actually solvable (well -- most of the time -- a few of the puzzles are pretty far out there).

You feel like you EARN those cubes.

MitsukuHackbot

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2017, 12:51:47 am »
But here's the thing...

... I'm going to let you in on a secret...

... are you ready?

Star Wars fanboys are fucking stupid.  They're like the stupidest of the stupid consumers.

Two words.

Kiss...
Kasket...

^ This is even worse. Star Wars used to be cool. Kiss never was. :-[
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 01:51:28 am by MitsukuHackbot »

DarioEMeloD

• RomHacking enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • GitHub
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2017, 05:25:21 am »
I really don't see the problem with gaming being digital only. Games are software. Most software nowadays is being sold digitally, and people doesn't have a problem with that. The only benefit I can think of for games is storage capacity, but I don't think that'd be an issue forever.

I understand that some people prefer having physical games, but it also costs publishers more money. Which is one of the reasons why I think we now have predatory practices like subscriptions, microtransactions and BS DLC; that needs to go away too. But as long as people keep paying for it, it's hardly going to happen...

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2017, 12:45:39 pm »
Re arcades and them not being the same as microtransactions.

One is a time aiming to relieve the less well thought out (so kids) of their limited funds for a service typically available just as nicely elsewhere on devices they likely have access to... and the other is microtransactions.

"I can sit at my computer and download and play practically every single game from every single platform, from 1975 to now."
I don't doubt all here, assuming mind and body still function, will be able to pull a feat like it off in the future. Maybe not technical skills but ability and desire to bruise laws that might hinder things.

Though I did recently watch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTSztNT4hys
Talk on the internet archive's efforts towards emulating games and how they worked out. Well worth a watch, though maybe find something that can do 1.5 speed.
I don't know why, but I'm less bothered by arcade machines asking for more coins to keep playing vs. mobile games that use micro-transactions for the digital equivalent of inserting more coins.
Possibly because at least in arcade machine you have the expensive hardware and the operating costs of the arcade to somewhat justify the cost, whereas the mobile games that I've seen do the "pay to play again" thing have been rather shady and cheap.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

MitsukuHackbot

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2017, 06:12:24 pm »
I don't know why, but I'm less bothered by arcade machines asking for more coins to keep playing vs. mobile games that use micro-transactions for the digital equivalent of inserting more coins.
Possibly because at least in arcade machine you have the expensive hardware and the operating costs of the arcade to somewhat justify the cost, whereas the mobile games that I've seen do the "pay to play again" thing have been rather shady and cheap.

And when you go to the arcade you know you're going to be coughing up quarters. Buying a game and then finding out you need to pay extra just to get what you should have gotten in the first place is a rip-off. Pretty soon they'll be charging for bug fixes.

The Quake II mission packs was a good example of an acceptable practice IMO. Who wouldn't want to pay a little extra to get an alternate version of their fav game that constitutes a full game's worth of content? Think of how many people would pay for a version of Symphony of the Night that featured an entirely new castle, for example. It would breath new life into an old classic.

weissvulf

• Good news! An anomaly solved the enigma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2017, 06:17:10 pm »
In arcade games, you paid for playtime toward the goal of beating the game, and you were rewarded with more play time if you were skillful. The equivalent in modern games is something like a trilogy where you pay $10 per chapter. At the end of both experiences, you got a sense of completion and accomplishment: "I beat [game]!".

Micro transactions and small, shoddy expansions are more like late-night infomercials: "But wait! There's more! Now how much would you pay!?" They're generally low quality and don't improve or significantly expand game play. They seem more like predatory manipulation of the fan base. "If you want a sense of completion, you have to pay us $2 more."

I don't agree with the 'digital copies are just as good' view either. The tactile interaction when you own a physical game has no equivalent in digital. It's like the difference between having a jpg of the Mona Lisa on your hard dive versus the original hanging on your wall.

As far as distribution costs, way back in the PS1 era they had budget titles released at $10 or $5 retail. The cost of producing a CD, printing a decent manual and listing on Amazon or equivalent is minuscule. You can buy a set of 200 Pirate Disney DVDs in a nice custom case on ebay and have them shipped from China for around $50. I can only speculate about their production cost, but considering how many sellers are peddling them, it must be far less than the ~$0.30 disk retail.

Digital distribution isn't free either. Flat-rate unlimited internet bandwidth is a myth. Behind the scenes, providers are charging average users more than they should pay in order to cover the cost of the few high bandwidth consumers. If all gamers start doing 8GB+ per game downloads, you can expect everyone's internet bills to go up.

Also, it doesn't take Steam going out of business for digital games to disappear. Digital services like Kindle have already had episodes of content being removed from their service with no apology. I could totally picture seeing small print in a Steam 'User Agreement' update to the effect of 'Games by developerX will no longer be available due to legal issues'.

I don't mean that digital is all bad, but it is generally inferior in my view.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 03:17:44 pm by weissvulf »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2017, 10:52:18 pm »
There's a grain of truth to this as my purchases are 100% digital.  However I use a computer, a mobile platform, and no consoles.  In that realm physical releases are rare and usually very special, with goodies attatched.

To assume Take-Two is right is to assume consoles will be dead in 5-20 years.  That won't be true in 5, but in a couple decades?  Who knows?

Kronus_Arm

• Act like a baddass, whine like a sissy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2017, 02:55:38 am »
Also, it doesn't take Steam going out of business for digital games to disappear. Digital services like Kindle have already had episodes of content being removed from their service with no apology. I could totally picture seeing small print in a Steam 'User Agreement' update to the effect of 'Games by developerX will no longer be available due to legal issues'.

I don't mean that digital is all bad, but it is generally inferior in my view.

And that's where we cue in the crackers/pirates. I know it will question the morality of others in regards to piracy, but in this day and age of things like video games going for digital releases and the fear of content being taken down without notice, I think pirates are doing us a favor in terms of potentially preserving software. Unless of course someone can provide a better, more legal way.

NERV Agent

• Restricted Access
  • Eva Unit 01
    • View Profile
    • Watch my anime shitposts on YouTube! Smell them, too!
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2017, 11:15:01 pm »
Star Wars fanboys are fucking stupid.

"Perhaps the same could be said of all fanbases..."

"Your words are as empty as their bank accounts! Mankind ill needs shitty cash-in merchandise that sucks like you!"

"What is a man? A miserable pile of credit card debt. But enough talk... Have at you!"

Re arcades and them not being the same as microtransactions.

One is a time aiming to relieve the less well thought out (so kids) of their limited funds for a service typically available just as nicely elsewhere on devices they likely have access to... and the other is microtransactions.

Let me explain it another way.

Arcade: I didn't buy the game, I just put in quarters to play it for awhile.

Cartridge or disc: I paid about $20 or more for this, and I can play it whenever I want with no extra fees.

Microtransactions: I paid $60 for the game, but I need to pay even more money just to be able to play the game. It's like buying the game, then being required to "put in quarters" just to play the game you already bought.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 11:23:54 pm by NERV Agent »