News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: GameFAQs for ROM Hacks...  (Read 3910 times)

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
    • 8-bit fan's Hacking Projects
GameFAQs for ROM Hacks...
« on: November 29, 2017, 05:13:42 pm »
Hi Everyone! :)

Ever came across a point in a hacked game where you're stuck and needed some pointers? Or needed an item that does a certain special damage? Or just wanted to check out the map of a certain stage for secret areas? I have! I've always wanted something like a GameFAQs for ROM hacks for instances like these where I could look up maps, stats, and other info, etc.

Now, I've searched and I don't think something like this exists, and I don't think using GameFAQs for ROM hacks is appropriate or even allowed. So, how about starting one? A GameFAQs for ROM hacks! :D

What does everyone think? Do you think something like this is feasible? Would it be within legal bounds? If so, would RHDN be a good place for something like this like a subsection? :)

Any idea? :)

8-bit fan
In the year of 200X, a super robot named Mega Man...
http://www.8bitfan.info/
FF4 Ultima Discord: https://discord.gg/4MqjwJt

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
Re: GameFAQs for ROM Hacks...
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 05:34:26 pm »
Well, it's quite simple really: you just need people willing to play through a hack and write a FAQ about it. The problem is that GameFAQs has been around since 1995 and has had thousands of people contributing content, whereas finding people to do the same for hacked ROMs will be... a challenge. :)

Basically, GameFAQs is community driven, and this would have to be the same, ie there'd have to be a sizeable community of people who both want it and can contribute to it. Sounds like a tall order if you ask me (as much as I'd love a Game Hacks Game FAQs).

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 05:38:29 pm »
Someone in GameFAQs will typically make one if a translation appears.  As for a hack?  It's legal over there AFAIK, but typically the question is asked in an area where it's developed (like a forum where the hacker is talking about it).

I think I've seen Reddit also take similar questions in the relevant areas.

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
    • 8-bit fan's Hacking Projects
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 06:30:12 pm »
Interesting points Psyklax and Chronosplit. Thanks for the replies! :)

Yeah, I figured it would be hard since it requires a team or a community of people, especially if it's going to be like GameFAQs in a form of a forum since you'll need admins and mods, etc. And not to mention the legality of things. That's why I suggested a subsection for RHDN since there's already a community here solely for ROM hacking. :)
In the year of 200X, a super robot named Mega Man...
http://www.8bitfan.info/
FF4 Ultima Discord: https://discord.gg/4MqjwJt

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 01:53:05 pm »
There are some interesting things this community could be doing. I thought the other day it would be cool if reviews could be put in their own subforum on the forum boards, but I didn't feel like raising the suggestion in Site Talk because I really don't feel like my input carries any weight around here.

As to the specific instance of writing FAQs for hacked games, how many of these romhacks are made to be insanely challenging? That in itself is a tall order, because to write the FAQ, they'd have to beat it first. That's kind of the problem with making a game that hard, is that the FAQ basically will end up being "If you get lucky, this and this and this" 5 times a page.

There's a certain...one-dimensionality to the idea that all you can do is make the game harder. Why not just make it the same level of challenge as the source material, but just something that is going to confuse muscle memory a bit? Ultimate Castlevania did this to me a few times, and it was pretty cool too. That's how you do it.

But an FAQ for every DOUBLEDELUXE SUPER CHALLENGE version of a game on here is a very tall, Everest-level order.
Yamero~~!

NERV Agent

• Restricted Access
  • Eva Unit 01
    • View Profile
    • Watch my anime shitposts on YouTube! Smell them, too!
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 05:18:01 pm »
How about FAQs for parody hacks of RPGs, where names of spells, items, etc. have been changed? A listing of the original terms corresponding to in-hack parody terms makes sense.

DarioEMeloD

• RomHacking enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • GitHub
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 05:29:50 pm »
Maybe a wiki or something like that would be better suited for this sort of thing, so everyone can contribute. But it'd be difficult nonetheless, you'd still need a lot of people committed to it, even if you only consider the more "mainstream" hacks like Parallel Worlds or Rogue Dawn.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 12:51:01 pm »
How about FAQs for parody hacks of RPGs, where names of spells, items, etc. have been changed? A listing of the original terms corresponding to in-hack parody terms makes sense.
I'm sure Tomato would like to see someone write an FAQ on his "Funky Fantasy IV" patch. It's completely unnecessary since the gameplay itself is unchanged but it would be funny to read.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018