News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy IV Prettified  (Read 15996 times)

lexluthermiester

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IV Prettified
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2017, 11:41:52 am »
This looks really good! Like!  :thumbsup:

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2017, 03:13:41 pm »
Started working on battle stuff:

Basic VRAM "expansion" done (moved BG3 graphics to a previous VRAM page, it exploits some unused ranges which granted me more than 350 tiles to work with), now I just need to find every single damn routine that populates this mess. :P
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

Teeporage777

• rom hacker of mario games
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2017, 09:49:47 am »
 This looks really nice. Great job.
"..But it doesn't matter. Nothing matters anymore.."

KillerBob

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2017, 02:36:21 pm »
Incredible work! Looks great, it's unfortunate that you were unable to use the larger font for the opening/legend crawl. Had no luck trying to apply the work in progress-patch you posted, maybe I'm doing something wrong. Has anyone else tried it?
Keep up the awesome work! :thumbsup:

Squall_FF8

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2017, 03:16:00 am »
Excellent work!

May I ask you, what font format are you using? Is it something standard like Square Font, or something home-brew?

Also I'm interested in some technical details about implementation, like how many tiles are you using to render a page, what are the limitations, maybe share some difficulties ...
Welcome to the FF5 Den: https://discord.gg/AUqDF85

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2017, 04:17:11 pm »
Started working on battle stuff:

Basic VRAM "expansion" done (moved BG3 graphics to a previous VRAM page, it exploits some unused ranges which granted me more than 350 tiles to work with), now I just need to find every single damn routine that populates this mess. :P

Well... you got Defend to finally be right. The rest of that is... a place I've never looked. I assume at leave 7-8 routines draw characters to the separate menus depending on context. That has always been a bit beyond me, so best of luck!

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2017, 07:07:32 pm »
I looked into how to hack those menus for Tomato.
I recall those menus used their own font basically with their own font encoding.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2017, 08:55:33 am »
Has anyone else tried it?
Which ROM are you using? Lenophis did some tests with the xdelta and it's working fine on his end too.

May I ask you, what font format are you using? Is it something standard like Square Font, or something home-brew?

Also I'm interested in some technical details about implementation, like how many tiles are you using to render a page, what are the limitations, maybe share some difficulties ...
Not sure what's a Square Font, but I'm using raw 2bpp fonts for almost everything. They're fast and require no extra code for proportional rendering. :laugh:
As for the actual technical part: dialog rendering uses 168 (24x7) tiles and disables pages scrolling to avoid issues with backbuffers, while messages with the 8x8 font use 192 tiles (24x8). The biggest technical difficulty was rewriting how text parsing is done, since the original does a lot of messy stuff in order to refill a tilemap, while my code goes in little steps: it expands a dialog into a buffer, formats line wraps (still WIP, it's not implemented in any release), then renders text into a canvas buffer, and finally hijacks the NMI routines to copy the canvas to VRAM.

Well... you got Defend to finally be right. The rest of that is... a place I've never looked. I assume at leave 7-8 routines draw characters to the separate menus depending on context. That has always been a bit beyond me, so best of luck!
I looked into how to hack those menus for Tomato.
I recall those menus used their own font basically with their own font encoding.
Defend, Change, and MP needed use 4bpp graphics derived from the actual 2bpp font since they are displayed on BG2. What I did there was replace the upscale + DMA transfer with actual 4bpp graphics. Finding tilemaps was a bit of a mess because battle code tends to use completely different conventions. I'm still struggling with just rendering the other strings.

Squall_FF8

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2017, 09:21:18 am »
Not sure what's a Square Font, but I'm using raw 2bpp fonts for almost everything.
I'm talking about this. It has even an Editor. As far as I know it became a standard for all Square titles starting with GBA. The font format itself is not limited to 2bpp, but I haven't seen anything different. Interesting trait is possibility to have fonts with height higher then 8, which is interesting from rendering perspective :)
Welcome to the FF5 Den: https://discord.gg/AUqDF85

wanzer

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2017, 01:14:10 am »
If we're talking prettification, why not make the field sprites bigger (like FF6 size?)

KillerBob

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2017, 07:01:31 am »
Which ROM are you using? Lenophis did some tests with the xdelta and it's working fine on his end too.
Sorry for the false alarm. Don't know what I did wrong, but it works now.
Hope you succeed rendering the other strings in the battle engine,this is amazing work!  :beer:

Kiyoshi Aman

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2017, 08:55:27 pm »
If we're talking prettification, why not make the field sprites bigger (like FF6 size?)

Are you volunteering to put in the work necessary to bring the field sprites up to FF6 standards?

Gedankenschild

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 25, 2017, 06:53:06 pm »
Oooh, this looks really nice! When I saw the subject and who started it, I assumed we were talking about the PSX version. I thought you weren't particularly interested in hacking the SNES version...

I will most certainly make sure that my own hack remains compatible with this one! Hopefully the prerendered battle font doesn't use every little bit of VRAM left? I was hoping to increase the amount used for background graphics at least a little bit...

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #53 on: December 26, 2017, 12:21:53 pm »
Hopefully the prerendered battle font doesn't use every little bit of VRAM left? I was hoping to increase the amount used for background graphics at least a little bit...

I guess I kinda overdid VRAM expansion and left no empty tiles. :P

Gedankenschild

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 26, 2017, 03:44:20 pm »
It actually took me a little to realize you hadn't scrolled all the way down on the 2nd screenshot. :o
That doesn't look like a lot at all for all that prerendered stuff! Are you only loading what's visible on screen and DMAing things from SRAM on the fly?
I think I remember byuu writing about that.