News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Looking for some guidance with starting to edit text in Sega CD and PSX games.  (Read 339 times)

gremkin

• View Profile
Hello

It's very rare for me to brave forums, but this is something i have been searching for and I keep getting my self confused and when I think I am finally getting somewhere I hit a dead end.

I have edited text with Snes, nes etc roms and want to move on to something different, I know I have to rip the disc to make an image, but after that I need a bit of guidance.

1.From what I have read seems like I have to extract the files from the disc image so the uncompressed files are available but what do I use to accomplish this or am I wrong about this?

2. Is Windhex32 good to use for the Hex editing or do I need something else?

3. everything after that I believe I understand.

Please be gentle with me! :-[

NERV Agent

• View Profile
1,) Just use Windows Explorer. If that doesn't work, CDMage or IsoBuster.

2.) Personally, I use an "unofficial" full version of Hex Workshop.

3.) There is no universal way of editing text in Sega CD and PSX games. Different games use different types of formats and compression. It depends on what game you want to hack.
Pen Pen is waifu of the year.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
1. I used CDMage for that.
2. Perfectly fine.  We all have our preferences though.
3. There's no universal way for any game.  Especially between different consoles.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
I think in PS1 it can vary between games, but I don't think Sega CD used a standardized file structure. Or at least I haven't heard of it.

Often ISOs of Sega CD are distributed with each track in a separate file.
The "data" track would then be like a giant ROM.

(if instead the ISO is distributed as an only a couple files, such as the common "BIN and CUE" then you would need some program made to view files within ISOs)
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

weissvulf

• Good news! An anomaly solved the enigma.
    • View Profile
Hello gramkin :)
I used CDMage for that.
This is definitely the program you want to use for Playstation games. HERE. Some of their game files are written in a mode that Windows doesn't support so you'll get an error if you try to drag the file off in explorer (specifically, files containing sound). The reason for 'extracting' the files from the CD image is that CDs contain 'sector header' data at regular intervals throughout the disk image. It's just for the CD-drive's reference and not part of the actual game data.

When you 'extract' a file from a CD image, you're dealing with the data as the game sees it. CDMage will extract files from the game image (removing the sector data) and more importantly, reinsert the edited file. Just right-click on a file in the right-side window and select 'extract files' or 'import file'.

Compression is something completely different. Extracting a file from a BIN/CUE image won't decompress it. If the game happens to use compression (many do not), it's handled internally by the game's exe.

I have a couple tools I developed for my own use in translating PS1 games, but I was thinking of releasing them since they might help others. I'd be happy to have a tester if you get to that point. One is a simple address converter to help locate data between the EXE, RAM, hex editor etc. The other dumps text and pointers to an ASM file for easy translation, but it only supports games that use non-compressed Shift-JIS text.

As far as Hex editors, MadEdit is the best one I know of for Japanese text, HxD for data.