News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Chrono Trigger Bugfix and Uncensoring Patch  (Read 88395 times)

Mauron

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger Bugfix and Uncensoring Patch
« Reply #380 on: September 20, 2019, 02:17:46 pm »
Possibly just someone forgetting to change the Max HP from default (unused enemies have 1 HP), and people killing them easily in testing, since you'll do more than 110 damage against a Peeping Doom at that point.

andrewclunn: Do you have anything to narrow down when it happens?
Mauron wuz here.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #381 on: September 20, 2019, 02:34:35 pm »
Possibly just someone forgetting to change the Max HP from default (unused enemies have 1 HP), and people killing them easily in testing, since you'll do more than 110 damage against a Peeping Doom at that point.
In that case it might be a Monster status issue.  And I don't really want to change that, because I'd rather leave that data unchanged so that the gameplay would keep the same (it might also conflict with Chrono Trigger Platinum).
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 02:43:28 pm by Chronosplit »

Cthulhu88

• View Profile
« Reply #382 on: September 20, 2019, 03:37:34 pm »
In that case it might be a Monster status issue.  And I don't really want to change that, because I'd rather leave that data unchanged so that the gameplay would keep the same (it might also conflict with Chrono Trigger Platinum).

You can check if Platinum does change it (I doubt it, since the glitched value is 1). Offset is $0C4CD7. Vanilla value is $01, correct value should be $6E (110).

September 22, 2019, 03:43:43 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Be careful with my MSU-1 code. I've made a mistake with the Y register by forgetting that the high bits of the X and Y registers reset to 0 when the x flag is set.
This will lead to data corruption in some places and a bug where not only it froze my game, but also corrupted slot #1 save data.

I'll be fixing this asap.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 03:43:43 am by Cthulhu88 »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #383 on: September 22, 2019, 08:27:18 pm »
THanks for the tip!  I haven't added it to anything final yet, thankfully.

Cthulhu88

• View Profile
« Reply #384 on: September 23, 2019, 11:52:09 am »
Updated the post with a new version (1.1.1):
  • Fixed a data corruption issue linked to the Y register in 8-bits mode.
  • Fixed track resume not always working.
  • Added an extra byte to the header storing whether the cross-assemble was done in HiROM or ExHIROM mode.

C header struct:
Code: [Select]
struct Header
{
    char    id[11];      // MSU-1 MUSIC
    uint8_t version[3];  // Patch, Minor, Major
    int8_t  exhirom : 1; // 0 or 1
};

For some reason my gateway isn't routing to Mega's addresses. I've uploaded it somewhere else for now.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 12:06:34 pm by Cthulhu88 »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #385 on: September 23, 2019, 04:53:26 pm »
Mega isn't always the kindest thing.  At one point I just stopped putting out URLs to single files, because my updating them stopped making the link able to be used. o.O

Cthulhu88

• View Profile
« Reply #386 on: September 23, 2019, 11:20:17 pm »
Mega isn't always the kindest thing.  At one point I just stopped putting out URLs to single files, because my updating them stopped making the link able to be used. o.O

It's an issue with my ISP's gateway though. As soon as the packet leaves my cable modem and hits the gateway, the packet is dropped.
Not sure if done intentionally or a technical issue, but in the past I had similar issues with them dropping Pastebin.
Nothing I can do, other than using a VPN, as brazilian ISPs are awful while the government will never enforce anything on them.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #387 on: September 24, 2019, 05:17:09 pm »
Ah, I see.  If you need to, I can always put anything up in my own Mega!

Also I'm sorry about the holdup, it appears that finding the junk space is the part that takes a lot of time right now (longer than I had thought actually). The graphics are just slightly bigger than before, as expected. :P
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 09:20:15 pm by Chronosplit »

Cthulhu88

• View Profile
« Reply #388 on: September 26, 2019, 03:31:20 am »
Ah, I see.  If you need to, I can always put anything up in my own Mega!

Also I'm sorry about the holdup, it appears that finding the junk space is the part that takes a lot of time right now (longer than I had thought actually). The graphics are just slightly bigger than before, as expected. :P

What do you need space for?

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #389 on: September 26, 2019, 03:00:21 pm »
What do you need space for?
It's more tedium than anything because it's a big list and IRL.  I'm in the middle tracking down a chunk of junk data the size of B64 for the new Prehistory/Antiquity edit.  It's a small detail, but going down the list in the database I just need a section that's both big enough and not in use. :P

Cthulhu88

• View Profile
« Reply #390 on: September 26, 2019, 04:17:59 pm »
It's more tedium than anything because it's a big list and IRL.  I'm in the middle tracking down a chunk of junk data the size of B64 for the new Prehistory/Antiquity edit.  It's a small detail, but going down the list in the database I just need a section that's both big enough and not in use. :P

Use the ExHiROM section. Unlike me, you don't need to have backward compatibility.
Your hack only uses about 100 KB of the ExHiROM section. Plenty of space in there.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #391 on: September 26, 2019, 08:56:12 pm »
Use the ExHiROM section. Unlike me, you don't need to have backward compatibility.
Your hack only uses about 100 KB of the ExHiROM section. Plenty of space in there.
I was almost going to, but I think I just found my place.  Turns out the area I used for the beta naming fix has enough space and is completely unused, so all aboard 0x41F400.

About backwards compat: I like the idea of keeping things as welcoming as possible for new translations (yep, one's been done before) so I try to be as simple for everyone to get things working as possible.  At the same time minus the element signs, credits, and the time menu it's all straight text.  Not very many graphics to edit that I can think of.  So it probably would've been fine. :P

EDIT: And there we go!  One change between mine and the tutorial: I did not need to add 0xC0 because the space is past 0x400000.  Only thing left is getting Antiquity right, edit the mentions in text, and we're done.  I may put up a quick IPS for only the graphics, if anyone wants it.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 09:55:23 pm by Chronosplit »

Mauron

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: September 26, 2019, 10:08:15 pm »
Good point. I'll clarify that part.
Mauron wuz here.

Cthulhu88

• View Profile
« Reply #393 on: September 26, 2019, 10:20:25 pm »
0x41F400 is ExHiROM space in both virtual and physical spaces.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #394 on: September 26, 2019, 11:45:41 pm »
0x41F400 is ExHiROM space in both virtual and physical spaces.
Yep!  Kinda funny, but I realized that after that post.  That's how it ended up, I suppose.

EDIT: Alright, one more thing here.

Dark Ages doesn't have any mention in the script, so Antiquity doesn't really change much.  Prehistory however has a few, but only two actually refer to the era itself with the others just saying that something is prehistoric.  The latter are used correctly even with the name change.  So, only a couple of changes will actually be done to the script.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 11:11:38 am by Chronosplit »

Cthulhu88

• View Profile
« Reply #395 on: September 28, 2019, 04:44:19 pm »
How far are you from releasing the new version? And will it include MSU-1?

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #396 on: September 29, 2019, 11:09:35 am »
How far are you from releasing the new version? And will it include MSU-1?
Not far, just about everything's in except MSU-1.  I'm still fiddling with the tile assembly though (Maybe I'm just always hitting the wrong mark using the guide logic, but every fourth byte I'm replacing does nothing?  According to Tile Molester the Ag tile should mean I replace the 5C byte, but is this a rookie mistake?).  After that it's smooth sailing.  The graphics are done in a way that I can just port to every other version via patch, and then there's those final text edits and we should be done!

As for MSU-1, I'm planning on it.  I still need to finish up the readme on it, but for the most part it's prepared outside of acutally applying it to the patches which will be the final thing.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 11:36:53 am by Chronosplit »

Cthulhu88

• View Profile
« Reply #397 on: September 29, 2019, 01:28:13 pm »
I ask because I am writing an extra sanity check for part of the fade in/out code. Thing is, I am unsure whether this sanity check will break anything specific later on or not, so I still have some testings to do.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #398 on: September 29, 2019, 02:48:06 pm »
I ask because I am writing an extra sanity check for part of the fade in/out code. Thing is, I am unsure whether this sanity check will break anything specific later on or not, so I still have some testings to do.
Noted.  Honestly, I don't mean to rush or anything.  If there's a case in which I'm completely done beforehand, I have no disappointment in letting it slide until another update.  What's important is that it's done correctly, after all.

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #399 on: September 29, 2019, 10:07:51 pm »
I just wanted to say that I'm looking forward to trying this hack as soon as you get your update out that you mentioned. It looks great! I recently played through the DS version.