News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Chrono Trigger Bugfix and Uncensoring Patch  (Read 71731 times)

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger Bugfix and Uncensoring Patch
« Reply #240 on: March 30, 2019, 10:50:20 pm »
Hey! I'm watching my friend play Chrono Trigger for the very first time on twitch and it's your version they are playing. When my friend got to 2300 AD and encountered the rat that brings up the text "Stole a tonic!", they were under the impression that they were stealing from the rat rather than the rat stealing from them. I think it was a reasonable incorrect interpretation based on the text. My suggestion would be to change the text to "It stole a tonic!"
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 11:58:11 pm by Chicken Knife »

nejimakipiyo

• View Profile
    • Demon Passion
« Reply #241 on: April 01, 2019, 12:04:49 am »
*waves* Hello, I'm the friend who's playing Chrono Trigger and streaming it on Twitch! I'm very happy to be playing this game - it's actually my first time playing it, and Chicken Knife suggested I use your patch so I did. :)

By the way, today I found something in the Millenial Fair that is hopefully a minor and easy change.

When you play the 10 point game, this guy introduces himself as Piette:

But if the floaty guy asks you to find him, he says Piett:

...I sure hope those image uploads worked!
I am being the real demon king, you fools!

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 01, 2019, 09:36:07 am »
Hey! I'm watching my friend play Chrono Trigger for the very first time on twitch and it's your version they are playing. When my friend got to 2300 AD and encountered the rat that brings up the text "Stole a tonic!", they were under the impression that they were stealing from the rat rather than the rat stealing from them. I think it was a reasonable incorrect interpretation based on the text. My suggestion would be to change the text to "It stole a tonic!"
That is actually a good idea.  That line was probably shortened due to space constraints.

*waves* Hello, I'm the friend who's playing Chrono Trigger and streaming it on Twitch! I'm very happy to be playing this game - it's actually my first time playing it, and Chicken Knife suggested I use your patch so I did. :)

By the way, today I found something in the Millenial Fair that is hopefully a minor and easy change.

When you play the 10 point game, this guy introduces himself as Piette:

But if the floaty guy asks you to find him, he says Piett:

...I sure hope those image uploads worked!

Sounds like there's a string I left out somewhere, which is somewhat easy to do in that area because there are a ton of strings.  I'll look into it!

April 02, 2019, 02:21:22 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Alright, a couple of things on this.  Interesting thing I found: it's no wonder that the tonic stealing line is so short, there's some unused stuff in both Ruin 16 lines!  Right after both there's a delay and a scream, and the second one even has an instance of stealing 500G.  I've never run into the latter, but I'll address it as well.  Probably something everyone knows about, but I hadn't yet.  Either way, these are the only two instances of this string.  So add a word, space it back once to make sure it looks about the same, done.

The error in Piette>Piett is indeed a missing string, but not in all patches.  There are loads of little strings in the minigame, so I'm going to go over this about three times more to make sure. :P

One more thing: either way, the extended patches will no longer be addons.  They'll be their own one time patch.  This means that everything is included in one patch, no matter what you want.  It's just better for all of us.

April 02, 2019, 03:40:41 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Submitted and in the Mega.  The remaining Piette strings were only in the Skydark patches.  File size is a little bigger now but it's not enough to impact really slow connections all that much (I think).

EDIT: Whoops!  Forgot a small changelog.

Code: [Select]
-Added an "it" to the stolen item prompts in Ruin 16, so it's more clear that the mouse stole a Tonic from you.
-Fixed SkyDark patches having a string that still said Piette.
-Liberties Extended patches are now standalone instead of hiding out in the addons folder.  This basically makes everyone's patching experience easier while I gear up for a major update to those.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 04:50:27 pm by Chronosplit »

nejimakipiyo

• View Profile
    • Demon Passion
« Reply #243 on: April 23, 2019, 02:49:09 pm »
I just finished last night, and want to thank you for this hack. Of course it was my first time playing so I can't compare to the original localization but this was a great first experience of the game and I'll definitely be using your version for replays as well!

I have several screenshots of text errors that could be fixed, but before that, Chicken Knife and I noticed an issue with the character Magus. Being the fool that I am, I renamed him to Janus in my playthrough (I like that name better anyway) and then all of the NPCs started referring to him as Janus as well. That seemed a bit silly to us, because they would only know him as Magus!
So it seems like the name is in the NPC dialogue as an op code; would it be possible to change that to Magus to allow for some consistency for people who rename characters?

And without further ado, the screenshots!

The correct spelling of this should be "polliwog":

This should be "a while" here:

This it's should be its:

And finally, Kin should be Kino:

I believe those were the only things I caught. Sorry to be annoying!

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 23, 2019, 04:39:58 pm »
Thank you very much, and it's no problem at all!  The minor text issues, I thought that there would be more from original text. Two of those three are original text issues and one is my fault, I'll get them all however.

The name of Magus is a bit of an issue, isn't it?  The weirdness here is original intent and can be chalked up to the limitations of the game along with being a "hidden" character (we can't just have NPCs call back to his old name yet use his new name in a New Game+, at least I don't think so...), however at the same time lorewise the name is actually more of a title (from Midna's post a few pages back: it's a translation/localization of "maou" which translates to "demon-king" and is a generic evil-overlord-type title in Japanese media).  Thing is that this fact is used very little in the game by all, even moreso in the SNES translation.

Using the title part more can fix this.  Slattery had saught to remedy this in the DS version by these NPCs using Fiendlord instead of his name.  Before I was hesitant about it, but this time I'll look into this as something like this is actually doable with the formatting fixes.  It would also help with the legend of Frog that you hear in sidequests.  Maybe just The Magus, Plus had a similar idea IIRC :P

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 23, 2019, 08:40:34 pm »
@Chronosplit

I experienced the use of Fiendlord in the frozen flame hack that made its way to this site recently. It worked quite well for me. It would certainly make it far less awkward by not having this very public figure's name suddenly change in countless entries of NPC text after renaming him. Even if you didn't go that route and kept them referring to Magus after the name change, I still think it would be better that way. This might be a minority opinion, but when I think about renaming a character, I always think of it as giving them a private name that your party calls them--not retroactively changing their name for their entire life. Debates around this don't generally arise because RPGs tend to give you the rename option just after meeting a character. But in this case, there is already this huge legacy of people using the name Magus before you get the opportunity to rename him. It creates an awkward scenario when you go back and talk to them afterwards. Nejimakipiyo and I both strongly felt that. We wouldn't have batted an eye if they were still saying Magus however.

Btw, I have a couple other notes I wrote down that were not covered in nejimakipiyo's 4 screenshots.

When you fight the elemental scout creatures in the Ocean Palace, it displays in battle text of "Blue Scout fights all mag but "Water." We didn't like the word "fights." Counters would seem to be the appropriate word based on what they do, and it looked like there was additional character space in the text box. If there is in fact not enough space, I think it would be better to lose the quotation marks around "Water" for instance.

Also, I can't remember where this was in the game, but there was a line:

Yum
Tastes like chicken

It appeared just like that with the Yum indented in a way that looked awkward.

That's all I had to say additionally.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 10:05:36 am by Chicken Knife »

nejimakipiyo

• View Profile
    • Demon Passion
« Reply #246 on: April 24, 2019, 11:02:37 am »
Yes, that is what I meant re: Magus. Whether the NPCs refer to him as Magus, or Fiendlord, or The Magus, it would be fine, as long as they don't start calling him Janus (or whatever else a player may rename him to).

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 24, 2019, 01:52:00 pm »
I'll consider both names!  There's a lot of lines attributed however, I need to also consider who in 600 AD calls him what (do the monsters know him by name?), with the rest of the eras it's pretty easy.

Also, good news: I'm finally getting a windows machine back in action, and with that you'll see no more weirdness that I can attribute to OSX Wine wrappers or that odd macosx folder.  Also the latest BSNES to test with, which will be important whenever the FMVs come around.  Thing is though, some time needs to be alotted for configuration (updating forever, etc.).  Shouldn't be very long.

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 25, 2019, 10:42:28 am »
I'll consider both names!  There's a lot of lines attributed however, I need to also consider who in 600 AD calls him what (do the monsters know him by name?), with the rest of the eras it's pretty easy.

Also, good news: I'm finally getting a windows machine back in action, and with that you'll see no more weirdness that I can attribute to OSX Wine wrappers or that odd macosx folder.  Also the latest BSNES to test with, which will be important whenever the FMVs come around.  Thing is though, some time needs to be alotted for configuration (updating forever, etc.).  Shouldn't be very long.
I know you've been having computer struggles for awhile. Glad to hear those issues should be all sorted out now!

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 25, 2019, 12:32:54 pm »
I know you've been having computer struggles for awhile. Glad to hear those issues should be all sorted out now!
That also means that after this update's in the bag, I can gear up for some other projects again.  Like I can use Polished Map now for pokecrystal.  But that's for later.

April 28, 2019, 07:18:52 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Sorry about the pause, I had to sort out some issues before getting w10 on here.

Work on this starts tomorrow.  I plan to round all these up together best as I can, including a larger name update for the Extended patches.  I'll let more about that out of the bag when it's time.

April 30, 2019, 11:09:40 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Using Fiendlord isn't so easy as it looks.  It depends on how much I want to change the script.

The thing that makes this title work is that Mystics are Fiends there, IIRC they were originally Demons to coincide with his original name (which would make the DS script's usage a bit of a compromise between the two).  Mystic Lord feels like it'd be too long for a lot of these one-off lines, but I can try it!  Or I can just change Mystics to Fiends (or even Demons/Demonlord, if we're going to change it we may as well do it that way), though Mystic works perfectly fine as-is.

The Magus is out either way.  It just doesn't work as it should.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 11:46:39 pm by Chronosplit »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 07, 2019, 04:06:26 pm »
I tried to post right before RHDN went down today (as you do), so let's see if this one works.  Time for an update to the update.  I'm going to call this version 7, as it quickly looks to be a long and big one.  Many things to do.

Magus title: I'll be using The Fiendlord for Magus's name in the Middle ages and the Present where it fits.  I'll also be renaming the Mystics to Fiends (the reason why Fiendlord even worked, and as it turns out Mystic is a censored form of this due to Fiend being a synonym of demon).  I have tried other alternatives (Mystic Lord, Demons/Demonlord) but none of them stuck like Slattery's usage.  There will also be an offhand reference to this in the cove.  Magus's name will be used all other times and also in places like Medina, Magus's generals, and the Cathedral's chanting room.

There will not be a version that omits these changes.  It's simply too large.

Quotation marks: Quotation marks around items, status effects, elements, etc. is something that really isn't needed in the script at all.  I'm looking into this, but I'm not going to do it unless it can be consistent (the tutorial about status effects is the big one here).

Liberties Extended: These patches will be receiving a minor overhaul, in that more item names will be updated in kind (only in these patches).  While I'm not sure about just how many, if something can improved by it I will make an attempt.  I'll be using LethargicOwl's item names as inspiration here, though I won't be defaulting to DS at all.

Other stuff:
-P.E. no longer has that strange page break in the castle.
-Spelling fixes in the tale about Cyrus, Magus's edited lines in the Lavos Core battle, the ending, and in the Genocidome.
-The readme document will be an ODT.  No reason to keep an RTF around after a computer switch to Windows.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 05:57:44 pm by Chronosplit »

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 07, 2019, 04:26:29 pm »
-The readme document will be an ODF.  No reason to keep an RTF around after a computer switch to Windows.

Just make these kind of things a simple .txt file...

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 07, 2019, 05:31:41 pm »
Just make these kind of things a simple .txt file...
I do for the readme files in the database, but I'm thinking of making things a bit more readable to make the format worth it.  At least later on, as the thing is pretty cluttered right now what with the long lists of just about every single change thus far.  I don't blame people for not finding the information they need immediately.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 06:10:19 pm by Chronosplit »

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 08, 2019, 07:00:09 am »
Since the equivalent of Fiendlord was used for Magus in the Japanese version, how did his name default when he joins your party? Fiendlord? Janus?

How would it default in yours?

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 08, 2019, 11:54:12 am »
Since the equivalent of Fiendlord was used for Magus in the Japanese version, how did his name default when he joins your party? Fiendlord? Janus?

How would it default in yours?
That's a good question, because in spite of the language barrier I believe the original japanese had the same issue with changing his name.

He's still Magus though.  I realize that this is basically like calling a ruler "King Chief Engineer," but given the situation I don't really think there's another way around it.  His generals and such calling him Janus before the reveal of his past (in the first playthrough that is) just wouldn't work right.  It's supposed to be a surprise after all, or at least a mystery.

I like to think in this case that there's the big scary name the humans gave him over the war, there's the name he assumes during that time period (out of hatred for his mother I guess), and then there's his original name.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 12:43:42 pm by Chronosplit »

nejimakipiyo

• View Profile
    • Demon Passion
« Reply #255 on: May 09, 2019, 01:18:08 pm »
This is all coming back to what I said before. I don't think a retranslation of his name is necessary per se, unless you were going to retranslate the names of all of the characters too. Magus is fine. My specific problem was that changing the character's name in the game (I named him Janus, but i dunno what if someone else wanted to name him something different, for example their own name) also changes how everyone else refers to him, which it shouldn't. Regardless of what his name actually is, I think that's the biggest problem here.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 09, 2019, 07:52:29 pm »
Honestly I feel the same way.  I'm pretty sure that no one really wants me going that far anyway.  I always try to keep with the slightest approach possible in matters like this, and besides I feel that no default character names really need a redo. :P

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 09, 2019, 08:01:50 pm »
Honestly I feel the same way.  I'm pretty sure that no one really wants me going that far anyway.  I always try to keep with the slightest approach possible in matters like this, and besides I feel that no default character names really need a redo. :P
I'm also in agreement with leaving Magus Magus. If you were going to use fiendlord or archfiend or demon king it should totally replace Magus like it does in the Japanese game and I don't think any of those really work for that purpose. Magus works well for his public name (and even default) with Janus working as his private name. Since a lot of players will want to change to Janus, I would definitely make all the public text still say Magus since it is so established in the game by the point he joins.

One more thing: reading over info on chrono compendium, it looks like Ayla's Crononick name defaulted to just "Cro" in the Japanese. I think that's really good actually. It sounds like a reference to Cro Magnon while being something I could hear Ayla saying. Plus the feature itself would get more mileage from people that always stick to defaults.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 14, 2019, 12:28:51 pm »
One oddity here is the Heckran battle.  Actually, it was always an oddity... at least according to the awkward retranslation notes which I won't be using much in this case.  Anyway!

The Heckran is the one who tells everyone that Magus summoned Lavos.  I always thought that this stuck out as kinda odd, because the town just before already has that information.  However with the name alterations, this little thing can have a band-aid put onto it.  It's now done so that it's the first time the party puts Fiendlord and Magus together as the same person, as at this point no one has seen him in person yet.  Here's the idea:

Code: [Select]
If only the great Fiendlord {Magus},
who brought forth Lavos 400 years ago,
had destroyed the human race!{full break}
The world would've belonged to us
Fiends!{null}

Question is though, does the party name him The Fiendlord or Magus after this?  I'm willing to say the latter, because they deal with Magus far after The Fiendlord bit (plus that means a lighter touch, with no need to edit those lines).  So the question now is what about Frog?  He's part of the party, so maybe the same deal?  In the meantime, I also found that in Choras I hadn't even edited the Magus line right.  The legend is spoken in more than one place in the area.  Now that's consistent!

Also, here's a neat little thing I found that people reading this should like.  It's the HD Mode 7 beta playing CT's ending credits! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss49vVbULOQ&feature=share
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 01:02:31 pm by Chronosplit »

Mauron

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 14, 2019, 03:51:26 pm »
Heckran forces the party to learn about Lavos, causing the cutscene. It's important to plot advancement, but some players might miss the town version. Probably beyond the scope of this hack, but theGreatBen should have the party react if they learn it in town first.

I'd go with the party calling him Magus. Frog might go with Fiendlord Magus.

I like that video... but I need to hack it to make the text boxes less ugly.

Did I give you my HP to 1 Barrier/Shield fix? HP to 1 attacks disable the effect of Barrier/Shield for the remainder of the battle. I had a simple fix that changed this, but I later realized that the 6 Nu fight relies on this behavior. Three of the Nus in there reduce your HP to 1, but the other three do the minimum of 1 damage, unless you have Barrier/Shield up, which reduces it to 0. I'll have a more extensive patch later to address this, but for now leaving the bug alone seems like the best course of action.
Mauron wuz here.