News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Chrono Trigger Bugfix and Uncensoring Patch  (Read 38231 times)

teahouser

• View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger Bugfix and Uncensoring Patch
« Reply #160 on: May 26, 2018, 04:22:23 pm »
I do see your point either way, that's why I propose an optional thing.  People can choose and by that everyone wins.  Only weakness to this is that I'm not sure if the Canoe fix will cover addons.

Either way, it'll take a while to impliment.  IRL, you know. :P

If the stars are to only show magic spells, then Marle is still missing stars for Aura and Provoke, and Frog should have one for Slurp, so  even as is it's wrong which bugs me lol. Yeah only spend time on this if you think it's worth it, I really feel it would be a useful edition to the game, and also what the original developers intended for them to mean. The whole battle system revolves around knowing what tecs cause elemental damage, so having stars to show that would be ideal.

Xaliphe

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 26, 2018, 06:08:51 pm »
All of the techs tagged with stars are actual magic while the ones that are not come from more physical means. To be honest it would be more consistent to remove the stars all together since techs that use magic are not tagged with them and they really can't be since a lot use the max space possible for naming. Which also would mean they can't be tagged with their element outside of the tech's description.

teahouser

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 26, 2018, 06:47:59 pm »
All of the techs tagged with stars are actual magic while the ones that are not come from more physical means. To be honest it would be more consistent to remove the stars all together since techs that use magic are not tagged with them and they really can't be since a lot use the max space possible for naming. Which also would mean they can't be tagged with their element outside of the tech's description.

I think the stars would be limited to single techs anyway, but you bring up a good point that deleting them all together would clean it up and probably be the easiest to do.

Either way it's pretty minor thing, so maybe if you get bored sometime Chronosplit you can make element star/delete star add ons lol  :thumbsup:

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 26, 2018, 06:54:41 pm »
I did a quick check, and more menu space is used by adding stars in places than I had originally estimated.  I am not going to shorten any names for this sort of thing, as for a lot of these space is at a premium already.

As for outright removing them as an addon, that is possible and I'll look into it.  As for space opening, it won't make a suffixes patch easier or anything.  You get a space in Lightning 2 and that's about it.

Xaliphe

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 26, 2018, 10:56:25 pm »
I did a quick check, and more menu space is used by adding stars in places than I had originally estimated.  I am not going to shorten any names for this sort of thing, as for a lot of these space is at a premium already.

As for outright removing them as an addon, that is possible and I'll look into it.  As for space opening, it won't make a suffixes patch easier or anything.  You get a space in Lightning 2 and that's about it.

Are suffixes held back by a space problem? *Lightning2 is eleven characters while *Thundara is only nine. Multi techs that use things like Fire or Ice don't seem like they would have space problems either (Fire Tackle -> Fira Tackle, FireSword 2 -> Fira Sword, Ice Sword 2 -> Ica Sword, etc.)

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: May 27, 2018, 08:09:17 am »
Are suffixes held back by a space problem? *Lightning2 is eleven characters while *Thundara is only nine. Multi techs that use things like Fire or Ice don't seem like they would have space problems either (Fire Tackle -> Fira Tackle, FireSword 2 -> Fira Sword, Ice Sword 2 -> Ica Sword, etc.)
I was planning on doing this similar to the closest FF analogy because they share a lot with it in the spell names.  Last I checked the suffixes are the -ga ones instead of -ra similar to how FFV does two spell tiers, so it'd be something like...

Fire/Firaga
Thunder/Thundaga
Water/Waterga
Ice/Icega or Blizzard/Blizzaga (Probably the former due to space)
Cure/Curaga
Life/Full-Life or Raise/Arise (For consistency's sake.)
Antipode/Antipodra/Antipodga (Or something like that, maybe remove the d.  These are numbered in original text, but I'd rather consistency.)

You don't really hit the limit with the Sword ones so hard if Ice is kept, but you tend to smash into it with things like Fire Tackle and dual tech Cures.  The latter can at least be mitigated though.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 10:27:22 am by Chronosplit »

Xaliphe

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 27, 2018, 06:24:36 pm »
Didn't know they went with the -ga suffixes. Also completely forgot about blizzard being a thing for ice. lol

fool777

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 28, 2018, 01:31:13 pm »
The game's preset ID and extra byte value have to be changed in order for this to run on Canoe.

To do so: select the game's name on the left hand side in Hakchi's menu, then press control+alt+e which will bring up the preset ID selection menu for that game. Change the preset ID to 0B11 and the extra byte value to 03. Now resync with your snes mini and you should be good to go.

Thx a lot mate =)

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 29, 2018, 04:21:04 pm »
Gotta make this quick again, Memorial Day helped.

Welp, I looked through the readme.  I realized that I never put in the modifications I took from reading over the original Bugfix patch's notes, that was a whoopsie from back when this was a messed up addendum.  So all credit is where it's due now.  Also, while looking through it I noted a few things that should have been tended to in the first place.

I wanted to push this out quick because the Canoe Fix probably needs to be updated again.  This is like, the bottom of the barrel of things to fix, so I'm sorry that I need to ask you guys to do so again over two small changes. >.<

So...

All patches:
-Drop Kick>Dropkick (I'm thinking Woolsey meant this spelling, there is an actual meaning for the two word version but I do not imagine that he was thinking football here).
-I'm sure this one was very much wanted, Luminarie's description was completely corrected to the original (Ultimate holy tech / all enemies).
 -SkyDark says Sky instead of holy, kinda like Flare does.

Readme:
-Added stuff missing.

As for star removal, I'm attempting to make it so one doesn't need six patches for such a simple thing.  I don't know if it's possible with how things are now though.

pimpinelephant

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 29, 2018, 07:45:24 pm »
ctfix_1a (update4)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/kqof1a

I also just wanted to mention that the Preset ID is incorrect in the ReadMe.
It currently says
I have been told that Preset ID 100B + 03 is the way you want to get this to work natively.

It should be 110B instead of 100B.

Not a big deal at all, but just wanted to mention it just in case anybody got confused. :)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 12:50:46 pm by pimpinelephant »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 29, 2018, 09:18:58 pm »
Oh shoot.

Eh, I'll deal with that next update since it's already uploaded.  I'll get that in the mega in a bit though.  Thanks a lot again!

EDIT: Quick note, the patch on my mirror still says update 3 but it's the new version.  I just changed the name so it would update in the same place easier. :P
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 09:24:47 pm by Chronosplit »

teahouser

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 31, 2018, 10:56:26 am »
Tested new update in Canoe, everything looks good  :thumbsup:

the_E_y_Es

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 02, 2018, 02:35:52 pm »
Don't know if this has been asked before, but could you post a screenshot of what the Sky/Dark patch does in-game?

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 03, 2018, 08:19:57 pm »
Don't know if this has been asked before, but could you post a screenshot of what the Sky/Dark patch does in-game?
Nice idea.  I should probably throw one in the screenshots.  Here's what happens with Crono!

And while looking at that... for some reason Area Bomb is Firebomb?  Uh.  I'll tend to that next update.  Just have one, other, thing to make sure I'm not doing just that...

June 03, 2018, 08:38:56 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Alright, nope.  All I did was a check on Marle's dancing, and I can assure you that isn't being changed (not for these patches anyway, I'll have something about drunken slurs in stuff not changed).  All we have to be uploaded is:

All patches:
Firebomb>Area Bomb

Readme:
More clarity.

Probably going to need an update for canoe fix too.  For one string?  I'm not sure.

EDIT: I think I'm going to be looking at one more update a bit later, FYI.  Chicken knife's come to me with a scene that could use some consistency (when they first see the Lavos footage), and there may or may not be more later.  If I can get no stars in order, that will come along for the ride.  This one may take a while, kinda want to make sure all gets in at once so the big update needs to happen only once. :P

June 04, 2018, 01:19:58 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Still working, but this is what I have so far.  Because of the Canoe Fix, I'm going to be as detailed as I can.  It WILL need to be updated.

Arris Dome Command Center:

Code: [Select]
{Marle}: There's only one thing we
can do!
We must change history! Just like
{Crono} did when he saved me!{null}

{Marle}: Right, {Lucca}?{null} (Right sounds a lot better than Okay here.)

{Marle}: Right, {Crono}?!!{null}

{Lucca}: I... guess so...{null}

{Lucca}: We can't just go back to our world and live comfortably after seeing this.  (note: for some reason I can’t seem to track this line down in the events, but it must be there.)

{Lucca}: It was a stroke of luck that
we were sent here through that
Gate.{null}

{Lucca}: Shall we do it, {Crono}!?{line break}
   Okay, let's do it!{line break}
   Y-you can't just change the future!{null}

Ioka Meeting Site:

{Robo}: G-good morning.
That substance seems to affect humans.{null}

Ioka Meeting Site (party)"

{Ayla}: {CronoNick}, eat, drink, sing, dance!{null} (note: a lot of these will sound similar, basically I left a loooot of soup and eating in that I didn't realize about.)

Meet {CronoNick} today.
Good day!
Eat, drink, party, sing, dance!{null}

{Ayla}: Bring plenty Rock Crash!{null}

{Ayla}: Party now, so drink!
{CronoNick} and {Ayla} have Rock Crash
race!{null}

{Ayla}: {CronoNick} drink more?
{Ayla} no can...{null}

{Ayla}: Stop already?
You strong, but no can drink much.{null}

{Ayla}: {CronoNick} drink plenty.
Drink last bowl for strength!{null}

{Ayla}: Ok, drink.{null}

{Ayla}: Maybe drink too much!{null}

EDIT: Alright, all updated for now.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 02:13:50 pm by Chronosplit »

the_E_y_Es

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 05, 2018, 11:52:31 am »

Oh, I like that.

I looked through the ReadMe more thoroughly, and changes are more extensive than I thought. I'm not really familiar with the patch's history but it seems it grew from a bugfix to a more fleshed out project. 'Diva Flea' and using ChronoNick for Falcon Hit/Cut description are interesting choices, I like where your head's at. If I may offer some nitpicks: AmpliFire seems like the same kind of pun as Ice Sickle, maybe they could share the Name Liberties patch. Also, the equipment names that glue two words together seem inelegant to me. SilverEdge and AkashaEdge, for example. PlantinHelm, etc. The Liberties Extended patch addresses some of these, so maybe I'll use that. Although it's possible that during the normal course of gameplay I wouldn't mind these names at all.

Either way it's a nice thing you have here, and very much needed in my opinion. Keep it up.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 05, 2018, 08:32:39 pm »
Quick fix; SkyDark+Name Liberties didn't have the notices about upgrading the colored vests into plates right.  Just a small oversight, with thanks to Chicken Knife for pointing it out.

Oh, I like that.

I looked through the ReadMe more thoroughly, and changes are more extensive than I thought. I'm not really familiar with the patch's history but it seems it grew from a bugfix to a more fleshed out project. 'Diva Flea' and using ChronoNick for Falcon Hit/Cut description are interesting choices, I like where your head's at. If I may offer some nitpicks: AmpliFire seems like the same kind of pun as Ice Sickle, maybe they could share the Name Liberties patch. Also, the equipment names that glue two words together seem inelegant to me. SilverEdge and AkashaEdge, for example. PlantinHelm, etc. The Liberties Extended patch addresses some of these, so maybe I'll use that. Although it's possible that during the normal course of gameplay I wouldn't mind these names at all.

Either way it's a nice thing you have here, and very much needed in my opinion. Keep it up.
AmpliFire I'll see about at a later time. I think Woolsey meant completely for this to be a pun, but original text says Amplifier.  That said, it stays true to the enemy names and all that.  I may or may not look into Lavos's techs again at the same time.

As for the wordsmash, I tried generally to preserve the original method used in naming things when I went about fixing them.  This is partially personal preference, and partially due to the original nature of the patch.  I may think about expanding Liberties Extended to address more of these items later on (as said earlier in the thread we do have item icons), but I'm not sure about how many items I can actually do that with according to keeping them true to text.  If I do that I might even have to retire them from being addons, the patch size may get bigger. XD

(In all honesty about the above two though, I think after Chicken Knife finishes the playthrough I'm going to take a small break.  With the drinking scene now completely synched I'm feeling pretty comfortable with where things are at.)

I agree with you a bit.  I do my hardest not to completely rewrite anything or actually deviate from the script, but what basically happened was when I had rebuilt the patch I let the boundaries become a little more lax.  At first this was meant to fix areas the original Bugfix patch didn't touch (or couldn't I guess), but with the ability to delve into points that I couldn't touch before, things went a little more towards general improvement.  Basically it went from "just a few small orderly text screwups along with all the drinking as a bonus" to "let's take this a little farther and fix/improve the original script as a whole now, but keep it all intact."

Thank you very much!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 10:35:19 pm by Chronosplit »

pimpinelephant

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 06, 2018, 10:57:30 am »
Apologies for the long delay!

ctfix_1a (update5)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/se8vks

Hopefully I got everything. :)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 02:44:10 pm by pimpinelephant »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 06, 2018, 05:05:27 pm »
Give me a minute, I'll get it uploaded.  Thanks a lot!  I hope I was detailed enough.

June 06, 2018, 09:36:43 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Groan... hold on, one more.

SkyDark and SkyDark+Name Liberties somehow, had Shine Helm as Stone Helm.  How did I do that?  Probably happened around the Rock Helm thing and I made a whoopsie while I was tired and editing the lists.  Do I need to fix it?  Yeah, it already is in the Mega.  I'm just going to keep the RHDN version un-updated for a bit for things to catch up.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 11:24:23 pm by Chronosplit »

pimpinelephant

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 07, 2018, 02:43:12 pm »
ctfix_1a (update6)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/1qh82t

Two whole bytes! :P

Always happy to help! :)

teahouser

• View Profile