News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Chrono Trigger Bugfix and Uncensoring Patch  (Read 38367 times)

vico

• View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger Bugfix and Uncensoring Patch
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2017, 12:40:19 am »
Any plans to make this fixes (obviously the non-gametext ones) compatible with Chrono Trigger Retranslation?

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2017, 02:08:45 am »
Ice pick? What? No. It's a hook or piton, and comes from the German 'Haken'. More than that, the Fiendlord's weapons are all scythes and sickles. A Killer Hook fits that theme just fine. An ice pick does not.

To be fair, hook is by far not the only translation for haken.
also, ice pick seems to be referring to an ice-axe.
And the German term for an ice-axe/ice-pick is eis haken.

Images of Ice-axe.

Images for Eishaken.

So KillerPick or Killer-Axe might be the most literal translations.
KillerHook loses the idea of it being a weaponized climbing tool and sounds more generic.

Also, all his weapons are not really all scythes as evidenced by the name of this weapon itself.
Remember the graphics are just a representation of what is described in text.
Not all of Crono's weapons are katanas, but they all look like it because they didn't have separate graphics for each weapon sub-type.

But, come to think of it, that would make for a pretty sick hack.
Having separate graphics for each weapon would look pretty slick.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 02:27:43 am by Vanya »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2017, 11:47:15 am »
Any plans to make this fixes (obviously the non-gametext ones) compatible with Chrono Trigger Retranslation?
I don't really know if that pocket of freespace is used by the retranslation or not.  I suppose I can give it a look after I'm done with the next update.

Quote from: Vanya
Also, all his weapons are not really all scythes as evidenced by the name of this weapon itself.
Remember the graphics are just a representation of what is described in text.
Not all of Crono's weapons are katanas, but they all look like it because they didn't have separate graphics for each weapon sub-type.

But, come to think of it, that would make for a pretty sick hack.
Having separate graphics for each weapon would look pretty slick.
In the end this is true, the most they do is change color.  Honestly Ice Sickle I think is the best when it comes to it's purpose.

I'm not really sure how far the graphical limits of CT can take that hack if you went off of the concept art alone.  That would be pretty awesome though.

Kiyoshi Aman

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2017, 01:19:03 pm »

But it's not a キラーアイスハーケン, it's a キラーハーケン. Not all hooks have to look like Mau's hook; for example, here's a climbing hook that could be a modern take on the artwork associated with the Killer Hook.

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2017, 01:23:46 pm »
Eh, I like Ice Sickle. It just sounds like the right kind of pun, it fits the picture, it fits the scenario, and sickle also means 'hook'.

Kiyoshi Aman

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2017, 01:25:41 pm »
Eh, I like Ice Sickle. It just sounds like the right kind of pun, it fits the picture, it fits the scenario, and sickle also means 'hook'.

Except it has absolutely nothing to do with ice. More than that, this is an uncensoring hack. C'mon, dood.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2017, 01:51:35 pm »
But it's not a キラーアイスハーケン, it's a キラーハーケン. Not all hooks have to look like Mau's hook; for example, here's a climbing hook that could be a modern take on the artwork associated with the Killer Hook.
Alright then, I'm sold.  I can see with the latter Magus extending the pole.  :P

We are talking about the (former) Enlightened Ones after all, and I would say that they knew how to make climbing hooks like that.  KillerHook looks like the best of the bunch I think; eishaken takes too much to put in anything else and the same with Ice-Axe.  As for Ice Sickle?  I like it but Kiyo is right, this is an uncensoring patch.  I'm not against anyone changing it over themselves if they wish.

November 24, 2017, 02:26:59 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Alright then, let's talk about Nizbel in the Tyrano Lair.  As you know, Nizbel II has some awkward speechifying before battle.  This is going to be fixed along with Nizbel II becoming Nizbel Plus.  "The great Nizbel was defeated here!" is strange whether or not Woolsey implied that Nizbel knew.  Should I...

A. Just replace the offending line with most likely what was meant.  "I, the great Nizbel, must be defeated first!"
B. Replace the "This is a special place" line too, something like this:

"Hold it!
You can't just walk through this special place!
You can reach Azala only by getting through me, the great Nizbel...who has just returned!"
B's a little on the long side it turns out... it doesn't quite look right.  A more shortened form of B might be the ticket.

Oh, and another thing... is Janus mentioned as a step-brother in anywhere else other than the SNES translation, like DS?  I'm not remembering it anywhere, but I'm checking just to make sure.

EDIT: Alright, one more thing.  Diva Flea and Ivory Edge (plus the Ioka Trading Post edits I forgot to do) were folded into the main patch.  Still don't know about Conductor.  Lightning Spire or Conductor Ralse

The flux files of Racing Fixes was also imported, but for some reason I didn't even need to edit the text back.  Wut.  But it's changed.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 09:04:18 pm by Chronosplit »

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2017, 10:54:00 pm »
But it's not a キラーアイスハーケン, it's a キラーハーケン.

And KI RA A A I SU HA A KE N doesn't fit within the character limits of the original game, but KI RA A HA A KE N does.
It isn't unheard of for Japanese game developers to shorten names to fit the available space constraints of their game.
Type in "haken" in google image and see how many images of a climbing hook you get.

Except it has absolutely nothing to do with ice. More than that, this is an uncensoring hack. C'mon, dood.

I don't see what censorship has to do with this.
"Hurricane" wasn't a case of censoring anything, it was just a really lazy localization.
While KillerHook is a perfectly valid translation, I do want to point out that the climbing hook you posted is in fact an ice-axe.
In fact if you look at the source article instead of just the picture, HERE, that is an ice-axe called Lightning Hook by its manufacturer.

Either way, it's ultimately Chronosplit's decision.
And like he said, if anyone really likes Ice Sickle that much, they can do the minor task of changing it themselves.

Edit:
For the sake of thorough research, I found that there was a precursor to the modern ice-axe called an Alpenstock.
If we assume that the Killer Haken is indeed a long handled ice-axe with an extra long pick, then it can be classified as a type of alpenstock.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 11:28:55 pm by Vanya »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2017, 11:32:40 pm »
As far as uncensoring weapons go most of it has surrendered to menu space than anything.  DoomFinger and Demon Hit just happen to be the right length and the best sounding.  I do agree that Hurricane is a bit slapdash though.  The way I see it, Ice Sickle is more like what would be put in by Woolsey (see: Big Hand), while KillerHook is more on the literal end.  That's one reason why I'm swaying both ways on this so much, they're both great.

Either way I've gone and updated the list.  I believe I'm at the point where no more new things are going to be introduced unless brought up to me.

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2017, 01:25:18 pm »
BTW, wouldn't Liberties be the sort of patch you could do 'Ice Sickle' with? It feels like the sort of thing you'd be using 'Woolsey-isms' for.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2017, 02:19:59 pm »
BTW, wouldn't Liberties be the sort of patch you could do 'Ice Sickle' with? It feels like the sort of thing you'd be using 'Woolsey-isms' for.
I was actually thinking of keeping the Hurricane change in Name Liberties in general, but I'm definitely on board with this idea since I'm migrating a couple to the main patch anyway.  Will do.  This gives the ability of choice like with Katana names.

Anyways, as you can see from the list there's not a whole lot left to do on it.  You may be seeing something come up but I'm not posting any dates (I've learned that saying "last one" or anything like that only means there are more).  However, talk of an update?  Sooner rather than later, as I got a big boost early on.

November 25, 2017, 07:03:30 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Let's talk patching formats.  Lately I've used UPS, but I've also been kicking around the ability to give a BPS patch out instead for those who'd rather soft patch (not to mention they're really small compared to the current UPS).  Now, to make soft patching a thing the Optional Patches probably need to go because less would be using them in that way.  So, how about I did a patching format like TWUE where it looks like this?

Bugfix Alone.bps
Bugfix+SkyDark.bps
Bugfix+Name Liberties.bps
Bugfix+Name Liberties and SkyDark.bps

Would this be worth it to anyone?

EDIT:
Mune: You were troubled!{full break}
Masa: Strength of will is a Hero's power.{full break}
Mune: Not atonement of your past sins.{full break}
Masa: Your will just now had true{line break}
strength!{null}

Welp, that's done (I wanted to keep all of those short lines one only, it makes things look better).  I don't really know if I captured their characterization right though, it's quite a bit changed from the original (The only other change outside of the without regrets comment is Frog remembering his speech pattern in one line and mind changed to will in another).
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 10:51:56 pm by Chronosplit »

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2017, 09:08:50 pm »
I'm perfectly fine with patches bundled up like that for the simple reason that it's a LOT less trouble to try and figure out where you screwed up in the patch sequence.

(Although if I recall right, you can only pick Rocket Fix -or- Johnny Rockets, not both at the same time.)

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2017, 09:22:51 pm »
I'm perfectly fine with patches bundled up like that for the simple reason that it's a LOT less trouble to try and figure out where you screwed up in the patch sequence.

(Although if I recall right, you can only pick Rocket Fix -or- Johnny Rockets, not both at the same time.)
Noted, that's how it'll be then!

Racing Fixes and Johnny Jackpot are incompatible due to event changes now, but I have done my best to insert Racing Fixes into the fold so you don't need to worry about it anymore.  :laugh:

November 26, 2017, 11:06:18 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Hey folks, there's a pre-release in the MEGA Mirror.  You read right, that's over 600kbs now.  There is a LOT to this whole thing, so if you see anything wrong report it.

Current bugs is... none for now, all fixed.

November 27, 2017, 12:41:31 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Recent stuff since the above post:
-A typo in a hex editor caused battles to freeze at some point, it's been fixed.
-Dalton was allcaps in Enemy battle messages.
-Fixed the carpenter trainee still mentioning a cafe.
-Umbral Embrace wasn't completely typed out.
-Updated some inconsistencies in the End of Time; a couple times with Frog for speech patterns (also "thee art"), but mainly mentions of the future weren't exactly consistent.
-Removed a joke in the party scene with Lucca in the second yes/no choice (sorry Axiphel, I may revisit this later though, the one there just sounded not quite in the right direction to me).

Actually I think we're almost clear for uploading to RHDN.  If no bug reports happen in a few days, I'll hop to it.  Actually, I think we're ready.  Give me a bit.

December 01, 2017, 02:39:37 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Update's in the queue, and is already in the MEGA.

-Fixed Guardia Castle Throneroom in the present.
-Updated Luminare's description.
-Updated description strings for Skydark.
-Colored Mail>Plates in Name Liberties.
-Put in Ayla's breastfeeding reference.
-A couple of other small things.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 03:05:22 pm by Chronosplit »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2017, 02:09:20 pm »
Small update in the Mega, I may or may not wait until next year to upload it to RHDN when I could have some other stuff bundled in (still got an eye on Demon Hit).  I kinda promised myself to wait until next year, but I figured out the whole deal behind weapon descriptions:

-After combing through Itemizer and weapon translations, I've found that BraveSword doesn't work as the description says because it was the wrong description.  Let me explain: weapon descriptions tend to run duplicates of others, for example if one is just {null} all blank ones just have {dup hexcode} tag to copy that instead of using another 00 for it.  The thing is that BraveSword's description is in it's slot and Demon Hit/the new Masamune copy from it.  As for the item properties, BraveSword's status is just like any normal weapon therefore it should instead be that Demon Hit only uses it's own description.  So now, Demon Hit has the right description and BraveSword is blank as it should be.
-Speaking of Masamune, it's actually supposed to have it's own special description due to it being important.  It's not much, just a "Melchior forged this thing."  Possibly as a bug, the powered one copied from Demon Hit when it probably would have most likely copied from the original Masamune.  So both Masamunes have a description now.  I may add a "powered up" description on the new one later.
-Other than that, actually there are no other special tidbits to be added to item descriptions.  So outside of things like fixing capitalizations or clarification from now on I'll be leaving those alone (for now, at least).

This has been uploaded to the MEGA.  There are also a couple of other small things like Taban being mentioned as a blacksmith.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 05:52:39 pm by Chronosplit »

Mauron

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2017, 02:44:30 pm »
The Third Eye actually applies a 2.5x multiplier to evade, not 2x. This effect works properly in battle, but the menu has different code to display the effect, which matches the item description.

See if Temporal Flux's Custom Data option will let you claim 0x2FFF1-0x2FFFF with Override Free Space set to true. I can get a small fix in there that will get the menu code closer to accurate.
Mauron wuz here.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2017, 04:05:42 pm »
The Third Eye actually applies a 2.5x multiplier to evade, not 2x. This effect works properly in battle, but the menu has different code to display the effect, which matches the item description.

See if Temporal Flux's Custom Data option will let you claim 0x2FFF1-0x2FFFF with Override Free Space set to true. I can get a small fix in there that will get the menu code closer to accurate.
I seem to be able to.  It gave me a warning but saved alright.

Mauron

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2017, 04:32:51 pm »
Actually, it looks like that range is not 100% confirmed as junk. It's probably usable, but I can't guarantee anything. Try 0x27FF1-0x27FFF and 0x2FEDE-0x2FEEC. If both give the "warning - space is in use" message, we'll have other options. I only need one of those ranges to work.
Mauron wuz here.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2017, 05:27:59 pm »
Actually, it looks like that range is not 100% confirmed as junk. It's probably usable, but I can't guarantee anything. Try 0x27FF1-0x27FFF and 0x2FEDE-0x2FEEC. If both give the "warning - space is in use" message, we'll have other options. I only need one of those ranges to work.
I'm not getting a warning about either so far.

Mauron

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2017, 05:50:44 pm »
You can remove the 0x27FF1-0x27FFF range.

At 0x2FEDE, put the following: AD 21 9B 4A 0E 21 9B 18 6D 21 9B 8D 21 9B 60

At 0x29144, 0x2A5F4, and 0x2E197, put 20 DE FE

This covers both the normal menu equipment screen and the shop version. I don't think anything else displays Evade.
Mauron wuz here.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2017, 06:51:50 pm »
Everything seems to be in order and working.  Uploaded to the Mega if anyone wants a gander.

Thanks a lot!

Other things I'm looking at:

-Prehistory>Prehistoric (Because when you get down to it, the Epoch's time list says Prehistoric and I'm much more inclined to just remove the hyphen for what was already there than edit the time list.)
-Demon Hit>Demonbane (Hit sounds silly, there's not enough room for Killer/Slayer, Demon Edge is taken, and this fits the name length.  No intended reference to giant robots intended but I may have pulled that out of Nethack.  Now Dethblyd, that would be a reference no one would get.)
-Smite Edge>EvilSlayer (Smite was a good compromise, buuuuuuuut this fits the length and is more correct.  We talked about getting the censors out earlier and this works more for it.)

EDIT: Aaaaaand submitted to RHDN.  I find that this update is big enough to haul it in.

December 18, 2017, 05:16:02 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
While revising the readme I decided to stick a fitting "powered up" description on the second Masamune, as they actually do differ in the japanese version.  I got to reference the hero's will thing at least.  Up and submitted.

If this isn't the last update of the year something's wrong elsewhere, so Happy Holidays RHDN!

EDIT: Hold on, there's a small bug... seems to have ate into the third eye fix.  Dealing with that now. Temporal Flux and the patches have been corrected.  That was my fault.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 06:42:13 pm by Chronosplit »