News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Chrono Trigger Bugfix and Uncensoring Patch  (Read 69322 times)

Chronosplit

• View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger Bugfix and Uncensoring Patch
« Reply #120 on: May 18, 2018, 05:01:13 pm »
It's working, but sluffy's .bps canoe patch that you converted to an .ips patch for some reason reverts the sky/dark menu icons back to lightning/shadow while using your Bugfix+SkyDark and Name Liberties patch.

Both the .ips and .bps canoe patches change your game from a ExHiROM to ExLoROM + S-DD1 so it plays in Canoe, just that issue with the menu icons when using your patch with the .ips Canoe patch you uploaded.
Strange.  Basically what I did was patch the original intended version, and make it out of an unpatched version of that.  Same way of creating any IPS.  There shouldn't be any graphics carried over I think, but there may be a way of finding a remedy.

Take the DarkSky patch out from Chrono Compendium's hard pack here, and use it on the canoe patched version.  Tell me what you get: https://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Retranslation.html
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 05:10:22 pm by Chronosplit »

teahouser

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 18, 2018, 05:41:45 pm »
I applied the Dark_Sky patch onto the rom that has already been patched by your Bugfix+SkyDark+liberties and the Canoe IPS patch you made. The icons still remain lightning/shadow.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 18, 2018, 06:40:26 pm »
Welp, I'm out of ideas.  I'll ask around, but in the meantime the other patches should play nice with it.

pimpinelephant

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 18, 2018, 10:33:33 pm »
Hey Chronosplit, I went ahead and made a .bps patch for use with your new BugFix+SkyDark+NameLiberties patch.
The S-DD1 conversion creates some duplicate banks, which was causing the Sky/Dark to still be Lightning/Shadow, so I applied the changes from your new patch into all of the respective banks for the Canoe Fix version.

Updated .bps patch of ctfix_1a:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/0phv7r

By the way, just want to say that I'm a huge fan of your work!

P.S. GIVE US OLD ENGLISH IN MIDDLE AGES!!!
Only joking of course! :laugh:
I really do enjoy your patch!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 08:50:43 am by pimpinelephant »

sluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 18, 2018, 11:02:56 pm »
Good catch about duplicate banks; that was needed to get around some mapping issues.

Something I noticed is that using beat v01, I can apply ctfix_1a to "bugfix only". Even though bps says failed, output rom is perfectly okay and working with bsnes. Tried with older and newer bugfix patches.

teahouser

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 19, 2018, 01:25:09 am »
Something I noticed is that using beat v01, I can apply ctfix_1a to "bugfix only". Even though bps says failed, output rom is perfectly okay and working with bsnes. Tried with older and newer bugfix patches.

Sluffy I had the exact same thing happen while patching using beat v01. I applied chronosplits patch, then after adding yours it says that the patch could not be applied, but it saves and ends up being perfectly patched, I thought it was weird.

pimpinelephant

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 19, 2018, 02:53:14 am »
Huh, that is actually really weird, because I just tried patching the original ctfix_1a.bps to "BugFix Alone" (both new and old) with Floating IPS and both times it gave me an error and did not create a patched ROM.

Possibly a bug with beat v01?

Kiyoshi Aman

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #127 on: May 19, 2018, 04:10:11 am »
I'd recommend trying a different BPS patcher, such as the excellent RomPatcher.js (which RHDN is investigating hosting a copy of).

teahouser

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 19, 2018, 04:32:18 am »
Huh, that is actually really weird, because I just tried patching the original ctfix_1a.bps to "BugFix Alone" (both new and old) with Floating IPS and both times it gave me an error and did not create a patched ROM.

Possibly a bug with beat v01?

Yeah the surprising part is how it actually does apply the patch and saves it. This only happened to me when using the older ct_fix1a.bps with chronosplit's newest patch. When I used your ct_fix1a(update).bps pimpinelephant I didn't get any error message with beat this time, and it works great good work man.

pimpinelephant

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 19, 2018, 05:36:38 am »
Yeah the surprising part is how it actually does apply the patch and saves it. This only happened to me when using the older ct_fix1a.bps with chronosplit's newest patch. When I used your ct_fix1a(update).bps pimpinelephant I didn't get any error message with beat this time, and it works great good work man.

Yeah, I think it's got to be some sort of bug with beat v01 or maybe the checksum is somehow matching? I have no clue.

All credit goes to the amazing, brilliant, sensational, jaw-dropping, rest-of-the-thesaurus-for-amazing Sluffy!
I just made the fix compatible with the new patch is all. :)

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 19, 2018, 10:06:33 am »
Hey Chronosplit, I went ahead and made a .bps patch for use with your new BugFix+SkyDark+NameLiberties patch.
The S-DD1 conversion creates some duplicate banks, which was causing the Sky/Dark to still be Lightning/Shadow, so I applied the changes from your new patch into all of the respective banks for the Canoe Fix version.

Updated .bps patch of ctfix_1a:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/0phv7r

By the way, just want to say that I'm a huge fan of your work!

P.S. GIVE US OLD ENGLISH IN MIDDLE AGES!!!
Only joking of course! :laugh:
I really do enjoy your patch!
All right, thank you veeeery much, I appreciate this a lot! :D

Mega's readme is now updated with the new link (hope staff doesn't mind a new submission).  I also just realized that I never stuck a link in the OP, so up it goes!

About the compatibility, I actually had no idea that the older patch had a way of working with another.  I use FLIPS to make and apply patches, so I always just get a "this patch is not intended for this ROM" message and it doesn't go through with it.

teahouser

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 22, 2018, 03:56:44 am »
Hey Chronosplit, I've played through a new game+ with your latest release + sluffy's canoe patch and everything no bugs to report!

I found a couple minor text mistakes this playthrough:
-Trading Hut: The caveman on the left who tells you what is available still shows Saint Bow instead of Shaman Bow.
-Rainbow Helm: Still says cuts "Lightning" hits by 50% instead of "Sky"
-Power Seal: description is Power+5 Stam+5, but it should be Power+10 Stam+10 since the Power Seal raises each stat by 10 not 5 in menu.
-Third Eye: Description says 2x evade but the stat actually raises by 2.5x . Noticed Mauron posted about this a few pages back, not sure if the description should read 2.5x or should the menu stat be lower?
 Mauron: "The Third Eye actually applies a 2.5x multiplier to evade, not 2x. This effect works properly in battle, but the menu has different code to display the effect, which matches the item description."

I was wondering why the change from Lightning and Lightning2 techs into Thunder and Thunder2 for SkyDark patch? I thought Lightning and Lightning2 worked well with the Sky element, since Lightning was no longer the element name, it doesn't clash with the tech naming. For accuracy sake, Lightning is the actual electricity itself while thunder is just the sound it makes, so I feel an electric attack name that Lightning works better than Thunder here. It just feels like something that didn't need to be changed, and would be better suited as an add-on option.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 11:04:00 am by teahouser »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 22, 2018, 11:40:25 am »
I'll be looking into these, thanks!  Since this is all with SkyDark and the element graphic bug has been fixed, I should be able to update the canoe fix to work at the same time like I do with Liberties Extended (for real this time).  I've never tested if TF can read the converted ROM, but I can get around that if so.

EDIT: That would be a no, but I believe that I can easily update that end through other means.  No problem!

Third Eye should be matching with the description across the board, if memory serves me.  I'll look into the hex editor to make sure everything is intact though, TF might have edited where it shouldn't have, but considering there's no crashing in battle I believe it's holding true.

OK, the Thunder thing.  Woosley basically made the spell names match the element in this case.  Before I changed those names I had left Lightning in in descriptions, because originally it was well... Lightning.  I do see your point and I can definitely revert this however, no problem.

About the add-on, one that does both that and the suffixes is not a bad idea.  I'd have to make a patch for each version though, because of the minute differences in that area between them (they'd most likely be very small so it's more of a tedium thing).  I'll give it some thought.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 01:24:05 pm by Chronosplit »

teahouser

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 22, 2018, 12:24:47 pm »
Sounds good, I'll be around for testing whenever you need it. If you need a hand at all editing the canoe patch, I'm sure pimpinelephant would be glad to lend a hand, he's who edited sluffy's patch to work with your latest release.

Your attention to detail really makes this version of CT standout from the crowd, very enjoyable playthough.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 22, 2018, 01:55:13 pm »
Alright, the Mega's been updated.  RHDN won't be updated so quickly, I'm going to actually try that add-on suggestion later on and we want to make sure the canoe fix has been updated.

New Canoe Fix can be found here, here's hoping it works but it applies right.  Making this honestly isn't so bad now; basically I just made a 1KB IPS between old and updated SkyDark+Bugfixes, applied that to one patched with the canoe fix, and remade the BPS: https://mega.nz/#!XIkRxI7A!Tix4E8cymFR71O3WeGo8sRPryTxaSUj0IdeZpMXFBY4 Nope.

Changelist:

All patches:
-Corrected Power Seal's description.

SkyDark patches:
-Fixed some descriptions still having Shadow/Lightning
-Thunder/Thunder 2 reverted to the original Tech names.

SkyDark+Name Liberties:
-Corrected Saint Bow mention.

Liberties Extended add-ons:
-YashaBlade>Yaksha
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 04:15:57 pm by Chronosplit »

Mauron

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 22, 2018, 02:00:40 pm »
My change made the menu effect match the existing effect in battle. I believe I stuck that one in space that Temporal Flux ignores (16 bytes near the beginning of the ROM).
Mauron wuz here.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 22, 2018, 02:02:53 pm »
My change made the menu effect match the existing effect in battle. I believe I stuck that one in space that Temporal Flux ignores (16 bytes near the beginning of the ROM).
I made a quick check, I believe everything's still working as it should be after the fix.  :thumbsup:

teahouser

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 22, 2018, 02:21:51 pm »
Tested in Canoe and none of the changes have carried over unfortunately.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 22, 2018, 02:26:37 pm »
Tested in Canoe and none of the changes have carried over unfortunately.
Well, shoot.  At least I tried while I was at it, I'll go send a PM then.

In the meantime, I'll be tending to addons.  Nothing edited will effect what the canoe fix will touch, so it's still prime for updating that patch.

EDIT: Ooookay, I'm going to say no to making an original spell names/suffixes patch.  The reason because of this is because:

a) Though small, this would entail a total of 6 new patches remade each time an update is made.  As you can imagine, this may get confusing quick.
b) Dual techs pose a problem.  Though the usage of these names are few, limits do present themselves in a way that can get hairy.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 03:45:28 pm by Chronosplit »

pimpinelephant

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 23, 2018, 03:11:25 am »
ctfix_1a (update2) .bps patch
https://www.sendspace.com/file/64boff

I haven't tested this myself yet, so will require confirmation that all of the changes have been applied. Hopefully I got them all.

And no worries at all, always happy to help out. :)

The mapping is different since it's S-DD1, so the changes need to be applied in different areas compared to ExHiROM.
Not too difficult though, I just used Translhextion to get a nice list of differences between ROMs, and then used HxD (any editor will do) to find and replace.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 02:20:00 am by pimpinelephant »