News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

SimCity+ SNES

Started by FireBrandWhip, May 19, 2022, 10:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FireBrandWhip

At long last, we're working on the Super Nintendo SimCity and figuring that stuff out, booyah!

There are more things I would like to add but for now this will do I will post more hexadecimal offsets as I discover them. Anybody is willing to comment of course or add any input or codes you have discovered or unlocked let's get this stuff figured out so that we can document it and update the Data Crystal! 

First let me say that it's been a number of years that I've been doing ROM hacking and it's been awhile so my skills are a bit Rusty. Also I'm well aware of the NES SimCity stuff that is out there I am not sure if those are the same codes as we are working on the SNES version and unlocking that stuff so better editors can be figured out and developed. Lots of people have been interested in this kind of project for some time myself included.

However without further ado let's get the project details aligned here: 

In SHORT:

* Figure out the SimCity internal working code & expand upon some of the capabilities.
    New Graphics, Sounds, BGM, Menus, Scenarios, etc.

* Add a debug options shortcut to the main screen where it says 'Press Start.'
    Also, add some extra options to the debug screen. 

*Debug bulldozer displaying on screen coordinates/hex address for each tile in the city that is highlighted by the "bulldoze-tile."

* Expand the total number of 'internal save slots by two or more and double the amount of total scenarios... 

* Build a Scenario Editor (internal in the ROM)... Because simply put the scenarios are that simple in this game we do not need an external editor.

* Scenario length duration which city slot to load for the scenario. 

* Increase city name size to 16 characters. 

* Speed up the game's processing Time (so we can have...:)
  * MAPS: Random Generator(add park_grassy, park_trees, etc.) randomly generate in maps.

CUSTOMIZATION:

*Very Easy Mode (start with $40k)

*Disable plane crashes no matter what even when disasters are off. This can finally go away yay! 

*Buildings very high in crime should have almost a shady tint to them. Think of a hospital with almost murky chernobyl-like tint to it. O.o 

*Allow power lines roads and rails to be overlapped over water. This of course will allow and require us to expand and add new graphical tiles. 

*Speaking of graphical tiles... Allow a setting screen where you can choose your team colors for the football stadium where you can adjust the pallet of the audience and the cars outside. The "locomotive/train" should also reflect the Team Colors!  As an added bonus when you get a train station that locomotive should actually be two cars long instead of just one and move slightly faster...

* Large Parks (Large Park max 12(from 3), with 100 required Parks for gift(down from 300)
  ...as well as 'other new gifts', CityHall, Botanical Garden, Baseball Stadium, "Skyscraper", Mall, Domed Arcology, etc.

* Park tiles should be replaced with a menu: Park_grassy($10),Park_Tree(10),Water($50), Sandy/rocky_tiles(10)...,hilly_tile[right,left](100),etc.

Unlike Parks(default), other parks should have a slight higher land value..., than park_grassy & park_tree

Sandy/rocky_tiles: Rubble graphics (but with a different palette so that) it is known that there's a difference in land value than just rubble.

hilly_tile[right,left]: Giving the representation of 'height on a flat map.'

Also being able to develop shorelines and have a grassy shoreline or Sandy shoreline (which would be different than undeveloped shorelines) for those who like to detail their maps...

With these different kinds of parks we can make some really Kick-A$$ maps.

*NTNL PARK & NTNL MNMT
  National Park and national monuments(should boost land value overall), as well as City Hall with a population of 50,000(would increase commerce and residential.)
  City Hall should be the same tile dimensions size as the other gifts, but the Nationals should be the size of a stadium... With the abbreviated truncated/shortened names('NTNL PARK' in the bottom left corner of the graphic.

Botanical garden...from NES version. After placing maximum Parks the very last Park will be this.

Mall 20,000 population there will be some kind of mini game available here probably ol' school 'asteroids' or something like that... Using SimCity graphics.

Skyscraper... A large Tower the tile grid size of a football stadium... Purpose is to boost/increase population density and land value... It will have the glowy letters "METRO" blinking on the top.

The domed archeology will probably be something from a "neighboring video game." Boost population density and is almost considered a city within itself. When population reaches 250, 000 and the year is later than 2050.

If somebody would like to come up with graphics for these that would be awesome! 

* Boat path tiles (these exist but invisible) I did not know that until recently I thought the boat just randomly flowed through the oceans. :p  SO: ADD a 'builder mode' to be able to edit those as well as be able to add/edit the airplane path for that (so they can leave the city and or/land).

This could be done by just making a layer that allows you to paint the tiles where they are at and we could use a simple color highlight for them. ... Or have the game Auto build with an algorithm to between seaports as they are placed. (this could be used for Tornado Disaster generation as well)

*Sound:
  Replace the annoying Dr. Wright traffic warning with the "This is Simcopter one reporting heavy traffic!" sound from SimCity 2000. If the simcopter report is stacked 10 times then the Dr. Wright message will appear.   

* Nuclear waste should be bulldozable for $5,000.   
   (Highlighting tiles should display how much($) it is to Bulldoze that particular tile)

PLACEHOLDERS & DETAILS:

7E2000 x screen coordinate for the cursor
7E2001 y screen coordinate for the cursor

7E2004 X build location cursor.
7E2005 Y build location cursor.

7E2008 X build location cursor thickness in tiles.
7E2005 Y build location cursor thickness in tiles.

Not sure what the difference between 4&5 and C&D are.
7E200C X build location cursor.
7E200D Y build location cursor.

Large_Park decode the conditions for requiring 300 parks to generate the gift large Park.(max 3) 

7E0E23 clock timer update this variable loops through a series of variables in a table 7EOC97 is one of them.  7EOC97 counter for 300 parks. Gets weird after 250 or so to 300 but still counts towards the next large park at 600.  $03/83DC 8D 97 0C STA $OC97 [$03:0C97] A:011C X:5DC0 Y: 0000 P:envmxdizc 

Of course accumulator 11C is 284 which is how many small Parks I had built at the time. 

7EOB4D how many large Parks the player has acquired thus far (up to 3) 

When about to get the large Park:
  $00/94FD AC 4D 0B LDY $OB4D [$00:0B4D] A:0000 X:0200 Y: 0020 P:envMxdiZC 

I set a breakpoint.
  When about to highlight the gift menu:
  $03/809D CD 4D 0B CMP $OB4D [$00:0B4D] A:0000 X:0000 Y: 0003 P:envMxdiZC 
  $03/80A2 8D 4D 0B STA $OB4D [$03:0B4D] A:0000 X:0000 Y: 0003 P:envMxdiZC 

I presume the compare and store accumulator is shifting the data to another pointer I'm still a bit Rusty on this (so if somebody can help explain that a bit better.) 

After placing one large park:
  $03/B06F 86 16 STX $16 [$00:1EFD] A:0001 X:1D0A Y: 0000 P:envMxdiZC 
  Some frames after adjusting breakpoints:
  $03/809D CD 4D 0B CMP $04BD [$03:04BD] A:0002 X:0000 Y: 0009 P:envMxdiZC 
  Some frames after adjusting breakpoints: $03/80A2 8D 4D 0B STA $04BD [$03:04BD] A:0002 X:0000 Y: 0009 P:envMxdiZC 

030B4D with accumulator value to this *might be* the total allowed parks...   

7E0B57 game difficulty setting. 

7E0079 clocktick_timer (for disaster/other events??) 
  7E0E23 clocktick_timer checklist loops through various things checks for various counters to see if it should give you a gift or not. 

COUNTERS(EVENT CHECKS)
  7E0C97 counter for 300 parks used in clock tick_timer   

7E00B9 0 or 1 (random number generator) this might be an accumulative clock update it pauses to 0 when moving around the screen by holding the y button. Setting this to 0 or 1 seems to affect which stadium you have a ***higher chance of getting*** (0 open top, 1 domed.) 

What to build.
  7E02AB
  7E020D
  7E01E1
  7E01DD

All four of these are linked by pointer array[] or something else,... not sure why CoalPwrPlant is different same as Airport. Gift slot #1was large_park at the time of tracing so other gifts in slot *may* differ. 

Format(7E02AB,7E020D,7E01E1,7E01DD)
  Bulldozer(0,0,0,0)
  Road(1,1,1,1)
  Rails(2,2,2,2)
  Lines(3,3,3,3)
  Park(4,4,4,4)
  RZone(5,5,5,5)
  CZone(6,6,6,6)
  IZone(7,7,7,7)
  PD(8,8,8,8)
  FD(9,9,9,9)
  Stadium(10,10,10,10)
  Seaport(11,11,11,11)
  CoalPwrPlant(14,14,14,12)
  NuclearPlant(13,13,13,13)
  Airport (12,12,12,14)
  GiftSlot1 (15,15,12,15)
  GiftSlot2
  GiftSlot3
  GiftSlot4 

When loading/not loading the Toolbar (menu icons at the top of the screen)
  7E206F = xx
  7E206B = xx
  7E2067 = xx
  7E2063 = xx 

49 = not loaded map edit mode
  50 = disasters menu
  52 = speed, option, information, and load/save 

Changing the disasters and the disaster menu changes 50 to 52 so it might have something to do with load access memory...  Also might queue up 7E0079 clock tick timer check... 

(Listed again):
  7E0079 clocktick_timer (for disaster/other events??)
  Default is 192 adding a disaster in the disasters menu or multiple changes it to 128. 
  Which disasters are loaded and highlighted in the disasters menu. 

7E0197 = xxxx 
  By itself: Fire=1,Flood=2 Airplane Crash=4,Tornado=8, Quake=16, Bowser=32

Stacking each adds each value for instance Fire and Bowser=33, All Six=63. 

With these figured out(and the values listed below) we could make a scenario editor, built into the ROM.

xxxxxx = CityName 
  xxxxxx = Catagory(0 Village, 1 Town, 2 City, 3 Capitol, 4 Metropolis, 5 Megalopolis) 
  xxxxxx = Year(xxxx) , 2bytes
  xxxxxx = Month (JAN~DEC)
  xxxxxx = Tax rate 
  xxxxxx = $ 
  xxxxxx = Mode (? practice,? scenario, 2 = Regular)
  xxxxxx = Type (is scenario ongoing? 7 = Normal Map)
  xxxxxx = Scenario Duration
  xxxxxx = Founded(year)
  xxxxxx = Founded(month)   
  xxxxxx - xxxxxx = Events(10 events)

Maps(~)
  Graphs(~)

Evaluation(public opinion, statistics)

TOTALS: (order on City Overview Screen)

7E0C95 Schools
  7E0C93 Hospitals
  7E0C87 Stadium
  7E0C89 FireStation
  7E0C8B PoliceStation
  7E0C8F Airports
  7E0C91 Seaports
  7E0C85 PowerPlants
  7E0Cxx Etc.

(2bytes ??)
  7E0C97 Park Area
  xxxxxx Park %

xxxxxx Forest Area
  xxxxxx Forest %

xxxxxx Openland Area
  xxxxxx Openland %

xxxxxx Water Area
  xxxxxx Water %

Disaster: (those are 'roughly the outlined variables involved)
  Fire: x, y, size 
  Flood: x, y, intensity
  Airplane Crash: x, y   
  Tornado: x,y, intensity, length, path 
  Quake: epicenter, intensity, damage_distribution
  Bowser: graphic_used, x,y, path, duration 
  Aliens: x,y, duration, waves[] 
  Meltdown: conditions, intensity, damage_distribution 

Lesser known:
  TrainWreck: conditions, size 
  Shipwreck: conditions, size

Shipwrecks can be 'forced' if you build roads/rails 1 tile near the edge of the map where the boat is trying to spawn. I've seen TrainWreck occur(it exists!), not sure what the condition are though.

Music:
BGM tracks
Instruments for each track.
Note 🎵 data for Music.

Dev 0.1 of this project:
  I have updated easy difficult thing to start with 40,000 as a game genie code and patched it so that it is permanent however I am having difficulty finding where the $20,000 text is loaded so I can change it to 40,000... Most particularly the very small text of "20000" seems to not be in the graphics at all.(might be compressed...but WHY if the other graphics aren't??)  It will be better to add a (seperate) 'very easy setting' to that menu list and add 40,000 as the starting.

PLACEHOLDER for IPS files/link: <here>  (.IPS will be available someday!!)

May 24, 2022, 05:30:45 PM - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

I got the image made for hilly_tile_facing_right.

https://ibb.co/Ttx4ShY

Well probably just replace parks for now until I can separate Park into grassy_Park and tree_Park(and add hilly_Park[right, left]
As well as a small menu when you click on Parks to choose which one you want to place.

This (listed above in the project description) will allow us to have the illusion of height on a tile map.

Leviathan Mist

This certainly is an ambitious project! I've got this thread bookmarked to track progress. Look forward to seeing this come to fruition.

blueskirt

D: !!!!!!!!

Thank you! Thank you so much... Ç _ Ç

I fired up SimCity once more during the last xmas vacations, and everytime it's the same thing: I spend the first hour planning the optimal/ideal layout for my city, and, as soon the heavy thinking is done and all I have to do is wait for the taxes to get collected to expand the city one block at a time, my brain gets in that dreamy mood of:

"Oh, this could be improved..."
"I wish they had done this..."
"I wish you could do that..."
"Wouldn't it be great if..."

Every single time.

Features and bugfixes I would love to see in SimCity

1 - First of all, a fix for the infamous reload exodus. That thing is so annoying.

2 - I also noticed a strange bug during my playthroughs: when you are presented with the budget screen at the end of every year, if you don't press a button to approve the budget, after a while the budget screen will time out and the game will go back to the city view, your funds however will not be updated, meaning you won't collect tax money for that year.

3 - Gifts should be refunded when you bulldoze them or when they get destroyed. Not from a monetary point of view, but they should return in your inventory, allowing you to rebuild them elsewhere. One thing I noticed when I build megalopolises is that I tend to hoard my gifts in my inventory for most of the game, and I build them only when my city is its final stage to maximize land value. From a gameplay point of view, it would make more sense to allow the player to relocate the gifts once they have been built, not only because every other buildings can be relocated when you redesign your city (granted you need to purchase them a second time) but SimCity effectively punishes players who builds gifts early, which goes against the philosophy behind gifts.

4 - Speaking of gifts, the Gifts menu is ill-equipped when you are hoarding them in your inventory. (IIRC you can only see a maximum of nine or twelve gifts, and to see the newer gifts, you must build the older ones) I am sure there is a better way to handle that menu, maybe a bigger menu where you could see all the possible gifts (but stacked instead of individually listed) and how many of each remains in your inventory.

5 - I would also like to have an ingame layer that can be toggled on and off, that shows the 4x4 grid pattern that one must master and make use of in order to maximize land value or the coverage of police stations. I would play SimCity a lot more often if I could plan my cities directly inside the game, instead of having to rely on quad sheet paper or an Excel sheet with colored squares to keep track of where my roads and buildings are on the 4x4 grid pattern.

6 - You did mention the possibility of new BGMs and menus, if you can, I would really like an ingame jukebox, where you can change the music tracks, because the Village and Town themes are quite calm and moody, but you don't get to appreciate them at all because your city enters the next stages super fast early on. Similarly, it's pretty easy to get fed up with the Metropolis theme later on because it takes so long to go from 100k to 500k citizens.

QuoteExpand the total number of 'internal save slots by two or more

7 - Yes, it pained me that I had to delete my first Megalopolis when I started playing the scenarios. I understand the limitations of the early SNES cartridges, but having only two save slots isn't enough.

8 - It's a far shot, but mouse support would be great. Even if personally I'll keep using a gamepad simply because it is easier to lay down roads and buildings in straight lines or grids with a gamepad, but if someone wants to play the game with a mouse, more power to them. Altho I recognize that could be very complicated to implement.

9 - A random map generator with various sliders and options (island, river, coastline...) and a map editor where you can plop individual squares of land, water and forest. Bonus points if there is a way to share maps between players by entering a seed upon map generation.

QuoteDouble the amount of total scenarios...

10 - Yes please! I wish they included the Dullsville and Hamburg scenarios (just change the year and replace the WW2 bombing with an alien attack), but the more scenarios there is to challenge the player, the better IMO. Doubling the number of scenarios, that would be amazing.

QuoteBuild a Scenario Editor (internal in the ROM)... Because simply put the scenarios are that simple in this game we do not need an external editor.

11 - Ooohhh... That would be sweet! Heck, if scenarios aren't too big in term of filesize, additional community made scenarios could be included in future patches.

12 - The possibility to turn off specific Dr Wright messages, personally I'd like to keep the disasters, gifts, and milestones messages, but ignore the traffic, crime, and pollution ones.

Features that are straight up SimCity+

(By that I mean: the game's mechanics stay the same for the most part, but a few more options are added.)

Quote* Nuclear waste should be bulldozable for $5,000.
   (Highlighting tiles should display how much($) it is to Bulldoze that particular tile)

That, but also terraforming options: being able to dig or fill lakes and rivers, and also reforest area.

Quote* Park tiles should be replaced with a menu: Park_grassy($10),Park_Tree(10),Water($50), Sandy/rocky_tiles(10)...,hilly_tile[right,left](100),etc.

Unlike Parks(default), other parks should have a slight higher land value..., than park_grassy & park_tree

Sandy/rocky_tiles: Rubble graphics (but with a different palette so that) it is known that there's a difference in land value than just rubble.

hilly_tile[right,left]: Giving the representation of 'height on a flat map.'

Also being able to develop shorelines and have a grassy shoreline or Sandy shoreline (which would be different than undeveloped shorelines) for those who like to detail their maps...

With these different kinds of parks we can make some really Kick-A$$ maps.

I like that, it's simple but the ability to design parks, forests, lakes, and beaches would add a lot of flavor to a city. It could be pushed a bit further too: if a park tile is located within a certain radius of a road or building tile, there could be a chance that depending on the season, time of day, or weather, you might see little animated pixels representing kids playing in the park, towels and parasols on the beach, campers and firecamps in forested area, snowmen during winter...

Also, that night palette you posted in the other thread is quite a find. It would be amazing if it could be implemented like:

December - Winter season, daytime
January - Winter season, nighttime
February - Winter season, daytime

March - Spring season, daytime
April - Spring season, nighttime
May - Spring season, daytime

June - Summer season, daytime
July - Summer season, nighttime
August - Summer season, daytime

September - Autumn, daytime
October - Autumn, nighttime
November - Autumn, daytime

Throw in car lights, street lights, and traffic lights on the roads, illuminated windows on the buildings, billboards and neon lights, fireworks on July and January... and it sure would be a sight to see.

Quote*Buildings very high in crime should have almost a shady tint to them.

Haha! The wrong side of the tracks! I like that! :D

And you could do the same for pollution too. For instance, sea tiles located next to heavy industries could have a darker, purple-ish tint to it, residential buildings could be gray rather than golden brown, etc.

New gift idea: City hall and courthouse. And make them so they increase or decrease the land value of the neighborhood, depending on the mayor's approval ratings. The same mechanic should also apply to the Mayor's House.

The holy grail: SimCity++ AKA actually changing the game rules

That's another thing I cannot help myself with whenever I day dream while playing SimCity: What if SimCity took a page or two from its sequels?

What if schools and hospitals weren't just useless buildings that players removed in order to make more space for residential buildings?

What if you actually had to take care of the education and healthcare of your citizens just as you must take care of crime, pollution, and traffic?

As your city grows bigger, so would demands for colleges and universities. What if having highly educated citizens for several decades in a row had the side effect of unlocking cleaner technologies and cleaner industries?

What if you had to manage the happiness of your citizens? (By building big parks, country/golf clubs, little league stadiums, zoos, marinas, museums, libraries, casinos, amusement parks, places of worship, cemeteries...)

I must say that, as I lay down mazes of nothing but railroads from coast to coast in my cities, I often reflect on what kind of life my citizens have:
How would it feel to take the train every single day?
How do my citizens move their furnitures from one flat to another?
How do goods get delivered from factories to grocery and hardware stores?
How do firefighters, police officers, or ambulances move around my city?
Etc.

What if roads and railroads could coexist on the same tile via a sky train?

What if there was a use for both types of roads in SimCity?

What if roads were just as viable a strategy for transportation as railroads were? What if there was a way to reduce the effect of traffic by building bus stations and parking garages?

What if there were different tiers of roads? (From gravel roads, to small streets, to roads, to avenues, to highways...)

When you reduce the funding on transportation, what if, instead of having road and railroad tiles disappear instantly, what if the tiles degraded slowly, and you had a chance to fix the roads/rails (at a fraction of the cost) before the tiles were gone for good?

What if you actually had to power your airport and seaport for them to function properly? (IIRC some of the buildings do not need power to give you their benefits, and powering them only serve to increase pollution, crime, traffic, or plane crashes)

Without going anal with the pipes and subterranean layer, what if you had to deal with sanitation? With sewage and water processing plants, garbage dumps, incinerators, recycling centers, water towers?

What if, in addition to funding police, education, healthcare, firemen, and transport, you also had to fund sanitation? And reducing the sanitation budget resulted in road and park tiles getting littered with trash, just like your "shady tint" idea for crime infested area.

What if bulldozed garbage dumps and factories left high pollution tiles behind them and you needed to pay an extra to decontaminate the soil before you could build something above the rubbles?

What if you could enact various city ordinances to earn you some extra taxes, and/or keep your citizens safe and happy?

What if you could outsource various problems to neighboring cities, like power or trash management? (at a cost, of course...)

What if you could sign agreements with your neighbors to take care of their power or trash problems? (at a cost, of course...)

What if you could sign business deals with various public or private entities?
e.g. You allow an entity to build a casino, an army base, a prison, a chemical waste disposal plant, or a giga mall somewhere in your city, and as long that building has power and is connected to a road, your city gets paid on a monthly basis. Of course you'll need to deal with the crime, traffic, pollution, and other side effects associated with said building.

Shoot for the moon

It makes no sense that you build a power station, a tramway line, zone a couple of residential and industrial district in the middle of nowhere, and instantly someone builds a car factory and an apartment complex.

What if, rather than building tall and then large, you had to build large and then tall? What if, what if you had to start low?

Low density. Low density residential, commercial, and industrial.

And low density industrial zones turned into:
- Fisheries when located near a shore.
- Lumber mills when located near a forest.
- Oil wells and mines when located on dirt.
- Farmland and orchards when located on grassland.

And you had to connect that web of small industries, single family homes, farmer's markets, and mom and pop's shops together with outsourced powerlines and gravel roads.

If your map generates with a natural/historical landmark on it, you capitalize on it by building a bunch of parks, camping grounds, and tourist traps around it.

And as your city grows beyond a certain population milestone, so would the demand for high density industries, commerces, and apartments blocks.

And with each new milestones you reach, your RCI meter develops differently and your citizens have new demands (city connections, sanitation, minor league stadium, public transit, colleges...)

What if reaching new milestones wasn't strictly about packing citizens on top of one another but also meeting your citizens' needs?

It would open up new opportunities for scenarios.
- Scenarios set in earlier stages would focus on growth and spending your budget efficiently.
- Scenarios set in middle stages would focus on disaster and rebuilding.
- Scenarios set in late stages of a city would be about optimization.

Now I know what you're gonna say: "Dude, that's no longer SimCity, you're just describing the sequels to SimCity, just play the sequels!" but I find the old SimCity to be kinda pleasing visually and musically speaking, and it would be quite a feat for one of the five SNES launch titles to achieve that level of details in term of simulation. But that's just me. All that I wrote above, all of that is what my brain thinks about every single time my city planning is done and I wait for taxes to enter the city coffers.

Anyway, I am so glad that you decided to start this project, FireBrandWhip. I will be following your progress very closely. :)

PS - Sorry I haven't replied to your message up until now, my computer died three weeks ago, and I got back online only a few days ago. Seeing your PM in my email inbox was the best "welcome back to the internet" present that I could ask for.

hidralisco

This all sounds remarkable and highly ambitious! As a fan of the SNES version, thank you very much for your work into this.

My sole suggestion is to actually take the many features of Sim City SNES and the proposed new additions and send them upstream to the Micropolis source code project: the open source translation of the original DOS Sim City code which was released some years ago. This would mean finally having SNES features available on the original DOS Sim City too.

FireBrandWhip

Going to do some editing on this soon again and some follow-up additions of trace route...

Hopefully other people interested in this product can join along I really want to have a group project where we can figure out this stuff together and use it as a group project to manifest new results of a game that we all loved.

blueskirt

Quote*NTNL PARK & NTNL MNMT
  National Park and national monuments(should boost land value overall)

Idea for the National Park:
If the National Park boosts land value, make it so every forest tile (within a certain radius of the National Park) shares the same bonus as the National Park.
Or, if you go the Amusement Park/Casino/Zoo route, with National Park providing extra income, make it so it provides additional income for each forest tile located within a certain radius of the National Park.

The idea here is to encourage players to not just sandwich the National Park between two C-Top, and also add incentives or mechanics for players who want to build cities that are more creative than the typical megalopolis.

FireBrandWhip

Quote from: blueskirt on June 15, 2022, 11:26:06 PM
Idea for the National Park:
If the National Park boosts land value, make it so every forest tile (within a certain radius of the National Park) shares the same bonus as the National Park.
Or, if you go the Amusement Park/Casino/Zoo route, with National Park providing extra income, make it so it provides additional income for each forest tile located within a certain radius of the National Park.

The idea here is to encourage players to not just sandwich the National Park between two C-Top, and also add incentives or mechanics for players who want to build cities that are more creative than the typical megalopolis.

I like it I like it a lot.

Your text is an overwhelming amount of information!

I will go through it and respond accordingly however long story short these are planned:

#1 The startup bug will be squashed!

#2 didn't know about that one must be destroyed or dealt with.

As for deleting or losing monuments or special buildings I think I have that on my list already where if you delete them they will go back automatically in your inventory however... Certain gifts will be unlockable at a certain point so that you can just build as many as you want when you reach that point.

I got a few other projects to take care of like the Chrono trigger temporal flux tutorials series that I'm doing... Under the username (Zakyrus... If you know what that is!)

And yes I do want to get further into some of the things that we're doing here soon I have been busy trying to get my ham radio license so I haven't had so much time to work on this particular project however this isn't going away I do want to get the 65c816
Processor for SNES figured out this is something I wanted to do since super Nintendo came out in 1990 1991 I was like a wee child then like 6 years old or something...

I printed out the opcodes for the assembly functions and I'm doing breakpoints as you've seen in the code so that we can get this information in the data crystal in case something happens to this project will at least have the information documented so other people can make editors.

Update:

Okay as for the gift list I do want to have each gift have its own category and storage slot probably up to 255 characters since data works easy that way.... Not that there are many that many gifts in the game because like I said before I wanted to unlock some of the gifts like a library at some point so you can just build your own .. and really customize the cities how you want it's meant to be not only a learning experience but a fun mod.

Also the idea... Idea of having an overlay graph over the city for police land value etc is fantastic this is something I wanted to do because there is like I mentioned before in the original post and invisible boat tile path and I didn't know this existed!!(until recently)... So there could be multiple layers with paths etc.

For now though I do want to stick with the original features on the list because I got a lot of stuff to try to figure out on how the game code works before we can elaborate on expansion however that is possible at a later date!

Okay and I will update this even more because of your post is huge not that I'm saying I'm overwhelmed by it it's just going to take me a bit to go through because I'm on a phone right now not a computer so I have to just respond bit by bit...

However the seasons I was thinking we could probably do a day night oscillation I like that!

However my version was going to be this and I think we could do both actually: (why not?)... Because after figuring out parks and large Parks expansion seasons are going to be next.

Jan -default winter (but snow gfx overlay)
Feb -crystal/shiny snowflakes
Mar - melty to dull green grass(wet)
Apr - default
May - further budding of trees
Jun- berries in trees start to form
(Possibly rainy)
Jul - yummy berries I was thinking about blueberry graphics drawing on the trees.
Aug-leaves gently start to turn but don't just yet kind of crispy.
Sep-leaves have a very orange and red mix.
Oct-orange and sparse mix.
Nov-leaf fall off animation and trees bear...
Dec-can be same as January.

As for the animations --wherever the park tiles and the tree tiles are (I'm still looking for those!) They seem to both be one tile that pallet shifts throughout various seasons so at some point I will do an update to The graphic animations where it looks like the leaves are falling off the trees as it transits but this might require expansion of ROM and update to the game which is okay of course once we get editors available and stuff.

I was thinking about integrating a storm vector math grid system sort of like land value system across the map based on open land and generate tornadoes etc this will be a later feature because there's a lot of other stuff on the basics to figure out first.

~Z