News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Finding/Removing Added Graphics in Patches  (Read 1473 times)

Zython

• View Profile
Finding/Removing Added Graphics in Patches
« on: November 19, 2017, 07:23:56 pm »
So, certain games with translated patches have the translators add credits like...well...this.

These people do great work, but this it not pleasant to see every time I start up the game. I would like to figure out how to remove these eyesores. I know hex editors and tools like IPS Peek can be used to look at the raw data of the patches, and tools like IPSelect allow for partial patching that removes certain parts of said data. What I'm having trouble with is finding which parts of the hex data correspond to these graphics. Any tips on how to do this or what to look for in the hex data?

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Finding/Removing Added Graphics in Patches
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 08:44:43 pm »
Such things come up from time to time but they tend not to fly around here

a) the other hackers if they are not already on the boards are friends of the people here

b) many of said same protect the games such that the basic removal methods break them. You then get to learn methods to remove those and given they are added by people what spend hours fiddling with old games/game systems to learn all the quirks you can imagine how fun that gets at times.

If they are obnoxious unskippable 30 second long affairs you might have a leg to stand on but for a couple of pictures on a title screen then learn to live with them.

This is also before we consider the shoddy stuff done by the repro makers which this sort of thing rather nicely seems to trouble.

Zython

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 09:32:31 pm »
That's certainly fair. I don't want to step on the toes of these people (they did work very hard on these translations, after all), and I can see why credit removal can raise a few eyebrows, even if I insist it's for my own personal use. Just thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

NERV Agent

• Restricted Access
  • Eva Unit 01
    • View Profile
    • Watch my anime shitposts on YouTube! Smell them, too!
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 09:45:53 pm »
I'm inclined to agree with both FAST6191 and the OP.

Those logos stick out like a sore thumb. Couldn't they just put some regular sized text on bottom or corners?

But FAST6191 is right. Some scammers can make repros pull a fast one* over consumers by fooling them into buying something that seems legitimate, but is not.

Anyway, OP, to get on with removing these things, you wanna start with either Tile Molester or Tile Layer Pro. I recommend Tile Molester, all though it is trickier to use than Tile Layer Pro.

This is assuming that the graphics are not compressed. If they are compressed, then you need to do further research on the compression/decompression schemes, and that deserves an entire thread unto itself.

*See what I did there?