News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Super Mario Bros. 3: The Rainbow Realms [RELEASED]  (Read 13614 times)

Weasel-Weasel

• View Profile
Re: Super Mario Bros. 3: The Rainbow Realms [RELEASED]
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2018, 05:56:57 am »
Hi, bluecrush. I am having trouble extracting the file. When I do, it shows that it extracted all the files, but it ends up as only the read me file being extracted. Am I doing something wrong? Please let me know. I am dying to play this hack!

Wesley

bluecrush

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2018, 07:57:15 am »
That pipe bug is fixed now. Download the updated Version 1.1 and it should be all good  :thumbsup:

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2018, 04:36:50 pm »
Excellent update. I've been anticipating this hack for awhile now.
"Programming in itself is beauty,
whether or not the operating system actually functions." - Linus Torvalds

bluecrush

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2018, 09:36:55 pm »
Hi, bluecrush. I am having trouble extracting the file. When I do, it shows that it extracted all the files, but it ends up as only the read me file being extracted. Am I doing something wrong? Please let me know. I am dying to play this hack!

Wesley

Oops, sorry forgot to reply to this!

Is the IPS patch file there in the extracted folder? If so, you'll need to apply the patch an original smb3 rom using a program like lunarIPS. Sorry if you knew that already, but I'm not exactly sure what the problem is from your description?

Wayn0rX

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2018, 10:06:34 pm »
Hey, I'm a total weirdo and I need to have art for all of the roms in my Retropie set-up, so I slapped this together.

bluecrush

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2018, 11:01:22 pm »
Hell yeah, that's awesome!

Let me add that to the OP

pianohombre

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2018, 01:10:36 am »
I had the same problem as Wesley, with extracting the file. I use 7-zip and was not able to even view the archive. Oddly enough I mounted it with daemon-tools lite then just copied the files. I patched the PRG0 version of SMB3 and had no problems. So far I'm having a lot of fun. It's slightly harder than the original version, but not so much where it feels like a kaizo game. It may turn off some people however. Even world 1 feels more like it's 6 or 7. I enjoy the challenge, but many rom hacks push the difficulty too hard too fast.

bluecrush

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2018, 07:06:39 pm »
Hmmm, that's weird. I used winrar to compress the files, but assumed that everything else could extract it without drama.

If anyone else is having problems extracting the file, I recommend trying winrar  ;)

GeoX

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2018, 08:26:54 pm »
For the record, I had trouble too.  Stuffit Expander on my mac gave me an error message, and several online rar expanders likewise didn't work.  I was able to open it <a href=https://extract.me/>here,</a> however.

bluecrush

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2018, 06:08:44 pm »
Since it seems like a few people are having trouble with the file, I might just reupload it. Is there a universal program that works for all people to zip files? I am kinda clueless when it comes to this aspect of things.

pianohombre

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2018, 08:15:43 pm »
Winzip and 7-zip are two of the best. *.zip is probably the best format.

bluecrush

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2018, 09:52:47 am »
Alright, my submission has gone through. I used 7-zip and changed the file's format to zip, so hopefully nobody else has issues extracting the file from now on. Can someone that was having trouble test that it's good now?

On another note, based on feedback I've got, the game is probably a bit more difficult than I meant to make it and that I have been leading on. There are a handful of puzzles/hidden exit levels that are peppered into the last three worlds, which seems to be where a lot of the difficulty is perceived. I think I underestimated how much easier it is to be beat a level when you have perfect knowledge of each level's layout, like I do.

Anyway, the good news is, the majority of the hardest levels are optional, but the back half of the game will be more difficult than the original, in particular World 8. Hopefully the challenge isn't too steep for most people.

Also, updated a couple of minor editing mistakes including fixing enemy lag in 7-5, and repositioning some blocks in 7-8 (preventing players achieving p-speed in a place they shouldn't be able to get it), and changed a couple of mushroom items around for ~various reasons~.

Anyway, hopefully this is the last update I make for this hack  ;D

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2018, 11:29:29 am »
I think I underestimated how much easier it is to be beat a level when you have perfect knowledge of each level's layout, like I do.

Of course you do, you designed it. If you want a more balanced difficulty curve next time, I'd recommend getting some play testers for some non-biased feedback.

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2018, 01:28:09 pm »
I still haven't played this hack properly (dang, this is killing me, I need to get my gamepads), but I know it took me a long long time to beat worlds 7 and 8 on the original game. So I say this without knowing this hack, but people may be comparing it to how they play the original game now, which would also be unfair.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 01:41:21 pm by nesrocks »

bluecrush

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2018, 09:24:31 pm »
I still haven't played this hack properly (dang, this is killing me, I need to get my gamepads), but I know it took me a long long time to beat worlds 7 and 8 on the original game. So I say this without knowing this hack, but people may be comparing it to how they play the original game now, which would also be unfair.

This is a good point. I think people forget how difficult the original game used to be before years of repetition has allowed us to basically be able to beat every level blindfolded (ok, maybe a slight exaggeration). There were some legit difficult levels -- I remember always avoiding 6-5 and 7-8, while P-winging and clouding over the fast ship and dungeon in World 8.

Having said that, Midna is right and on future projects I'll endeavour for more playtesting from a variety of players with different skill levels.

IAmCaptPlanet

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2018, 06:27:04 am »
i am LOVING this hack tbh. it's up there with 3Mix as far as i'm concerned

probably a little better for a more Mario 3 style game than it even (3Mix kinda goes all over the place in Mario's timeline, and this is a more pure SMB3 style, which i like)

i never understood the love for the Mario Adventure hack (maybe where it has been around so long?) cause i found it way too difficult, and i hated the weather gimmick

also, that other recent hack Mario 3 Ultimate or Mario Ultimate was pretty good too but i didnt get into it as much.

but anyways, there have been a few levels (i'm in world 6 now, so not to the end yet) that are pretty tough. the fortress you have to fly through and break the wall just right as your p-power runs out. and the level where you have to keep your tail to bust bricks and dodge piranha plant fireballs all the way through was hella annoying. but they were both new and interesting things that i had not seen before in Mario 3, so even the worst parts so far feel fresh and new.

overall so far the difficulty level is very handle-able, and i love the very 80's looking pinks and purples and the colors in general look great in this game. good job

there is a glitch in world 5 for me where the end area for several levels has a pipe (that is very easy to accidentally enter) that takes you to the giant maze level that shows up later as its own level. i dont think this was intentional (mario "appears" not out of a pipe, but a glitchy type thing, lol)

anyways, if this was your first hack, DANG. i'm looking forward to seeing more stuff!

darknior

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2018, 06:55:30 am »
Hey, I'm a total weirdo and I need to have art for all of the roms in my Retropie set-up, so I slapped this together.

Excellent, thanks, can you also share the title logo please ?

bluecrush

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2018, 08:07:36 am »
there is a glitch in world 5 for me where the end area for several levels has a pipe (that is very easy to accidentally enter) that takes you to the giant maze level that shows up later as its own level. i dont think this was intentional (mario "appears" not out of a pipe, but a glitchy type thing, lol)

anyways, if this was your first hack, DANG. i'm looking forward to seeing more stuff!

Ah yep, you definitely shouldn't be able to access that pipe. Honestly have no idea how that was overlooked! Anyhow, I've fixed it and submitted it to the queue, so patch 1.3 will have this issue eliminated.

This is my first smb3 hack, and I have a few concepts floating around in my head for either a sequel or a new style of smb3 hack altogether. I learnt a lot of things about the game and what sort of things are possible after a sizeable portion of the hack was complete -- for example, all the levels have been reworked within their original limits (though players shouldn't be able to tell). If I were to do another, I'd likely clear out all the levels and go freeform to realise creative ideas that weren't possible before.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words. Have fun!

Wayn0rX

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2018, 12:18:08 pm »
Excellent, thanks, can you also share the title logo please ?

I'm not sure if I understand your question. If you're looking for the file I used as the logo for this graphic, you can find it here: http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/File:The_Adventures_of_Super_Mario_Bros_3_logo.png