News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Updating Wayne Gretzky 3D Hockey 98 on N64  (Read 1195 times)

glitchrichmond

• View Profile
Updating Wayne Gretzky 3D Hockey 98 on N64
« on: October 18, 2017, 06:51:50 pm »
Hey all,

I gained some basic experience rom hacking for the NES (changing team names and colors in Blades of Steel, Tecmo Bowl and Double Dribble) a couple of years ago. I have no experience with the N64 but I'd like to learn and try updating the rosters and teams on Wayne Gretzky 3D Hockey 98. This would involve replacing textures and changing player names. I took a look at the game in a hex editor last night and I honestly have no idea where to begin. I know there are some tools out there to replace textures in specific games by Midway (NFL Blitz for example) but I'm not sure how to do it for others and I'm not sure how to locate player names.

If anyone can point me towards any tools I could utilize or information that I could read about the process that would be awesome!

Thanks

NERV Agent

• Restricted Access
  • Eva Unit 01
    • View Profile
    • Watch my anime shitposts on YouTube! Smell them, too!
Re: Updating Wayne Gretzky 3D Hockey 98 on N64
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 03:21:35 pm »
Although I haven't worked with the N64, I can say that Tile Molester is what you can use.

However, you will need to figure out which mode to use to view the graphics. I'm sure someone here knows.

Also, if you're lucky, the textures might use true 16 million colors, meaning you don't have to load a palette into Tile Molester to view them properly. If you are not lucky, you will need to hunt down the palette somewhere in the ROM.