News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: [Japanese Translator][PC] Dragon Slayer: New Heroes Legend  (Read 2177 times)

apraxiumRum

• View Profile
[Japanese Translator][PC] Dragon Slayer: New Heroes Legend
« on: October 11, 2017, 08:18:59 am »
Hello everyone here,
I am working on translating Falcom's remake of their 6th installment in the Dragon Slayer Franchise: The Legend of Heroes, as New Heroes Legend, now for the Windows to English language.
So far the journey was hard, bumpy but fun at the same time. Me and mrrichard999 did a lot of work (mostly him) to help make the game working so far; check out some photos (Camera taken, sorry):

However, The main meat of an RPG (Cutscenes, Locations, Towns, Dialogues, a lot of monsters' names and texts) were left untouched. Because we have low knowledge on Japanese. Everything I did relied heavily on Google translate.
We need a translator to change ingame Japanese Texts to English.
I will take over the task of changing the text within the files, so I need help to provide the translated texts for each file.
Further details will be provided.
__Update___
For the sake of being fair, here are letter counts of the text file groups of the game (including repetitions):
SCEN (All NPCs dialogue, on map events/cutscenes, all in separate files):140025 letter.
MONS (All Monsters & Bosses encounter text/moves/battle dialogue, all in separate files):4118 letter.
ED1_WIN.exe (The program itself, contain common messages, locations, items, Intro and Ending scenes' text, chapter prelude cutscenes, minigame dialogue):6144 letter.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 05:45:43 pm by apraxiumRum »

ObiKKa

• Tome of retro gaming knowledge!
    • View Profile
Re: [Japanese Translator][PC] Dragon Slayer: New Heroes Legend
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 12:03:40 pm »
Ooh, that'd be a good project that if completed would possibly pave the way for the only Dragon Slayer game left un-localized, the sequel and the 7th D.S. game.

I didn't know that Mr. Richard999 was also working on this one with you too. That's awesome. The text formatting looks very good even with some apparent glitches which, I'm sure, will be fixed soon.

edale

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 02:57:09 am »
Is that the same Dragon Slayer that was released in NA for the TurboGrafx CD?

That was my favorite TG RPG (not counting the Ys games).

Sadly I can't help with the translation :banghead:, but I'll gladly play this when it's done! :thumbsup:

ObiKKa

• Tome of retro gaming knowledge!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 12:18:13 am »
Is that the same Dragon Slayer that was released in NA for the TurboGrafx CD?

Yes, it's the same game. But I checked from a HG101 chart of Korean PC conversions saying that this DOS/Windows PC version was based off the PC-98 original specifically.

ShinobiWannabe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 02:28:02 pm »
Yes I could assist.  I am no professional translator, but I have read Japanese novels and have beaten several games in Japanese.  Also where do I get this game so I can play it?  Could you link me to an amazon page or to the game page on Falcom's site?

Although if this game is already translated in the Turbographix CD version, it may just be a matter of matching up the scripts I suppose. A remake may have most of the text as the same.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 03:02:52 pm by ShinobiWannabe »

apraxiumRum

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 03:06:32 pm »
Although if this game is already translated, it may just be a matter of matching up the scripts I suppose. A remake may have most of the text as exactly the same.
I thought of that as well, but I opted against it   :-\
I want to make a translation that stands out from both the localization for the Turbografix CD, and fan translation by OASIS for the MSX, and that is to avoid getting called out for stealing their work and crediting it as mine, as well as providing "Better" translation for a remake of the game.

ShinobiWannabe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 03:58:58 pm »
I don't know how much I can do, but could look at the MONS file first?  Also where is this new remake version so I can get it?

apraxiumRum

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 04:14:36 pm »
I don't know how much I can do, but could look at the MONS file first?  Also where is this new remake version so I can get it?
I'll talk to you about the game's files on personal messages.
Stay tuned!

preta

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2017, 02:53:11 pm »
I'd be very interested in doing editing for this project if it gets off the ground. I did editing on Brandish 2 Renewal, which should be releasing soon.

The official English name of the franchise is The Legend of Heroes, by the way, not Heroes Legend, so you should probably go with something like The New Legend of Heroes for the name instead, I think.

Additionally - Falcom's own official romanization of セリオス is Selios, not Selious. Granted, quite a few of their romanizations are pretty poor, and thus they shouldn't always be taken as the only acceptable ones, but I see no reason not to use the official romanizations that are already perfectly good.

And are you sure that your character count is correct? The Legend of Heroes II has only a bit over half as many Japanese characters. Are you counting letters in the Google Translated English script? The Japanese character count is what would be useful.

Yes I could assist.  I am no professional translator, but I have read Japanese novels and have beaten several games in Japanese.  Also where do I get this game so I can play it?  Could you link me to an amazon page or to the game page on Falcom's site?

Although if this game is already translated in the Turbographix CD version, it may just be a matter of matching up the scripts I suppose. A remake may have most of the text as the same.

You can get it here for 540 yen.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 03:17:57 pm by preta »

apraxiumRum

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 04:22:37 pm »
Thought I could share some screenshot of our progress.

Progress: (In draft)
SCEN: 60/222
MONS: 31/100

Still have a long way to go. 8)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 02:12:53 am by apraxiumRum »

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 08:39:12 pm »
Wow that's coming along nice! Good job! :)

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2018, 06:24:55 am »
Why would Falcon publish this game originally in Japanese, and not Filipino, or English. Peculiar.
"Programming in itself is beauty,
whether or not the operating system actually functions." - Linus Torvalds

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2018, 04:25:17 pm »
The same reason for most Japan-only games: because that's the market the parent company was focusing their efforts on. Judging from the look of the game, this was released in the 1990s when JRPGs of all stripes were much more niche than they are today, so a full localization likely wasn't seen as worth the expenses. Besides that, it took a really long time (late 2000s) for Falcom games to find a steady publisher over here.