News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Final Fantasy V - GBA Script Port  (Read 8986 times)

121J

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Final Fantasy V - GBA Script Port
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2017, 03:34:57 pm »
...could you make an optional patch for those who prefer the current spells naming (cure/cura/curaga, fire/fira/ firaga, etc) ?
And about the Summon Shoat, could not it be Catoblepas (in-game ; Catobl/Bleplas/etc) to get the same name as the other games in the series ?
I'm afraid I'm out of space for squish tiles, as it seems. I'm not sure if there's a way to extend the menu and the names themselves to allow for more characters, like the Blue Magic menu. Catoblepas I could change, seeing as the others are abbreviated anyway.

EDIT: Just submitted an update. This update changes Shoat to Catobl, as well as implementing the FF4 font for menus. I also fixed one small oversight on my part.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 04:13:26 pm by 121J »

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2017, 08:46:35 pm »
Not quite sure what you're getting at here. FF5, much like FF4, uses an 8x8 font for its menus, so the FF4 font would be the same size, if that's what you're getting at. FF5 also has a 6-character limit for some spell names (including the white/black/time magic icon), so I'm more limited by menu rather than font constraints. Your excellent Namingway Edition was actually what inspired me to make use of squish tiles, however FF5 doesn't exactly have as much leeway as FF4 when it comes to this:

There's plenty of space near the top, however for some reason FF5 doesn't seem to like using any tiles above the Chicago alphabet in battle - it loads in tiles from below instead. I've used the space I can and from what I know FF4 has much more free space for squish tiles. Either way, if you think the FF4 font would look better aesthetically then I'd be welcome to try it out.

I meant for both the menu AND the text font using the FF4 font. It's actually smaller overall than the FF6 font and making squish tiles like I did for Namingway Edition would have more space. Also it would make it seem more uniform instead of the tiny Earthbound font. When I get a chance to (I have to make some fixes to it anyway) I'll take a screenshot of Namingway's squish tiles if that helps.

121J

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2017, 02:29:58 am »
I meant for both the menu AND the text font using the FF4 font. It's actually smaller overall than the FF6 font and making squish tiles like I did for Namingway Edition would have more space. Also it would make it seem more uniform instead of the tiny Earthbound font.

RPGe's FF5 makes use of a VWF and I'd rather make use of that than use FF4's 8x8 font, which actually gives me less freedom when it comes to space. If you have any suggestions for a thin VWF then I'd be happy to take them into consideration. I kind of need a thin font to squeeze all of the battle dialogue in - or risk mangling, for example, Gilgamesh's most memorable lines.

EDIT: If consistency is what you're going for, perhaps I could try and knock together a thin VWF based on FF4's font?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 04:29:24 am by 121J »

octorox

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2017, 12:41:42 pm »
EDIT: If consistency is what you're going for, perhaps I could try and knock together a thin VWF based on FF4's font?

This sounds like the best option imo. The Earthbound font just clashes too heavily with the menu font.

121J

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2017, 02:35:55 pm »
I've attempted to modify the current font to create a thin VWF that matches the niches in the FF4 font. Feedback is appreciated.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2017, 04:20:50 pm »
To be honnest, any font which is not bold (2 px wide) is never going to look Final Fantasy-ish.

Prince Valmont

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2017, 05:34:58 pm »
Have you considered the font used in the Final Fantasy VI Relocalization Project? https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2247/
Looks clean and fitting for a Final Fantasy title!

amitrius17

• View Profile
    • FantasyAnime
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2017, 05:59:21 pm »
I must be patching it wrong. Do you have any idea what would cause the font to look weird like this?

[ fantasyanime.com ] RPGs & Anime

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2017, 11:55:15 pm »
So here is what was used for both the in game text and menu font for FFIV. If you used this, it would look much better overall with space to extend spell names. Obviously you don't need to use the tiles I did for certain monster names like Scarmiglione and Barbaracia.

121J

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2017, 03:00:34 am »
So here is what was used for both the in game text and menu font for FFIV. If you used this, it would look much better overall with space to extend spell names. Obviously you don't need to use the tiles I did for certain monster names like Scarmiglione and Barbaracia.

The FF4 font is currently implemented for the menu in the latest version. As for the dialogue font, the FF4 font is too wide for me to fit the longer battle dialogue in. I tried to compromise and create a thin VWF that's similar to FF4's font (image above), what are your opinions on that?
EDIT: Although I did use the FF4 font from this site with a drop shadow, so it may have had some modifications to it.

October 12, 2017, 03:04:19 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I must be patching it wrong. Do you have any idea what would cause the font to look weird like this?

If you're using the ROM from fantasyanime.com, for whatever reason that ROM has problems with most patches. If not, I'm not sure.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 03:08:49 am by 121J »

octorox

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2017, 09:22:46 am »
I've attempted to modify the current font to create a thin VWF that matches the niches in the FF4 font. Feedback is appreciated.

I think this is preferable to the Earthbound font.

121J

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2017, 11:12:21 am »
For a new font, I could either use the thin FF4-styled VWF I put together in combination with the FF4 menu font, or I could use the GBA font along with the 8x8 version from here for the menus. What do you think is better?

octorox

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2017, 01:26:00 pm »
Perhaps include two patches so people can select which one they prefer? Personally I'd go with option 1 to preserve a feeling of continuity with the other SNES Final Fantasy games.

121J

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2017, 02:12:03 pm »
I've just submitted a new update which changes to the FF4-based font I posted above while fixing some more minor errors.

octorox

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2017, 09:04:08 am »
I just checked out the latest version, definitely an improvement. I would lose the drop shadow on menu text though, it just doesn't look very good and isn't necessary without a gradient underneath. In fact, if you could change the menu text to the thinner font you're using for dialogue it would look a lot more cohesive, even if it's fixed width instead of variable width.     

121J

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2017, 11:15:11 am »
I just checked out the latest version, definitely an improvement. I would lose the drop shadow on menu text though, it just doesn't look very good and isn't necessary without a gradient underneath. In fact, if you could change the menu text to the thinner font you're using for dialogue it would look a lot more cohesive, even if it's fixed width instead of variable width.     

Call me insane, but I prefer the shadow...

Either way, I could easily include two patches.

I did try to darken the shadow a bit:

And here it is without any shadow:

Edit: The darkened shadow doesn't actually look too great as it darkens the rest of the UI as well. Either way, I'll provide two seperate patches - one with the shadow, one without. If I used the dialogue font then the spacing would be r e a l l y  l o n g.

Edit 2: Just submitted the latest version - the file now contains two patches for the shadowed and unshadowed font respectively.

October 13, 2017, 12:46:52 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
One thing - is it possible to extend the spell names and spell menu so that there are only two columns per row rather than three? This would allow me to better update the spell names.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 12:46:52 pm by 121J »

GHANMI

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2017, 08:16:08 pm »
Maybe I'm too late to the party, but since this is based on the GBA version, why not go the extra mile and use its font? If Earthbound's font fits, this one definitely does and you can't get more authentic.

Here's a version used in one of their DS releases. Each character is 10x10.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2017, 09:35:24 pm »
Call me insane, but I prefer the shadow...

Either way, I could easily include two patches.

I did try to darken the shadow a bit:

And here it is without any shadow:

Edit: The darkened shadow doesn't actually look too great as it darkens the rest of the UI as well. Either way, I'll provide two seperate patches - one with the shadow, one without. If I used the dialogue font then the spacing would be r e a l l y  l o n g.

Edit 2: Just submitted the latest version - the file now contains two patches for the shadowed and unshadowed font respectively.

October 13, 2017, 12:46:52 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
One thing - is it possible to extend the spell names and spell menu so that there are only two columns per row rather than three? This would allow me to better update the spell names.

That was one of the things that made it difficult with Namingway Edition. I had to work around the character limit because figuring out HOW to get the spell menu altered is something that hasn't been found out yet. If you're able to get the names to work the way I did, I'm sure people would understand.

121J

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2017, 06:58:33 am »
Maybe I'm too late to the party, but since this is based on the GBA version, why not go the extra mile and use its font? If Earthbound's font fits, this one definitely does and you can't get more authentic.

Here's a version used in one of their DS releases. Each character is 10x10.

I'll consider this, especially as there's an 8x8 version here that I could use for the menus.

That was one of the things that made it difficult with Namingway Edition. I had to work around the character limit because figuring out HOW to get the spell menu altered is something that hasn't been found out yet. If you're able to get the names to work the way I did, I'm sure people would understand.
I've tried to get around these limitations using squish tiles where avaliable, however there's not quite enough to remove the numbered spell system. It seems the tiles above the RPGe alphabet aren't loaded in battle for whatever reason, so I can't really use them.

EDIT: Submitted a new version that changes Image to Blink. Also, should I create a personal projects page for this? It'd seem more natural to move the discussion there.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 07:16:24 am by 121J »

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2017, 06:42:18 pm »
I'll consider this, especially as there's an 8x8 version here that I could use for the menus.
I've tried to get around these limitations using squish tiles where avaliable, however there's not quite enough to remove the numbered spell system. It seems the tiles above the RPGe alphabet aren't loaded in battle for whatever reason, so I can't really use them.

EDIT: Submitted a new version that changes Image to Blink. Also, should I create a personal projects page for this? It'd seem more natural to move the discussion there.

Yes I think you should. The discussion is getting longer since you are still making updates to the project.