News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: How Much ASM Knowledge is Needed to Translate a Game?  (Read 1247 times)

Bob789

• View Profile
How Much ASM Knowledge is Needed to Translate a Game?
« on: October 06, 2017, 11:16:42 am »
I was wondering, how much ASM knowledge does someone need to dump the untranslated script and reinsert the translated script? Assuming they don't have to make their own fonts, and stuff like that. I understand that sounds a little vague, but I can't think of anything to add to it at the moment.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
Re: How Much ASM Knowledge is Needed to Translate a Game?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 11:36:23 am »
You're posting lots of threads asking for help: if you're working on one particular game, maybe you could make a more permanent thread in Personal Projects and people could help with more specific things? Just a thought... :)

To answer your question, depending on the game and what you need to do to it, you don't need to know assembly at all. I translated an entire Game Boy Color game without knowing a lick of assembly, but my translations for the NES have been much easier with the ability to hack the code.

Again, it sounds like you're working on something so if you make a more specific thread then people can help more easily. Vague questions and requests are hard to answer. :)

Bob789

• View Profile
Re: How Much ASM Knowledge is Needed to Translate a Game?
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 03:06:09 pm »
I plan on taking your advice. I've been creating way too many new threads.