News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Wizardry II - Llylgamyn no Isan (Character Names Untranslated)  (Read 3888 times)

firedropdl

• View Profile
Wizardry II - Llylgamyn no Isan (Character Names Untranslated)
« on: September 24, 2017, 04:23:55 pm »
Hey everybody,

Just a heads up to anybody here since I don't know a better way of letting the authors of the hack know about this.  Everything in the game seems to be translated fine, except for the name creation.  At first I thought it was just the starting party they create for you, but when you try making new characters at the Training Grounds the alphabet is still Japanese.

Probably not a game breaker if you use unique enough looking names for your characters, but it would be nice to put in actual names you could read.  I would love to see this updated to have an English alphabet for name creation some day.

Here's the translation page:
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2327/

Thanks for all the amazing work everybody!

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
Re: Wizardry II - Llylgamyn no Isan (Character Names Untranslated)
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 04:29:29 pm »
Hmm, that's weird. The patch just changes the menu, because the game is actually already in both English and Japanese: the patch just makes it easier to change. If the character name page is still Japanese, I can see why that would be a problem, though of course it'd require more work.

Reiska

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 05:58:16 pm »
It has an English alphabet, you just have to press Select to get at it if I recall correctly.

firedropdl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 03:49:23 am »
Wow.  Good call Reiska. :)

How did you even know about that though? 

There's no readme file on the page or with the patch, and nothing on the page tells you to do that.

darkmoon2321

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 08:48:22 am »
Sounds similar to the controls in Wizardry V.  Pressing select during character naming changes the alphabet between two sets of Japanese characters and also English uppercase and lowercase.  I agree though that it is confusing for English players when they first see all the Japanese characters.  There should be a way to change the initial character set to English when English text is chosen from the options menu.  If I was able to do it for the Wizardry V translation, it should be possible for this game as well.

firedropdl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 07:29:03 pm »
I was thinking the same thing, darkmoon, but I didn't want to be too forward since I'm not a hacker myself.  Would be great to have that upgrade to the game if it's possible.  People might accidentally figure it out on their own, but in the two or three times I reset it to see if I was setting it up wrong I didn't make it work.

Maybe if anybody knows how to get in contact with pacnsacdave they can pass the suggestion along.  I've tried to unsuccessfully get in touch with him here and via email about a few patching issues with some of his translations with no success, but I don't want to be a pest so I haven't tried again.

darkmoon2321

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 09:20:53 am »
I've got a working solution to this.  Made a patch that sets it so that English uppercase is the first alphabet that appears if English sentences are specified in the options menu, and the first set of Japanese symbols appear if Japanese sentences are specified.  I also translated the names of the initial characters and set the default language options to English if there is no existing save for the game.  I'll try contacting Pacnsacdave first to see if I can get my changes incorporated into his translation.  If not, I'll just submit an addendum.

firedropdl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 02:08:47 pm »
That sounds great darkmoon!  Thanks for looking into that and for doing it so quickly to boot. 

Looking forward to this, whichever way it's done. :)

firedropdl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 12:39:22 am »
Any word from pacnsacdave on this, darkmoon2321?

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 03:29:57 am »
Any word from pacnsacdave on this, darkmoon2321?

You know, he is a member of the forum, and is apparently actively reading even if he never posts. You could PM him, you know, that's what it's for. In fact, this post could've been a PM for darkmoon2321, but PMing someone about PMing someone else seems a bit strange. :)

firedropdl

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 04:51:22 am »
I've PM'd him about something else as well as emailing him at his site and he never responded.  I didn't expect him to respond to darkmoon either.

darkmoon2321

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2017, 12:16:30 pm »
I actually did get a response from him, but that was like a week ago and I've heard nothing since.  I've checked the queue occasionally to look for an update but nothing.  He indicated that he was only responsible for the title screen on that project, and that he would contact the other contributors about it.  I can only assume he was talking about MrRichard999 and Helly.

firedropdl

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2017, 11:03:44 pm »
Thanks for the update darkmoon.  Looking forward to this. :)

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2017, 03:51:44 am »
I just submitted a change to the page to inform regarding the Select thing. Which, you know, you could've done already. :) I really don't think this is a big deal. Sure, it'd be nice to have it start with the English alphabet, and it's a pity they didn't include a text file to explain this, but really, if I started the game and was faced with that, I'd probably press every button - and there are only eight of them - and fix the problem in five seconds. So a little note on the page will do - provided it's approved.

darkmoon2321

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2017, 11:03:13 am »
I just went ahead and submitted an addendum patch with the changes I mentioned previously.  It would have been better to have it incorporated into the other so you only have to apply a single patch, but meh.  As long as it gets approved, it should be available in a day or two.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2017, 11:06:29 am »
I just went ahead and submitted an addendum patch with the changes I mentioned previously.  It would have been better to have it incorporated into the other so you only have to apply a single patch, but meh.  As long as it gets approved, it should be available in a day or two.

Cool, pity it can't just be a new version of the regular patch, but that would require the other hackers to get involved.

firedropdl

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2017, 02:28:46 pm »
I didn't submit a change to the patch page because it was a problem that Darkmoon already solved, Psyklax.

I've already submitted at least a dozen changes that have all been approved on other hacks.

As I stated before, I loaded up the game 3 times and didn't figure this out for myself.  The fact that there were already 6 party members to choose from that all had Japanese names leads you to believe that the character names were not translated.

Apparently it was an easy fix for somebody who knew how to do it, and this in the end is a much better solution than putting instructions how to work around it on the patch page. 

Thanks again for the patch Darkmoon.  Looking forward to it.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2017, 02:56:02 pm »
I didn't submit a change to the patch page because it was a problem that Darkmoon already solved, Psyklax.

Okay, but Darkmoon can only submit an addendum, not alter the original translation, so I still think it's worth mentioning it on the page, just in case someone doesn't notice his addendum. I just thought it wouldn't hurt to say it there: more info is always useful, as I'm sure you'd agree. :)

firedropdl

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2017, 06:53:23 pm »
I'm sure I was eventually going to get around to doing something with that.  I didn't see a point until we knew how this was going to go.  Ideally, it would have been added to the initial patch, and that's what Darkmoon was trying to do.  That would have made any comments at that point moot.

Once I patch with Darkmoon's addendum patch I'll update the patch page with a link to the addendum patch if Darkmoon didn't do it already.

darkmoon2321

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2017, 08:01:31 am »
I got a contact from MrRichard999 about incorporating the addendum into the original patch.  He gave me approval, and I submitted the changes.  Changes were approved, so everything should be good now.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 08:59:58 am by darkmoon2321 »