News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: The Promise of Haruhi Suzumiya PSP translation - testers needed  (Read 1842 times)

Tom

• View Profile
The Promise of Haruhi Suzumiya PSP translation - testers needed
« on: September 20, 2017, 06:30:25 pm »
I'm here to announce the fan translation of Suzumiya Haruhi no Yakusoku, or "The Promise of Haruhi Suzumiya," for the PSP.

I'm also here to ask for volunteers who can do participate in the beta testing. Send me a message if you can.

Many years ago, I wanted to work on PSP games, but PSP hackers were nearly impossible to find. I ended up joining Zarradeth and Soywiz, who were relying on a team of translators to get the game running in English. There was only one problem. The translators didn't really know Japanese, or English, all that well. They released a demo that was rather poor, and some time after that, I came across their project.

I offered to help, and translated the whole game. It sat for several years after I finished, mainly because there was no debugger, and several key issues like an unavailable fourth line of dialogue in the text windows, a broken backlog, several unaltered graphics, and unsubtitled videos, were not integrated.

EsperKnight, another hacker, eventually offered to finish the project, and he did so very quickly. Cargodin helped edit the remaining images, revised some of the previously edited images that contained errors, and timed and set the subtitles for all of the movies/songs.

The reason why I waited so long to announce the project is because Zarradeth and Soywiz had released a "demo patch" before I had joined the project. It was very low quality, and was only about 1 percent translated. I didn't want people to think that I was involved with that patch, so I didn't want to announce the project until the hacking work was essentially done.

At the moment, all we need to do (as far as I know) is play testing, script editing, and then we can release it. The patch supports both the deluxe and standard editions of the game.

You can see a video of the current state of the project here, running on real PSP hardware through a TV with an HD upscaler:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia4BRr0xujU

Please excuse the poor quality of the recording. (I'm only able to record through an off-screen camera.)

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
Re: The Promise of Haruhi Suzumiya PSP translation - testers needed
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 06:46:44 pm »
Huge congrats on this! I'm a big Haruhi fan and so is Esperknight. I'm pretty sure EK's had the script for this kicking around, but I have a strict policy not to translate anything less than 10 years old, so I probably refused to work on it. Lol :D

As the game came out in 2007, I'm happy to see that it's reached its 10 year anniversary and that you both have brought the game close to completion. Good luck with play-testing!

EDIT: Come to think of it, Queen's Blade: Spiral Chaos will be 10 years old in 2019... I'd be up for translating that one. :)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 07:00:19 pm by filler »

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 07:00:57 pm »
As I said, EsperKnight is the hacker who revived and completed this project. Cargodin's image editing skills and sub-setting skills were also indispensable.

That said, Soywiz and Zarradeth did an amazing job on the game's framework, and to think that most of their work was done without a debugger!

They also created a very cool custom patching program that allows you to trim out movies, music, and/or voices to make the ISO smaller, if you wish.

Filler: Good luck with Queen's Blade!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 09:04:33 pm by Tom »

Lentfilms

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 10:20:05 am »
Congrats on making it to the final stretch on your mysterious visual novel translation project, I had been wondering for a while what game you were hinting at all this time on your Twitter account.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 11:02:22 pm »
I just wish that there were people willing to test it. From what I've been told, the series lost its momentum when one of the voice actresses got caught up in a scandal in her personal life.

I suppose it'll be a lot harder to get it tested now.

filler

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 01:21:02 am »
I just wish that there were people willing to test it. From what I've been told, the series lost its momentum when one of the voice actresses got caught up in a scandal in her personal life.

I suppose it'll be a lot harder to get it tested now.
I remember that being an issue, but I think it was the second season of the anime and the "endless 8" that was more of a problem. It kind of killed the momentum.

That didn't stop the movie, and spin-off manga/anime about Yuki Nagato though. It just isn't quite the sensation it was for a while. There are still enough novels to do some movies/ovas from so I hope they continue with that.

I feel like strangely play-testing is a difficult part of the process to get right. Aside from solid translation and technical help, folks with solid proofreading, writing, and play-testing skills are a boon to any project/group.

I'd offer to play-test this, but I feel like I'm better utilized doing script translation on other projects. Anyone know of any active Haruhi fan boards or anything?

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 07:40:32 am »
That is essentially the problem here - everybody has something better to do, so the game will most likely get lost in limbo despite being complete.

It's a real shame, especially given the amount of high-quality work that's been put into it.

But if interest is this low, then even if it got fully tested and released, I doubt many people will play it. If interest remains low, I suppose Esperknight, Cargodin and I could just release it in a "good enough" state.

But I think it'd be a real shame to release an untested script after all of the hard work they put into it.

The script is decent as-is, at the very least... We'll see.

FShadow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 10:47:10 pm »
I'd love to play-test this game! I've been wanting to play this game in English since I first heard about the project back in 2012, and kept checking Zarradeth's blog periodically for about 2 years before I gave up hope. I'd even considered picking up the project myself for a while, but decided against it so I could work on Baka & Test Portable.

Anyway, if you still need someone to play-test, just send me a PM. I am very good at critiquing/revising English text, and something like this seems right up my alley. Either way, I'm really excited about this project!

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 07:39:42 am »
Thank you for your offer - I have sent the game to two people so far. I would appreciate another tester for sure! Please check your PM.

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 10:26:15 am »
Honestly, I haven't the time to -play- things through, but I could at least look at a script and comment.

How many branches did it have? I was just looking at my collection of Haruhi Suzumiya books and going "Man, I wish there were more of these..."

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 11:47:41 am »
There are twelve endings and a rather complicated branching system.

Aikaru

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 02:19:45 pm »
Hi

I'm new here and I'm looking for some projects in which I could collaborate in order to get some experience in translating, localizing, testing and QA related to videogames. Contact me if you still need somebody to test and provide feedback, I will be glad to join your team.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2017, 10:18:38 pm »
I'll send you a private message.

ObiKKa

• Tome of retro gaming knowledge!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2017, 07:10:14 pm »

EDIT: Come to think of it, Queen's Blade: Spiral Chaos will be 10 years old in 2019... I'd be up for translating that one. :)

Have you seen this project?

filler

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2017, 10:10:36 pm »
Have you seen this project?

Nope. Guess I'd better tell Esperknight to stop looking in to this one. :D I guess there's nothing I can do about it, but it's still frustrating to see these threads happen on other forums and not here at RHDN. :'(