News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Legend of Zelda titel screen color changes  (Read 1333 times)

choobo

• View Profile
Legend of Zelda titel screen color changes
« on: September 03, 2017, 09:48:45 am »
Hello

i need some help with finding where to change the bakground color in legend of zelda? its pink in the orignial titel screen but i want to change that color. i have readed some guides and made some other color changes like the mountain and the waterfall but cant locate the pink bakground color in the hex editor and the ppu viewer do not change the pink color but all the others.

I use fceux for this

/Choobo

September 04, 2017, 02:17:49 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I found it was looking at the wrong place.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 02:17:50 pm by choobo »

MarkAss

• View Profile
Re: Legend of Zelda titel screen color changes
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 04:48:42 pm »
Here is a ROM map for L.O.Z. if it helps with any other questions.

https://datacrystal.romhacking.net/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda:ROM_map

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
Re: Legend of Zelda titel screen color changes
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 05:51:15 pm »
Change $9511 in the ROM to whatever colour you like.

I found it using my typical method of debugging in FCEUX. I went to $3F00 in the PPU to see the background colour (36) and did a write breakpoint. This took me to $305 in RAM. So I did a write breakpoint to that, and it brought me to that section of the ROM. It's a routine that fills the palette table with all colours, but the background colour is only needed once. Nevertheless, it fills each BG colour space with 36, but I discovered through process of elimination that only the write to $3F10 actually matters, so just change that one byte and you have a different background on the title. :)