Hi (should I say "salut !", french fellow? :p ),
I tried the hack this morning, in fact I finished the game as I know it by heart, and it's great! I appreciated a lot of little touches, for exemple replacing Beat by Protoman in the ending, you neglected no tiny detail. :p
Some things that maybe could be improved:
- bug: in Crystal Man stage, if you destroy the falling crystals with the shield, they do not respawn
- maybe there should be a "P" instead of Protoman face, à la Megaman X, before going to the forteress: the art is not that great (at least the colors), and it creates confusion with the face of the fake Protoman (someone playing for the first time would not understand it's the access to the forteress)
- the colors for Star Arrow, P Coil and P Jet are so close to the default one, maybe it should simply be the default one
- how much the game would be broken if the shield was used everytime we're not moving? Maybe with 2x damages (no choice here), it could help differentiate a Megaman vs a Protoman playthrough?
- something that would be really cool would be to have in the same game the choice between Megaman and Protoman. If the password is a problem, Protoman could be chosen on the title screen before entering it (like you did for the damage multiplier)
As a matter of fact, the hack "Megaman V Refined" (http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3466/
) is entirely compatible. I fnished the game with the two hacks applied! It's because it improves the level-design of the game instead of replacing stages by new ones.
Speaking of which, I am the author of Megaman V Refined, and some changes you made, that have nothing to do with Protoman, would improve the base game as I envision it:
- The charge shot charging sound now fades out
- Picking an E/M Tank or a 1up when they're already full no longer makes a sound, like in later games in the series
- Wily cutscene at the end of Protoman fortress stage 4: made the text flow faster.
Would you accept to implemend these in my hack? Of course you would be added as a contributor, as it should.