News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Metroid (NES) - mOTHER + 99 (full health) hack?  (Read 6416 times)

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
Re: Metroid (NES) - mOTHER + 99 (full health) hack?
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2017, 12:43:25 pm »
I forgot I was going to upload the patch I had.  :D
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f58dqm9c2d3nl5w/Metroid.ips?dl=0

Requires Metroid (U).nes, with MD5: d7da4a907be0012abca6625471ef2c9c

This one is primarily based on snarfblam's 0.4 hack of Metroid+Saving (which now features an Automap).
I also made it so that the missile doors now only require 1 missile shot instead 5.
I believe I made it so that Reds are 1, purple are 2 and yellow are 5, but I could be mistaken, I can't recall what I did since it has been quite some time xD

Only thing I want to do is apply the Pause & Up+A for saving which has been talked about recently.

PS: This is based on vanilla Metroid, none of the mOTHER changes have been applied, mostly because I like to keep the aesthetic and overall feel of the game intact, while still having all of the general improvements, like saving, less missiles per doors, life refilled on start, etc.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 12:48:35 pm by ShadowOne333 »

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2017, 01:35:24 pm »
Only thing I want to do is apply the Pause & Up+A for saving which has been talked about recently.
http://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,4433.msg60366.html#msg60366

Look there, my good chum. :)
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2017, 03:00:17 pm »
http://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,4433.msg60366.html#msg60366

Look there, my good chum. :)
Thanks!
And guess what... Goddamn one byte changes XD
15 to 14 and that was it.

As for the button combo, I took the liberty to map all of the inputs and their Hex values:

$80 - A button
$40 - B button
$20 - Select button
$10 - Start button
$08 - Up
$04 - Down
$02 - Left
$01 - Right

You can see them in RAM offset 0x000014

For Metroid+Saving the code would be this in Hex:
A5 15 29 88 60 AD

Changing the 15 to 14 would make it so you can use Controller 1 to do the button combo to save the game at any time.
Changing the 88 to some other value depending on the bitmask would make it so that you can choose whatever button combo you desire.

According to snarfblam:
Quote from: snarfblam
bit 7=A, bit 6=B, bit 5=SELECT, bit 4=START, bit 3=Up, bit 2=Down, bit 1=Left, bit 0=Right.

I tried changing the 88 (Up+A) to something else, but for some reason the game is not responding to anything other than Up+A. Any ideas why?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 03:25:30 pm by ShadowOne333 »

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2017, 06:45:47 pm »
I have no clue. Snarfblam said to change "both 88's" to the desired bitmask, but there's only one 88 existent anymore in Metroid + Saving. I contented myself in both my personal mod of Metroid + Saving v0.3, and in Metroid mOTHER: Galactic Edition v3, with just keeping it as Up + A. I wanted it to be A + Select though, or even A + B + Select like in Metroid: Rogue Dawn.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2017, 07:33:05 pm »
I have no clue. Snarfblam said to change "both 88's" to the desired bitmask, but there's only one 88 existent anymore in Metroid + Saving. I contented myself in both my personal mod of Metroid + Saving v0.3, and in Metroid mOTHER: Galactic Edition v3, with just keeping it as Up + A. I wanted it to be A + Select though, or even A + B + Select like in Metroid: Rogue Dawn.
Yeah I was actually going to change it to Select only or Select and something else, but no button combo I tried work other than Up+A (88)

romevi

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2017, 12:37:00 am »
I wasn't being rude, and I didn't mean to come across that way. You helped out a lot and I'm sure Krustentier7 is grateful. I was just posting more information on the hack they asked for.

Edit 1 - You want the mOTHER graphics on top of everything else, right? I'll see what I can do.

Edit 2 - It's done! Jesus, that took forever. I'll upload a patch here soon, but I will not upload it to the site without Snarfblam and dACE's permissions.

There's a couple more changes I think that should be made before it's considered "fully finished," though.

Firstly, the save button combination. You guys know how in Metroid: Rogue Dawn, you can save at any time by pausing, then pushing Select on controller 1, then also on controller 1, you press the A Button, and the B Button simultaneously? I think something similar should be done for Metroid mOTHER. Right now, it uses Pause, then on controller 2 you push D-Pad Up, then the A Button. To go along with the "ease of access" philosophy, I really think that it should all be on controller 1.

I was also wondering if Missile pickups should be a full 5 at a time instead of just 2, but would that make things too easy?

Edit 3 - I call it Metroid mOTHER: Galactic Edition.

http://www.bwass.org/bucket/Metroid_mOTHER_Galactic_Edition-3.zip (The old v2 link has been removed; only v3 remains, which fixes some graphical glitches and makes saving happen entirely on Controller 1)

I'm no super hacker; all I did was make patches and apply them, and pray! LMAO. So to clear up any confusion, I'll outline my process here:
- Applied Metroid mOTHER to a Metroid I ROM
- Applied Metroid + Saving v0.4 NotDone to another Metroid I ROM
- Applied Metroid + Saving v0.3 to yet another Metroid I ROM
- Incorporated nesrocks' Low Energy Alarm (10 NRG or less) and Full Energy mods to the Metroid + Saving v0.4 ROM
- Made a patch for Metroid + Saving by using v0.3 as the "original, unmodified ROM" and v0.4 (With nesrocks' enhancements) as the "new, modified ROM"
- Applied the above patch to Metroid mOTHER
- Did some rudimentary testing

I'm glad it worked. I pretty much went on instinct here and could've wound up with nothing to show for it. The whole game has not been tested, but everything seems alright.

OMG Thank you! This makes the ultimate Metroid Hack (besides Rogue Dawn) even ultimater. Thank you!

Had no idea wall-jumping was so difficult. Never played Super Metroid (will next), so had to figure out how to do it. Still tricky, though.

Questions:
- When I pause and hit either Save or Continue, does it always bring me back to the beginning? Thought that if I at least hit Continue it will just un-pause.
- You say it's not done. What else is there to do? I'm going to have a buddy of mine make a repro cart of Rogue Dawn and was thinking of doing Metroid mOTHER too, but this compiled version you have is way, way better.

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2017, 04:13:46 am »
OMG Thank you! This makes the ultimate Metroid Hack (besides Rogue Dawn) even ultimater. Thank you!

Had no idea wall-jumping was so difficult. Never played Super Metroid (will next), so had to figure out how to do it. Still tricky, though.

Questions:
- When I pause and hit either Save or Continue, does it always bring me back to the beginning? Thought that if I at least hit Continue it will just un-pause.
- You say it's not done. What else is there to do? I'm going to have a buddy of mine make a repro cart of Rogue Dawn and was thinking of doing Metroid mOTHER too, but this compiled version you have is way, way better.

1. It's not every time you pause that it brings you to the save screen. You have to pause and press D-Pad Up + A Button at the same time. If you do Up + A, it basically automatically kills Samus to take you to the save screen. Loading a save doesn't take you to Brinstar's starting zone every time, it takes you to the start of each elevator; the game also auto-saves every time you go up or  down an elevator, I think? Not sure on that. Anyhow, the reason Continue just takes you to the beginning of one area without any changes is because the game assumes Samus has been killed and you're starting over fresh. It's also kind of a remnant of the password system.

2. I wish you had read onward a little!

So I just found a small bug of when you get out of Brinstar, the new "E" and Missile indicators revert to the "...." and the right half of the old Missile indicator. I've fixed it, and I also did some minor behind-the-scenes updates, but I'm not gonna put a new version up yet. I really want it to be made so that saving can be done all on one controller--that's worth a new full update to me.

August 29, 2017, 12:50:51 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
http://www.bwass.org/bucket/Metroid_mOTHER_Galactic_Edition-3.zip

Snarfblam kindly told me which byte to change to make it so you only need Controller 1 to save. Pause, then press Up+A on Controller 1 to be taken to the save screen. You shouldn't need the A Button at all on the pause menu--scrolling the map is done with the D-Pad and unpausing requires the Start Button. But remember not to press A while perusing the full map just in case, OK?

This also fixes the minor issues with the Energy and Missile displays that I mentioned earlier in this post.

Enjoy. :)
So, Galactic Edition v3 is pretty much 100% done. If, by chance, you were referring to the patch "Metroid + Saving v0.4 NotDone," that's what Snarfblam named that update in the patch filename. It's not my name for it and I'm not Snarfblam; I was just using the name they established.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2017, 06:18:22 am »
Would there be any issues if instead of Up+A I changed it to just Select?

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2017, 10:15:29 am »
Would there be any issues if instead of Up+A I changed it to just Select?

I think I tried that; that was my very first go-to for changing the saving combo, but sadly I couldn't get that to work.
According to snarfblam's instructions on the bitmask:
bit 7=A, bit 6=B, bit 5=SELECT, bit 4=START, bit 3=Up, bit 2=Down, bit 1=Left, bit 0=Right.

And this is what I got from a little debugging:
$80 - A button
$40 - B button
$20 - Select button
$10 - Start button
$08 - Up
$04 - Down
$02 - Left
$01 - Right

I tried changing the $88 (Up+A) value to just $20, but I couldn't get it to respond.
Try it for yourself though, perhaps I was doing something wrong back then and you might have better luck than I had. :)

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2017, 11:25:38 am »
I tried changing the $88 (Up+A) value to just $20, but I couldn't get it to respond.
Try it for yourself though, perhaps I was doing something wrong back then and you might have better luck than I had. :)

Isn't it Up+A on controller 2? Maybe you were trying the wrong controller. Just a thought. You'd have to change the register (or wherever it's kept in RAM.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2017, 12:23:23 pm »
Isn't it Up+A on controller 2? Maybe you were trying the wrong controller. Just a thought. You'd have to change the register (or wherever it's kept in RAM.
Yeah but I changed the code so that it reads from Controller #1 instead.
I posted about this some posts ago in this very thread (same page):
Quote from: ShadowOne333
For Metroid+Saving the code would be this in Hex:
A5 15 29 88 60 AD

Changing the 15 to 14 would make it so you can use Controller 1 to do the button combo to save the game at any time.
Changing the 88 to some other value depending on the bitmask would make it so that you can choose whatever button combo you desire.
I changed the 15 to 14 to read from Controller 1, but still changing the 88 to 20 doesn't make it so that Select enters the Save screen.
There could still be something else going on which I'm not familiar with, but it's worth still giving it a shot.

IAmCaptPlanet

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2017, 12:36:28 pm »
cool, i was hoping someone would implement saving like Rogue Dawn into regular (well mOTHER) Metroid.

i play everything on my Wii so using controller 2 means plugging in another wiimote, which sucks

romevi

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2017, 01:15:15 pm »
vivify93:

Thanks! (Sorry, on mobile. Otherwise I'd quote better.).

So it's complete. Wasn't sure if v3 was the final version but it is. Cheers! Going to have a buddy make this and Rogue Dawn into repros for me. These two for me are the definitive Metroid NES hacks. Incursion looks neat too.

firedropdl

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2017, 10:28:18 am »
Thanks so much to everyone involved in this hack.  This is absolutely amazing!!!

PordenoneDan2018

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2018, 01:31:27 pm »
Thank you guys so much for this awesome hack, I really enjoy it. It makes an old (but great) game feel new again. That being said I have a request and also something to share. I also love the Metroid.Lua Script and can’t play without it anymore. Which unfortunately causes a problem with beam stacking. So I decided to try and edit the Lua script myself, turns out it wasn’t very hard. My Lua script now allows beam stacking, I also moved the max missile count to match the new missile indicator position. Another thing I did was remove the game timer and block timer, for personal reasons. I am aware that some people like the timers so I am sharing two versions of the script.

Anyway on to my request, with the Lua script done I now have two automaps, I personally prefer the Lua one. After a lot of tinkering I think I was able to remove the automap on my rom, but I was unable to move the energy counter up to be flush with the rocket counter. After about ten hours of struggling I came to the conclusion that this level of editing was beyond me. So I am asking pretty please to anyone with enough rom hacking wherewithal to make this happen. If someone could remove the automap and move the energy counter on the Metroid mOTHER Galactic Edition-3 hack I would be very grateful.

Metroid.Lua https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z4yk5my55nwpt6z/AADAzOYwTXHnINo-2s88f-xoa?dl=0
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 01:42:41 pm by PordenoneDan2018 »

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2018, 12:12:46 pm »
... Metroid mOTHER Galactic Edition-3 hack ...

What is that?

PordenoneDan2018

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2018, 07:11:48 am »
Never mind I got it. A few hours with a hex editor taught me a lot. The hack now has the auto map removed and the energy tanks repositioned. I also fixed the missile sprites since they were coming out sideways. For anyone not sure how to use this my recommendation is to load MDbtroid.nes hack then load my Lua Script then drag and drop my hack onto your open emulator (I’m sure everyone here knows this, but just in case).

Enjoy
Again you can get Lua and Ips here.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z4yk5my55nwpt6z/AADAzOYwTXHnINo-2s88f-xoa?dl=0

firedropdl

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2018, 11:03:33 am »
Hey vivify93,

I know this is a very old post, so I hope I don't get any warnings about this since I'm adding info and a sort of review here since this wasn't an official patch for me to review through the normal channels.  :)

First of all, thanks a ton for putting all of these amazing hacks into one single patch.  I had this game patched since right around the time you first released your last version of it, but I only got around to playing it yesterday.  I'd never actually played any of the Metroid hacks before and it's probably been at least 10 years or maybe 15 since I last played NES Metroid.

That being said, all of these major improvements made the experience much more enjoyable than I thought they would.  I didn't beat the game so fast that I saw Samus rocking the bikini, but being that it's been so long since I played and I forgot pretty much where everything was, I thought it was cool that I got her to take off her helmet, which is something I never was able to do back in the day.  Not sure where exactly that puts me time-wise, but it's faster than I've ever beaten the game before.

I only noticed two bugs during my time playing it.  Not that they're game breaking or that I'd expect anybody to fix them.  God knows where the fly in the ointment would be when you've got all of this stuff going on.

1. When I was in the save screen and had 115 total missiles, it read "25 / 1 5".  For some reason the middle digit was missing.  I didn't save and check this every time I got an upgrade, but any time after my next pickup that I saw the save screen it wasn't missing a digit, all the way to "250 / 250".  (I was trying to beat it "fast" and couldn't figure out how to get that 2nd one near Ripley with that terrible jump so didn't quite max out missiles).

2. When in the 2nd to last room before Mother Brain, there are 3 Metroids that spawn by the door that are easy to farm for missiles and energy.  When you go back into the room to the right, sometimes one of the Metroids will go right into the door and grab you instead of hanging out underneath a platform by the door.  When this happens and you kill all 3 of them the screen will do this weird scroll to the left, you get all 3 powerup drops, and then Samus is invisible.  You can move the screen around back and forth and eventually she'll show up on the lefthand side of the screen and you can go through the door to the right again as if nothing happened.  Not a big deal, just thought it was weird.  Maybe the original game did this too?

Anyways...  Thanks to EVERYONE who made these awesome upgrades to this NES classic!!!!! I'm simply amazed that you were able to do so much stuff with this game.

EDITED TO ADD:

I highly recommend this hack to any fans of the original Metroid and the Metroid series in general.

If the original hack authors of all of the various hacks used together in "Galactic Edition" were on board with the idea, I think it would be great if this compilation patch was given its own official patch release. 

EDIT 2:

New Game + is cool.  :)

With everything fresh in my mind I was able to charge through the game and pick up about 170 missiles and 5 energy tanks and blow by Mother Brain quick enough to finally get the bikini ending. 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 12:14:02 pm by firedropdl »