News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Most Rockman NES rom hacks are too hard  (Read 3710 times)

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
Most Rockman NES rom hacks are too hard
« on: May 06, 2020, 03:56:51 am »
I like the classic Megaman games 1-6 on the NES, but I've played a lot of the rom hacks on this site and they are pretty killer. Usually I only download them if they are reviewed well and the players claim the difficulty is about the same as the original. But for some reason I can't even get through one stage on the majority of them. I also find most SMB1 hacks are pretty hard, while SMB3 and SMBW are usually pretty easy. Even the SMBW kaizo I got through the first stage but I had to use save states. Also, most Super Metroid games are pretty hard too. They expect you to do tricks like the infinite bomb jump, which disinterests me to play further.

Does anyone else agree, or do I just suck at gaming (lol)?
"Programming in itself is beauty,
whether or not the operating system actually functions." - Linus Torvalds

Ice Man

• View Profile
Re: Most Rockman NES rom hacks are too hard
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 04:53:05 am »
I don't agree at all.
I got through most Mega Man and Super Mario Bros. hack levels just fine.
I don't play Kaizo hacks at all because I don't see how that's fun using save states, not even mentioning on real hardware...

Perhaps you lack practice? ;)

Nosuch

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 04:34:52 pm »
I don't know about Mario hacks but I'm in agreement to some extent about Mega Man hacks. Granted, I haven't tried any in ages but I remember having similar luck. I don't know how much of it is just from unfamiliarity compared to some of the originals and how much of it is the actual difficulty or even my skill level.

I do remember some of them having cheap design in parts, though. In particular, there was one hack of the first game that put a small hole in the front of Ice Man's boss room. If you walked in, you slid to your death.

Worse, because the boss entrance code had already been activated, you couldn't even move when you respawned. All you could do was stand there at the respawn point and wait for those flying enemies (weren't they like bird bombs or something?) to knock you to your death again and again, because of course there were more holes.

The trick, apparently, was to make sure to jump through the boss gate. Still a pretty cheap trick to pull on a first time player, though.

gadesx

• View Profile
    • Gadesx scene
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 03:44:14 am »
Try Megaman Hyperion 3 or 5

Artemis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 07:53:27 am »
Also try stuff like Megaman 3 Revamped. That is, hacks with the aim to rebalance the game.

RetroGameFan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2020, 09:09:01 am »
while SMB3 and SMBW are usually pretty easy. Even the SMBW kaizo...
When you say "SMBW", you do mean SMW (Super Mario World), right? Not that I have any input or experience on playing Mega Man hacks. I'm just curious.

erpster2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2020, 01:58:31 am »
I wonder if the OP has ever played Megaman 4 Voyage?

after he plays that game, then he may change his stance on most megaman/rockman rom hacks being "too hard"

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2020, 01:04:17 pm »
I would say most RM/MM hacks are hardER than the original releases, yes.
But too hard is very relative statement.

I find that a lot of older hacks are indeed harder, but they are generally made for people that have already played the originals to death and want more challenges.
I tend tend not to like playing these either.