News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Metroid (NES) - mOTHER + 99 (full health) hack?  (Read 13890 times)

Krustentier7

• View Profile
Metroid (NES) - mOTHER + 99 (full health) hack?
« on: August 22, 2017, 07:51:43 pm »
Hey y'all. I'll get straight to the point, there are two significant improvement hacks for the original Metroid, mOTHER (http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1988/, lots of visual improvements + a save feature) and Metroid99 (http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/504/, start the game with full health). However, my attempts to use both patches simultaneously haven't been successful. Once I apply the mOTHER hack, Metroid99 essentially becomes inactive. The order in which you apply both hacks doesn't change this.

Has anyone figured out a way to use both hacks simultaneously? Can Metroid99 be folded into mOTHER somehow? I'd very much appreciate it if someone could help me out.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
Re: Metroid (NES) - mOTHER + 99 (full health) hack?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 07:32:31 am »
Looks like you're not the first person to mention this, but clearly the Mother hack is very substantial while the 99 hack should be very easy indeed. Hell, if you're playing in a debug emulator you could just change the RAM. I'll take a look though.

EDIT: okay, after comparing the original game, the Mother patch and the 99 patch, I think I've made a patch for Mother that gives you 99 when you start the game. As for your energy tanks, I have no idea because that would require me playing up to the point of getting an energy tank. :) It's a really simple hack, as I imagined. I'll just upload it to my website space for now, and if it works then I'll add it to the RHDN database. You should install it over the top of the Mother patch.

http://s346165667.websitehome.co.uk/psyktrans/metroid-mother99.zip

EDIT2: As expected, I just checked and it only gives you 99, and doesn't fill your energy tanks. The 99 patch uses a routine to take how many tanks you have at $6877, and adds that to your energy. To put that into this hack could be... interesting. I'll try.

EDIT3: Right, after too much work, I've got it sorted out. I've updated the IPS at that link, so just patch the Mother ROM and you'll recharge any tanks you have. :) I'll put it on the database soon.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 05:14:36 pm by Psyklax »

Krustentier7

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 07:47:20 pm »
Yessssssssssssssss, thank you so much!!!!! Really can't tell you how much I appreciate it. Cheers!

maseter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 01:08:01 am »
While you're at it Psyklax, could you do the same for:

Metroid Walljump https: //www.romhacking.net/hacks/1975/ (you must be spinning)
Metroid Automap https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1974/
(both hacks include the .asm source code)

They don't work in combination, or applied to "Metroid mOTHER".

You know what they say, thrice is the charm! :)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 01:18:29 am by maseter »

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 05:25:51 am »
While you're at it Psyklax, could you do the same for:

Metroid Walljump https: //www.romhacking.net/hacks/1975/ (you must be spinning)
Metroid Automap https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1974/
(both hacks include the .asm source code)

They don't work in combination, or applied to "Metroid mOTHER".

You know what they say, thrice is the charm! :)

I imagine they're more involved than the 99 hack. Plus the wall jump hack is doing something that messes with the physics of the original game and it wasn't designed that way, while the automap seems unnecessary when the Mother patch includes a more detailed map. Besides, Super Metroid doesn't have a map without pausing, and Metroid really doesn't need it. I only did the 99 cause I knew it'd be a piece of cake.

You can't keep throwing things at me, maseter, I do whatever hacks interest me. :P

maseter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 06:20:43 am »
>You can't keep throwing things at me

But that's my whole thing, throwing stuff out, hoping something sticks, why change a winning formula? :)

dACE

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 04:19:18 pm »
>You can't keep throwing things at me

But that's my whole thing, throwing stuff out, hoping something sticks, why change a winning formula? :)

This is quite common, people without skills of their own trying to get others to do what they can't do themselves.

Personally I dont get the necessity of a 99 health hack - just do a little grinding and plan your e-tank pickups and you're set.

/dACE

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 06:49:42 pm »
Someone actually did make a patch for mOTHER (And Metroid + Saving) that starts Samus up with 99 Energy, and full tanks, every time you start the game. http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=22948 It's quite nice.

Edit - http://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,2434.msg59042.html#msg59042 Corner map + wall jump as well here from Snarfblam--in their words, "I still have a little more work to do for the next 'official' version, but here it is in its current state. Metroid + Saving + Wavy Ice + Corner Map + Pause Map + Wall Jump."
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 02:01:18 am »
Someone actually did make a patch for mOTHER (And Metroid + Saving) that starts Samus up with 99 Energy, and full tanks, every time you start the game. http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=22948 It's quite nice.

Well I didn't know that. :) Besides, I didn't see it in the database. I just responded to what somebody asked about in this thread. I don't have a massive interest in this. :)

maseter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 03:38:38 am »
Well I didn't know that. :)
Thank god you didn't, because your 99 patch actually works, and without hassle.

Someone actually did make a patch for mOTHER (And Metroid + Saving)
Feel free to tell us how to do it this then, "Metroid [mOTHER].ips" + "Metroid Saving 0.4.notdone.ips" does not work here, no matter what i try, or which order, expanded or not.

Does it actually work for you, glitch free, as in confirmed?
And if yes, could you create a patch from it & share please?

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2017, 10:30:28 am »
I believe I have a ROM of snarfblam's latest 0.4 version working with an automatic refill hack.
Though I don't know where I found it or from whom, but last I checked it refills all Energy tanks in each game continue no matter what.

I'll create a patch tomorrow and post it here for those who want.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2017, 10:41:21 am »
Well I didn't know that. :) Besides, I didn't see it in the database. I just responded to what somebody asked about in this thread. I don't have a massive interest in this. :)
I wasn't being rude, and I didn't mean to come across that way. You helped out a lot and I'm sure Krustentier7 is grateful. I was just posting more information on the hack they asked for.

Edit 1 -
Feel free to tell us how to do it this then, "Metroid [mOTHER].ips" + "Metroid Saving 0.4.notdone.ips" does not work here, no matter what i try, or which order, expanded or not.

Does it actually work for you, glitch free, as in confirmed?
And if yes, could you create a patch from it & share please?
You want the mOTHER graphics on top of everything else, right? I'll see what I can do.

Edit 2 - It's done! Jesus, that took forever. I'll upload a patch here soon, but I will not upload it to the site without Snarfblam and dACE's permissions.

There's a couple more changes I think that should be made before it's considered "fully finished," though.

Firstly, the save button combination. You guys know how in Metroid: Rogue Dawn, you can save at any time by pausing, then pushing Select on controller 1, then also on controller 1, you press the A Button, and the B Button simultaneously? I think something similar should be done for Metroid mOTHER. Right now, it uses Pause, then on controller 2 you push D-Pad Up, then the A Button. To go along with the "ease of access" philosophy, I really think that it should all be on controller 1.

I was also wondering if Missile pickups should be a full 5 at a time instead of just 2, but would that make things too easy?

Edit 3 - I call it Metroid mOTHER: Galactic Edition.

http://www.bwass.org/bucket/Metroid_mOTHER_Galactic_Edition-3.zip (The old v2 link has been removed; only v3 remains, which fixes some graphical glitches and makes saving happen entirely on Controller 1)

I'm no super hacker; all I did was make patches and apply them, and pray! LMAO. So to clear up any confusion, I'll outline my process here:
- Applied Metroid mOTHER to a Metroid I ROM
- Applied Metroid + Saving v0.4 NotDone to another Metroid I ROM
- Applied Metroid + Saving v0.3 to yet another Metroid I ROM
- Incorporated nesrocks' Low Energy Alarm (10 NRG or less) and Full Energy mods to the Metroid + Saving v0.4 ROM
- Made a patch for Metroid + Saving by using v0.3 as the "original, unmodified ROM" and v0.4 (With nesrocks' enhancements) as the "new, modified ROM"
- Applied the above patch to Metroid mOTHER
- Did some rudimentary testing

I'm glad it worked. I pretty much went on instinct here and could've wound up with nothing to show for it. The whole game has not been tested, but everything seems alright.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 01:37:01 pm by vivify93 »

maseter

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2017, 11:33:02 am »
>I'll upload a patch here soon

*wink wink* https://www.sendspace.com/ :)

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2017, 11:35:37 am »
Look up above you, good sir! :)

maseter

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2017, 11:41:19 am »
I can confirm it working, here's the proof:

That's me wall jumping, whee! Great work, thanks.

How many patches are now combined in this total, 7?

Must be some sort of compilation record. :)

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2017, 11:49:03 am »
Some Final Fantasy VI mods combine like over 50+ patches. But this may be a record for a (non-Super) Metroid title. :p

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2017, 11:56:53 am »
I wasn't being rude, and I didn't mean to come across that way. You helped out a lot and I'm sure Krustentier7 is grateful. I was just posting more information on the hack they asked for.

I didn't really think of it as rude. To be honest I'm more of a translations person than a hack person. You can hack Metroid until it's a different game, but as someone who's completed it several times, I think all this hacking is a bit much. A map is nice, saving fine if you for some reason can't use save states. Even the 99 energy thing isn't that big of a deal in my opinion. But then I'm pretty good at Metroid. 8)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2017, 12:48:18 pm »

Personally I dont get the necessity of a 99 health hack - just do a little grinding and plan your e-tank pickups and you're set.

/dACE

I'm guessing it's because the original Metroid respawns you after each death (and from passwords, since there's no save points unlike all later games) with only 30 health which can kill you in one or two hits and it's kind of annoying to grind every time.
(also for example, Samus can get a cheap hit from enemies that can fly out and hit her while walking through a door. So there's one of your two hits. :P )
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2017, 02:34:19 pm »
I'm guessing it's because the original Metroid respawns you after each death (and from passwords, since there's no save points unlike all later games) with only 30 health which can kill you in one or two hits and it's kind of annoying to grind every time.
(also for example, Samus can get a cheap hit from enemies that can fly out and hit her while walking through a door. So there's one of your two hits. :P )
More so in Tourian.
It's annoying to get out and grind for like half an hour  at least just to get a shot at Mother Brain.
The 30 energy thing at respawn is just annoying, has nothing to do with being good at the game.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2017, 03:21:22 pm »
So I just found a small bug of when you get out of Brinstar, the new "E" and Missile indicators revert to the "...." and the right half of the old Missile indicator. I've fixed it, and I also did some minor behind-the-scenes updates, but I'm not gonna put a new version up yet. I really want it to be made so that saving can be done all on one controller--that's worth a new full update to me.

August 29, 2017, 12:50:51 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
http://www.bwass.org/bucket/Metroid_mOTHER_Galactic_Edition-3.zip

Snarfblam kindly told me which byte to change to make it so you only need Controller 1 to save. Pause, then press Up+A on Controller 1 to be taken to the save screen. You shouldn't need the A Button at all on the pause menu--scrolling the map is done with the D-Pad and unpausing requires the Start Button. But remember not to press A while perusing the full map just in case, OK?

This also fixes the minor issues with the Energy and Missile displays that I mentioned earlier in this post.

Enjoy. :)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 01:06:49 am by vivify93 »