Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - Quality hack [PSX]

Started by paul_met, August 20, 2017, 02:31:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dooberknob

It's amazing that a modder has figured out how to do what Konami couldn't do with any of the subsequent re-releases/ports.

FeRcHuLeS

Is it possible add to Richter the backdash just like Julius by using his stopping sprites?? and being able to release a weapon like a Holy cross by picking another Holy Cross for example, so that the Flame Whip is available by item crushing again.

paul_met

Quote from: FeRcHuLeS on May 20, 2020, 12:20:05 PM
Is it possible add to Richter the backdash just like Julius by using his stopping sprites?? and being able to release a weapon like a Holy cross by picking another Holy Cross for example, so that the Flame Whip is available by item crushing again.
This type of hack does not involve changes in the game mechanics. Similar suggestions should be addressed in other topics.
Meduza Team

FeRcHuLeS

#83
Oh I see, then how about balancing Richter taking damage, is high at the beggining of the game.

I've just read the first post, then don't mind, I've posted the wrong topic, sorry.

Spooniest

The CD loading room between the Royal Chapel/Reverse Chapel and the Coliseum (next to the 2x2 chapel room, where the Spectral Sword is in Regular Castle and the Spectral Sword w/shields and spears is in the Reverse Castle) is still blue on the map.

Also, just checking, there are now 1896 rooms right?
Yamero~~!

paul_met

Small update of modification. The list of changes in the 1st message of the topic.
The patch is only available on my website so far.
Meduza Team

Spooniest

Yamero~~!

Spooniest

Do the 3 rooms added in each Castle count towards map completion or not?

There are 1890 rooms in the vanilla version. Adding these 6 rooms would make it 1896.

I asked this a long time ago, but it was never addressed.
Yamero~~!

paul_met

Quote from: Spooniest on June 30, 2021, 09:17:48 AM
Do the 3 rooms added in each Castle count towards map completion or not?

There are 1890 rooms in the vanilla version. Adding these 6 rooms would make it 1896.

I asked this a long time ago, but it was never addressed.
It's easy to check it yourself. The room counter is displayed in the pause menu.
Meduza Team

Spooniest

#89
Quote from: paul_met on June 30, 2021, 11:57:55 AM
It's easy to check it yourself. The room counter is displayed in the pause menu.

In fact I did just that shortly after posting and felt like a dummy for not doing it before posting, but thank you for your prompt attention to the matter.

Yes, they count... So where am I missing rooms? ? ?

I hate this mechanic lol

Edit: So, there are not, an equal, number of rooms, in the regular castle, as in, the upside down one.

I cannot believe I have been playing this game since it came out and have not realized this.

There are 6 more rooms in the upside down castle.

Regular Castle, 942+3 = 945
Upside Down Castle, 948+3 = 951.

1896 total.

Welp, now I know as they say
Yamero~~!

mirage548

i play ur patch + hard version 4.6 and was amazing, can u make this patch compatible with JAP version or the saturn version?

highlander

it's possible to fix in menu/spells: the wing smash move showing "?" + up... + "?"
in place of "x" + up... + "x" ?

duo_r

HI - love the idea of this patch. I downloaded the patch, and patched a clean ROM of this game. The bootup screen shows 1.3 in the upper right, but the borders still exist. Any idea why that is? I am playing on a Xstation system that also has PS1Digital HDMI mod.

paul_met

Quote from: duo_r on January 09, 2022, 05:51:55 PM
HI - love the idea of this patch. I downloaded the patch, and patched a clean ROM of this game. The bootup screen shows 1.3 in the upper right, but the borders still exist. Any idea why that is? I am playing on a Xstation system that also has PS1Digital HDMI mod.
The patch should be applied not to the data track, but to the full image of the game with the checksum specified in the patch description.
Meduza Team

MD_Prometh

Is it possible to apply the fan translation to this hack?

Neveranine

#95
Man, I'm playing it on an old CRT and this is awesome, thank you.
Could it be possible that you ported the black bars removal to the japanese version? I don't have anything against the USA version, but the best translation to my language is the one of the japanese version. The translation to spanish of the USA is quite bad. If you could do that we and many others would be eternally grateful (even more).
Anyway, thanks again for the awesome job.

paul_met

Quote from: Neveranine on January 24, 2022, 04:51:43 AM
Man, I'm playing it on an old CRT and this is awesome, thank you.
Could it be possible that you ported the black bars removal to the japanese version? I don't have anything against the USA version, but the best translation to my language is the one of the japanese version. The translation to spanish of the USA is quite bad. If you could do that we and many others would be eternally grateful (even more).
Anyway, thanks again for the awesome job.
The Japanese and American versions are too different. It's like hacking from the scratch. So I'm not interested in the Japanese version of the game. Maybe other people will take care of it.
Meduza Team

ceevee

Thanks a lot for this QoL hack. It works great.

FYI for anyone trying this: Loading a save state that was created before the game was patched will result in not seeing the QoL changes. So either start a new game, or load from an in game save file (i.e. from PS1 memory card). Then you can create a new save state and use it just fine.