My question really isn't at all about the value of headers on FDS roms so much as what standard was used when making translations.
The answer, no matter how frustrating it may be, is that there is NO standard....
I find myself in a bad position now with The Legend of Zelda translation. The readme lists "added header" to one of the changes made to the game. http://www.romhacking.net/translations/fds/patches/2958readme.txt
I've run the exact same rom through the patch with a header (3FBDDDCD) and without a header (EE11AA63). I was hoping when it was done that I'd get the same CRC. That didn't happen.
Both patched roms have the same header, and patching the headered version didn't add a second header. So what happened?
Who the hell knows. Doing a compare of both files in HxD shows that 126 random bytes are different between the two games now throughout the entire file!!!!!!!
I'm just going to go with the non-headered version of the rom for patching since the instructions specifically state that adding a header was one of the changes to the game.
If anybody has any ideas about what the changes to the 126 random bytes would be all about I'd love to hear your theories.
FINAL VERDICT FOR ZELDA PATCH: Using the patched headerless version that the patch adds a header to seems to be the way to go, although I didn't test the other one. I played through the first dungeon and went into a few shops without any issues and the text was all translated into English.
Man...... I'm glad there are only 37 FDS translations. Did I say that before?
Monty on the Run - http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1545/
ROM / ISO Information:
Monty on the Run - Monty no Doki Doki Dai Dassou (Japan) [b.].fds
MD5: bad dump D485DC135BE2DA04F38CCA6EA592C146
Headerless CRC: F37893B9
With Header CRC: 43E74CCB
Beat throws an error with both roms.
Beat patch applied to Headerless CRC: 43415f7e
Beat patch applied to Header CRC: f329655c
IPS patch applied to Headerless CRC: af4611bb
IPS patch applied to Header CRC: 2d0ce3ce
lol.... which to choose, huh?
TESTING ON MONTY OUTPUT ROMS:
Beat Patch, With Header: Plays well. Text in title and beginning screens before action is in english. Beat Patch, No Header: Game won't even start. Emulator says "Format not recognized". I looked at this in HxD and it's ALL "0"'s!!!!
IPS Patch, With Header: Plays well. Text in title and beginning screens before action is in english. IPS Patch, No Header: FDS BIOS starts, but when it loads the disk it says "Disk Trouble Err.25".
I guess I'll just go with the IPS patch. There's no scientific reasoning for choosing that one, but Beat threw an actual error. I know Lunar won't do that, but what I don't know won't hurt me, right?
Whoops.... I forgot that if using IPS that you needed to use the included diskexpand.exe.... Hopefully I get the same final CRC results for both patch types when that's done.
Nevermind.... It doesn't look like diskexpand does anything to the rom. Both headered (43e74ccb) and non headered (f37893b9) versions of the rom are the same size and have the same CRC after running the program with the Monty_expand.txt. It doesn't even add a header to the non-headered rom, so I don't know why it's included since it doesn't do anything.Monty_expand.txt
Same CRC after the program is run on the headered rom. Running the Beat patch on these doesn't actually change the size of the rom either... but something is different because there is a different CRC in the end.
So... I'm going to go with the BPS patch instead. Even though Beat throws an error, it's doing something that the IPS patch doesn't do because of the different CRC value in the end. It might be doing what the diskexpand.exe program is attempting to do. I dunno...