News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Sylvanian Families - The Fairyland Pendant English Translation Patch Released!  (Read 38041 times)

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Well, since you can still go to school during "jiyuu toukou", neither "school's out" nor "vacation time" really work.

Anyway, "RPG Maker" isn't terribly far off the mark...the game is fully moddable. Once the VWF code is in place, you can theoretically rip the game's guts out and rewire them any way you see fit.

One of these days, my util "Burn My Dread" will probably act as an editor for everything, but right now it's a shambolic script analyzer that makes educated guesses as to where the script jumps are. Oh, did I mention that part already? The game's script is actually a mess of proprietary bytecode wrapped around the actual text. I had to modify Atlas to do the thing by hand without going insane. For 2 and 3...Burn My Dread will just have to get an upgrade. ^_^

(Can't wait for that, BTW. Atlas delayed the release to June from its original February date, which is good because it means we'll probably be getting the bonus content from the special edition due out in Japan in April. "I once ran away from the God of Fear and he chained me into despair...")

...And yes, the fairies are arguably the worst thing about this game. Problem is, they're ubiquitous through the first four games as well as Melodies, although the one in SF4 actually looks cute. It seems that they're always at the root of some problem...

Another "before and after" detail: for a while, their parting "We'll be waiting for you, Aster!" ended with an ellipsis instead of an exclamation point, making them unintentionally creepy(ier).
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
Well, since you can still go to school during "jiyuu toukou", neither "school's out" nor "vacation time" really work.

Ah, I see. Marf. >_>

Anyway, "RPG Maker" isn't terribly far off the mark...the game is fully moddable. Once the VWF code is in place, you can theoretically rip the game's guts out and rewire them any way you see fit.

Using TheCheat, I presume? I haven't tried it yet... I'm going to go back to my LTTP hack and fix the little bugs someone found... and which "ruined" their experience of it. >_>

One of these days, my util "Burn My Dread" will probably act as an editor for everything, but right now it's a shambolic script analyzer that makes educated guesses as to where the script jumps are. Oh, did I mention that part already? The game's script is actually a mess of proprietary bytecode wrapped around the actual text. I had to modify Atlas to do the thing by hand without going insane. For 2 and 3...Burn My Dread will just have to get an upgrade. ^_^

(Can't wait for that, BTW. Atlas delayed the release to June from its original February date, which is good because it means we'll probably be getting the bonus content from the special edition due out in Japan in April. "I once ran away from the God of Fear and he chained me into despair...")

You spoke to me in Chinese there, LMAO! XD

...And yes, the fairies are arguably the worst thing about this game. Problem is, they're ubiquitous through the first four games as well as Melodies, although the one in SF4 actually looks cute. It seems that they're always at the root of some problem...

Another "before and after" detail: for a while, their parting "We'll be waiting for you, Aster!" ended with an ellipsis instead of an exclamation point, making them unintentionally creepy(ier).

I'm thinking of somewhat replacing the fairies with the ones from Zelda! LMAO. Actually, I'v been thinking of totally modifying the game's graphics and making everyone human... But then... It'd only be half as interesting... Maybe just Aster and her parents... >_> Then again, if I learn how to play around with the script... I might make Aster a guy... Hmmmm...
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
I'm thinking of somewhat replacing the fairies with the ones from Zelda! LMAO. Actually, I'v been thinking of totally modifying the game's graphics and making everyone human... But then... It'd only be half as interesting... Maybe just Aster and her parents... >_> Then again, if I learn how to play around with the script... I might make Aster a guy... Hmmmm...

You bad, bad Sylvanian molester!
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile

You bad, bad Sylvanian molester!

LMAO!!! WTF, why?! XD
Who will quote me next?

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Using TheCheat, I presume? I haven't tried it yet... I'm going to go back to my LTTP hack and fix the little bugs someone found... and which "ruined" their experience of it. >_>

Actually, using a mix of Tile Molester, WindHex and some wholesale script modifications. TheCheat helped in the late stage, for formatting the game's VWF text.

You spoke to me in Chinese there, LMAO! XD

"Burn My Dread" is the util I wrote in the late stages of my project to help me hammer out the last pieces of script by auto-detecting the jumps in the event code. It's also the theme song to Persona 3. Figure that in and the rest is obvious.

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
Yeah, I'm not advanced enough yet, so I have no clue what you're talking about- Although I do know about Tile Molester...

BTW, I now have fine male rabbit Aster!  :-X And the cutscene where she's with her mom's sorta done, except I didn't notice the mat's square design... So now there's a huge white part in the mat! LMAO!!! XD
Who will quote me next?

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
On the topic of switching Aster to a male protagonist.

http://sylvanian-families.net/Album/DandelionButterglove.html

Meet Figwort Dandelion, on the far right. (Dear God, that name's almost as bad as "Asparagus".) You can base your male hero on him.

Side note.

http://www.sylvanianfamilies.com/product_info.php?products_id=502

Meet the (Butter)Milk Rabbit family, a.k.a. the Periwinkles, who make their grand debut in Sylvanian Families 4: Tapestry of the Seasons. Rebecca on the far right is the protagonist of that game. Oliver, the brother, is on the far left.

...While you're fiddling with sprites, why don't you try modding some characters into costumes from, say, Xenosaga? Or Shin Megami Tensei/Avatar Tuner/Devil Summoner/Persona?

MegaManJuno

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Robot Master
    • View Profile
2 words: Transylvanian Families...  :P

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
I had a weird idea once of using, in my sig, a pic of Aster with Hitoshura's characteristic green-and-black lines on her face. Now that's one bunny you wouldn't want to mess with. *hums the first few bars of "Hunting" from DDS1*

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
On the topic of switching Aster to a male protagonist.

http://sylvanian-families.net/Album/DandelionButterglove.html

Meet Figwort Dandelion, on the far right. (Dear God, that name's almost as bad as "Asparagus".) You can base your male hero on him.

Side note.

http://www.sylvanianfamilies.com/product_info.php?products_id=502

Meet the (Butter)Milk Rabbit family, a.k.a. the Periwinkles, who make their grand debut in Sylvanian Families 4: Tapestry of the Seasons. Rebecca on the far right is the protagonist of that game. Oliver, the brother, is on the far left.

...While you're fiddling with sprites, why don't you try modding some characters into costumes from, say, Xenosaga? Or Shin Megami Tensei/Avatar Tuner/Devil Summoner/Persona?

:P I've never played those games but I could find pics and try it out! LMAO.

Oi, and towards Figwort Dandelion... Ehhh... I'm actually just cutting the skirt a bit and putting Aster in overalls! XD When I'm finished with graphics I'll try tinkering with the text when I figure out how to... >_> Sometimes, I feel as if I'm overwhelming myself... >_>
Who will quote me next?

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Mmm, the text. That's the evil part.

Maybe you haven't caught yet, but the text is the part that made me scrap the project in the middle of 2005. Then I rewrote parts of Atlas back in January and went back to work.

It's all event code with script jumps wrapped around text. That's what Burn My Dread was supposed to be for...of course, in the end I just left it as a kludgy script parser and used it to assist me in manually editing the game's scripts. ^_^;

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
Sounds like text was... Not very easy. O.O
Who will quote me next?

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Not the text per se, but the formatting was harder than it had any right to be. I rewrote Atlas with three custom functions:

1. "JUMP"-type embedded pointers, to handle the relative jump instructions.

2. "SFLIST" command, to handle the game's extensive Select Case/Switch-type blocks. (This is actually one part of a trifecta, which also includes "ADDLIST" and "ENDLIST".)

3. "SF"-type pointers, to handle the game's curiously-formatted 24-bit pointers (bank byte first, then 16-bit little-endian).

One day, Burn My Dread will hopefully be a full-fledged tool for handling this stuff. I made quite a few breakthroughs, including working out how to reposition the pointer blocks (positioned inconveniently at the end of every script block)...in some ways, this game is actually the best possible scenario, seeing how I was able to do things simply by modifying the script that would have required extensive ASM diving in other cases. Try booting up the unpatched ROM and take a good look at the items screen...

DragonmasterX

• View Profile
Did you get the name "burn my dread" from Persona 3? Or is it just a coincidence?

I originally couldn't hear the lyrcis too well and thought it was "burn my bread."

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Yes, "Burn My Dread" is from Persona 3. I have a thing about SMT in-jokes in my util names. Back when I was still doing everything by hand, I wrote an app in Multimedia Fusion called "Kagutsuchi" to help me handle the game's case routines. (It wasn't a random choice. I first encountered them in reference to furniture...or "kagu". XD) And my custom Atlas calls itself Hitoshura SF.

Nowadays I've diversified...my Patlabor utils are, of course, Special Compression Division 2 and Special Extraction Division 2, and the one I wrote for Bistro Recipe is called GluttonCamp. (That's actually intended as a reference to Homestar Runner, not "Fighting Foodons", and it's not the only Homestar reference in my utils...check out TheCheat. ^_^)

Though the app I've written to combat Melodies' compression is still halfway an in-joke. It's called "Meguriai", which is a song from the Gundam movies (you might know the title as "Encounters"), but I had the idea to call it that from the (etymologically unrelated) name "Meguro", as in "Shoji Meguro", the composer for the Shin Megami Tensei series.

RedComet

• View Profile
    • Twilight Translations
Though the app I've written to combat Melodies' compression is still halfway an in-joke. It's called "Meguriai", which is a song from the Gundam movies (you might know the title as "Encounters"), but I had the idea to call it that from the (etymologically unrelated) name "Meguro", as in "Shoji Meguro", the composer for the Shin Megami Tensei series.

Meguriai is an awesome song. *gundam nerd shuffle*
Twilight Translations - More than just Dragonball Z. :P

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Shame that Bandai is content to bury the series and/or leave its English dub work to monkeys. Zeta was intolerable. I only use "Kamille Bidan" out of consistency with the official English material, not out of respect for it.

So anyways. I found what appear to be all the graphics pointers grouped together in one place. Meguriai now rips all the graphics out in one go. ^_^ Now all I have to do is make it possible to reinsert them all in one go as well...