News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Breath of Fire II  (Read 23444 times)

byuu

• View Profile
    • A farewell message
Re: Translations: Breath of Fire II
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2006, 03:46:23 am »
Your statement is rather vague, but I generate each sample one at a time at their correct times. So obviously, the S-DSP routine is called and generates exactly one sample ~32,000 times a second. On the real SNES, of course, the S-DSP runs much faster than 32khz, and uses it's extra time to perform memory fetches and internal calculations (output rate is still 32khz, of course). Nobody in the SNES emulation scene has the skill necessary for determining what and when the S-DSP is fetching, so current emulation as in bsnes is about as accurate as you're going to get. anomie wrote the core, and he basically read back the mixed results and compared to his emulation to get it to where it is today.
I should also mention that any "is this an emulator?" checks that rely on more than 32khz precision of the S-DSP would be extremely unreliable on real hardware as well. The S-SMP isn't fast enough and lacks true precision timers necessary to accurately gauge interactions between it and the S-DSP at the clock level.

SNES9x and ZSNES run several samples at the same time, but they tend to invalidate their caches under certain conditions anyway, so the results are pretty close. You should be more shocked that ZSNES doesn't even have opcode timing for its' S-SMP (SPC700) emulation. It treats nop and div as taking the same amount of time to complete.

As for your VRAM question, perhaps you're not taking into account that each tilemap entry has a 10-bit character index, giving you 1,024 tiles to work with per BG. I often stick 8x8 variable-width tiledata after the 8x8 font in VRAM. This is usually reserved for textbox data or something. You can use extra memory around it, or use it all when the textbox isn't onscreen anyway. And if d4s were so inclined, moving the location of the tiledata in VRAM is doable, too (eg if there is background data immediately after the 256 characters used by the 8x8 font). But way more work.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2006, 03:59:25 am »
I've offered to help do the script for the English version...not sure I can do the whole thing, but since Bistro Recipe has stalled, the remaining 9 months of the Flower Dictionary and its Matchmaker friend loom over Sylvanian Families like a RPG-issue Dark Tower o' Doom and Patlabor is going to require a buttload of additional hacking work, I might have the creative juices left over to crank out a quality script.

It doesn't help matters that Rise of Legends is so damn addictive...T_T;
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

d4s

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2006, 07:43:26 am »
Quote from: byuu
Ah, sorry if you didn't want anyone knowing about those messages, heheh.
I was thinking they were some kind of hidden "insult message" to anyone who tried to break your copier warning. You did say something about "good luck finding that one" or similar on your website. I'm now guessing you added checks against that code later in the game that screw it up in all kinds of fun ways, heh. At least, that's what I'll be doing with my translations.

its alright, not erasing them before release was my own fault. ;)
i think the sole purpose of the first one without the pointer was to hide "d4s" in the compressed file.

I only needed one small hint, because I was looking in the wrong place entirely :P
I would've known this as well had I tried playing the game on my copier. But it's such a pain to split the ROM and copy them to floppies and drag out the copier and ... v_v;

yeah, its a pain in the ass.
plus, i dont have a single copier that has completely intact dram, so i wasnt able to
pass the checksum test on any of them. (had to manually set the chsum-passed-flag in sram)

Still, very nice work. Your assembly code was quite clean and well done compared to other ROM hackers that I've seen. I liked your decompression routine, too.

thanks. =)
i'm glad that it at least looks clean when assembled, cause my sourcecode is a complete mess. ;)

Basically, d4s used probably the one thing I cannot emulate without serious hardware reverse engineering, of which I am not capable of performing. But, since he chose to take advantage of my one weakness, I think I'll start documenting what I can on it anyway. Perhaps I can get lucky and get "just enough" support in there to beat his test :P
And before anyone complains about accuracy ... we've now officially tested every commercial Japanese game ever dumped, and ~30% of all other region games, and not a single one relies on the same trick d4s used in his test.

yeah, but i wasnt trying to attack you or take advantage of your weakness.
choosing the one thing thats hardest to emulate in order to detect emulators just seemed to be the most logical thing to do.

byuu

• View Profile
    • A farewell message
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2006, 03:50:22 pm »
i think the sole purpose of the first one without the pointer was to hide "d4s" in the compressed file.

Ah, huffman works best for keeping amateurs from modifying your work :)
No trace of any characters from the original text.

yeah, but i wasnt trying to attack you or take advantage of your weakness.
choosing the one thing thats hardest to emulate in order to detect emulators just seemed to be the most logical thing to do.

Ah, sorry if I made it seem like that's what I was saying. Nah, I would've done the same thing. Use the hardest thing to emulate to determine the presence of an emulator. But again, you know me, heh. Now I'm going to have to try and emulate it :P

Dice

« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2006, 11:44:40 am »
I've offered to help do the script for the English version...not sure I can do the whole thing, but since Bistro Recipe has stalled, the remaining 9 months of the Flower Dictionary and its Matchmaker friend loom over Sylvanian Families like a RPG-issue Dark Tower o' Doom and Patlabor is going to require a buttload of additional hacking work, I might have the creative juices left over to crank out a quality script.

It doesn't help matters that Rise of Legends is so damn addictive...T_T;

FOr a patch this nice, I'm sure non-German speaking peoples would love and supprt your effots. =)

I gotta say though, this is down right amazing, well hacked and everything!!