News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT (regarding Photobucket hotlinking)  (Read 3578 times)

Bonesy

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
Please stop using Photobucket for images due to their recent stances on 3rd-party-hotlinking. Find an alternative such as imgur.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 12:39:07 pm by KingMike »

Josephine Lithius

• THE WORLD IS MINE!!
    • View Profile
    • Jo Li KMC @ Tumblr
Re: PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT WHERE EVERYONE CAN SEE IT
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 06:37:40 am »
For those who don't know what Isao Kronos it talking about, back in late June/early July, Photobucket decided to ax support for external linking for free and Pro users alike.  This decision was made because the site was losing money -- and a lot of it!  Since then, free and Pro users' linked images have been replaced with something along these lines:

Following the URL in the image leads to a new payment plan page.  This new plan -- which is completely independent from the previous "Pro" plan -- allows users to link and display their images on the web from Photobucket... for about $400.00 USD annually.

Photobucket did this with very little warning, sending out e-mails to everyone only after the fact.  Amusingly (or frustratingly), some mail services (like GMail) recognized the e-mail as junk mail and some people never got it, to begin with -- myself, included.  Luckily, I'd already migrated elsewhere years prior since the redesigned interface wasn't working for me.  But, I digress.

The point of this (currently unsanctioned) PSA is to warn and/or remind users that Photobucket is no longer allowing external linking of image.  I'm also not sure they're allowing users to use pass-through links (posting URLs instead of IMGs) but I haven't tried.  So, for now, it's probably best that you guys find alternate image hosting sites such as the aforementioned Imgur, PostImage, Tinypic, or other sites which allow external linking.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 12:23:27 pm »
$400 a year to be allowed to hotlink? :o

I mean I understand a fee, but seriously...?
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

goldenband

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 12:35:40 pm »
I'm surprised by how many people don't know about this yet! That said, I think the title might be more helpful (i.e. get the attention of more clueless PB users) if it were "PSA: DON'T USE PHOTOBUCKET" or something like that.

Right now you have to bother clicking on the thread to see what it's about. The kind of person who hasn't yet heard about the Photobucket fiasco is, perhaps, also likely to be the kind of person who doesn't bother clicking on info threads. :)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT (regarding Photobucket hotlinking)
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 12:39:58 pm »
I agree, title should've mentioned the nature of the thread.

Lenophis

• Discord Staff
  • The return of the sombrero!
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 01:10:16 pm »
Please stop using Photobucket for images due to their recent stances on 3rd-party-hotlinking. Find an alternative such as imgur.
Ummm, imgur disabled third party linking for the most part as well. You have to request to be whitelisted, which they don't have to grant.

https://ff6randomizer.codeplex.com/ - Randomize your FF6 experience!

Josephine Lithius

• THE WORLD IS MINE!!
    • View Profile
    • Jo Li KMC @ Tumblr
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 02:17:17 pm »

Mega Man 7-style Tempo can't believe you'd make such baseless accusations.

In all seriousness, I started using Imgur back in 2012 and I've never once had a problem linking images.  I don't see anything regarding enabling or disabling external linking in the settings, either.  However, I did stumble upon this interesting little tidbit in the Terms of Service page:
Quote from: Imgur Terms of Service
Also, don't use Imgur to host image libraries you link to from elsewhere, content for your website, advertising, avatars, or anything else that turns us into your content delivery network.
… … …
Avatars are more or less what I have been using them for.
It's probably not a problem, though, since I don't use an excessive amount of bandwidth.

Probably...
I'd still advise against it, though...?

goldenband

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 02:44:26 pm »
I used to use Tinypic a lot, but they really went downhill over the past couple years. Lots of outages, failed uploads, sketchy ads, captchas every second image...

Corvo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 03:05:17 pm »
This seems to be par for the course for every image and downloading service (Mega, Turboload).
There's a period where they want to attract users, so anything goes. Hotlinking, generous bandwidth, no limits.
Then one or two years later, they start to see their coffers aren't getting filled, but emptying. They start limiting stuff.
Then they die.

I mean, we thought stuff like Rapidshare and Megaupload were a given, and where are they today? Dead.
I imagine youtube will follow soon, Google never even tried to hide that youtube is always in the red.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 03:06:16 pm »
You could just get some web space, like me. :D

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 03:11:07 pm »
In all seriousness, I started using Imgur back in 2012 and I've never once had a problem linking images.  I don't see anything regarding enabling or disabling external linking in the settings, either.  However, I did stumble upon this interesting little tidbit in the Terms of Service page:… … …
Avatars are more or less what I have been using them for.
It's probably not a problem, though, since I don't use an excessive amount of bandwidth.

I wonder if Twitch Plays Pokemon would be an example of that, namely "sidegames".
That is, during the months of 24/7 PBR betting they added a feature where chat VERY SLOWLY plays an additional GBC/GBA game, to the tune of one button input for every PBR match. A bot screencaps after every input and uploads to imgur. Someone else ran a website that would display all the screenshots, so users could attempt to follow. Eventually the mirror stopped being up-to-date. One previous game they did link to an imgur album (within imgur's site), but that became impractical to follow once the game reached thousands of screens.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2017, 11:35:52 pm »
How is imgbb ?  I've seen that come up once or twice.  It looks pretty cool.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2017, 02:32:33 am »
You could just get some web space, like me. :D

Ditto. I don't understand why most people active on the web don't just buy some web hosting. It's like $5 a month, and a domain for $10-15 per year. Then you can host whatever you want. Beats the hell out of some image hosting service.

EDIT: You get your own email addresses too.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 07:32:32 pm by filler »