News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Wip projects for the 7th saga (Snes)  (Read 13741 times)

slidelljohn

• View Profile
Re: Wip projects for the 7th saga (Snes)
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2019, 12:30:45 am »
Yes J is for John. A .exe does sound ridiculous for a digital guide but I want the digital guide to be able to extract the graphics and data out of the rom. I don’t think a pdf can extract data from a rom.

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2019, 12:49:54 am »
Ah, well to do something like that then yeah a PDF would be out, I had a different image in mind for when you said "digital 7th saga players guide".

slidelljohn

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2019, 01:07:13 am »
I still have a lot to think about with the digital guide. Who knows I may decide to just use a pdf. It’s a lot to think about and I don’t really have the time to work on the digital guide right now but it is something that I would eventually like to make even if the digital guide doesn’t actually load the data from a rom.

Here is a patch for increasing the level limit from 80 to 99:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/4u506riizu34l15/7th_Saga%252C_The_%2528U%2529_%255B%2521%255D_level_99.ips/file

New level data can be found in the rom at c0:ed00-c0:ee2b. Level up at 81-99 still needs to have a balanced level up value.
I'll see about writing a small program to easily be able to edit these values. If you want to easily test this go into a battle
and change ram address at 7e:1dc2 to 0x4e which is your current level. And also change 7e:1dd5-7e:1dd7 to 0xff, 0xff, 0xff which is your experience points. Doing this should get you up to level 99.

Some of you may or may not know about the zero damage bug in 7th saga. If you start a new game and use kamil, go fight a hermit and defend and odds are you will get zero damage. Now if you get a level up and defend and the hermits attack you will get 1 damage. How does it go from zero damage on level 1 to 1 damage on level 2. Well when it calculates the damage if the damage that you are supposed to receive is zero you will get zero damage and if the damage that you are supposed to receive is less than zero you will get 1 damage. There is 2 ways to fix this bug. Ether have it to where you can never receive zero damage or if damage that you are supposed to receive is less than zero, instead of it making you get 1 damage make it give you zero damage. For fix #2 you can just change this:
$C2/7C2C A9 01 00    LDA #$0001

to this:
$C2/7C2C A9 00 00    LDA #$0000

That will make damage less than zero, zero. To do fix #1 I would have to do a little asm work to fix it but not much. What do
you all think would be the best option to fix this bug, fix #1 or fix #2? I'm leaning towards if damage is ever zero or less it should always be 1. I don't think there should ever be zero damage but I would like to here other peoples opinions on this.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 04:40:45 am by slidelljohn »

Zorlac

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2019, 04:16:46 pm »
Would love to see a super accurate re-translation to Elnard. Anyone know if this is being worked on??? Fond memories of The 7th Saga when I was in high school...the game seriously kicked my arse lol

Besides the Encyclopedia of Adventure, what other merchandise was released for this game?

I found a few interesting things!

http://sevensongs.ocremix.org

https://mangahelpers.com/m/seventh-saga

https://goldenagerpgs.com/sfc_snes-guide-books/elnard-the-encyclopedia-of-adventure/
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 11:25:41 pm by Zorlac »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2019, 03:26:56 pm »
Also I'm looking to get all magazines that have 7th saga ads in them. Does anyone know what magazines have the 7th saga ads in them?
I can't recall how many ads exactly. But I'd say probably the EGMs, GamePros and whatever from late '93 probably. I know there is a site that has scans of old ("pre-2000") game magazines. But I don't think I can link to it.
You could probably check there.
"Which magazines have 7th Saga ads" is a quite-specific criteria I don't think people have taken note of. :)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

butane bob

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2019, 04:42:39 pm »
the game seriously kicked my arse lol

Yeah the western release was ten times harder than the original Japanese version.

Zorlac

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2019, 01:31:37 am »
So who do we ask on here about interest in starting a proper Elnard translation project?

Also, I would love to see a ROM map, script dump, graphics dump of Elnard and Seventh Saga to compare differences.

Scans and translated manuals/documentation would be nice too.

I would start if I had the tools. Unfortunately I am not a programmer though. But I would be willing to help with other tasks.

slidelljohn

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2019, 06:08:00 am »
@Zorlac
Translating Elnard to english is on the list of things to eventually do. I can do all of the programing I just need to find a translator. I have a 7th saga/elnard graphics viewer that I posted at the beginning of my page. I also have a rom map that I have been slowly working on but it wont be released until its finished which will be awhile. Here is some merchandise that I have for 7th saga/elnard:

These are the 2 manga's and the encyclopedia of adventure guide book.

This is another book but it is small around 18-20 pages and a phone card.

I also have a 7th saga nintendo power card but I dont have a picture of it.

@KingMike
I'm definitely going to have to do a lot of digging. Here are 2 magazine ads that I would like to find:

I think I have seen 1 other ad somewhere but I cant remember where.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2019, 02:10:45 pm »
There are Japanese guide books which use the American title?  :o
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Zorlac

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2019, 04:01:56 pm »
Wow! Thanks for sharing!

When you eventually start the translation project, would you be using the orignal Japanese ROM? (sorry for the dumb question). I just like the idea of a purist translation if at all possible.

Its interesting reading the Japanese Wiki page on Elnard using Google Translate. Seems like the game definitely had a religious theme going on.

Let me know if I can do anything to help! :)

March 21, 2019, 07:43:27 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Have you guys seen this?

https://starboy91.blogspot.com/search?q=elnard
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 07:43:27 pm by Zorlac »