News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Hey Flashcart users, check this out.  (Read 1841 times)

A.D.R.I.A.N

• View Profile
Hey Flashcart users, check this out.
« on: August 05, 2017, 09:42:37 pm »
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/07/flash_carts_could_be_slowly_killing_your_retro_consoles

I've had no idea about that! Thankfully, the article (and the video) name the safe everdrives and the ones to avoid.
The everdrives for the N64 and GBA respectively already run on 3.3v systems, so they aren't listed.
"I hate when mods don't let you ask for help."

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Hey Flashcart users, check this out.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 12:27:37 pm »
"What do you make of this stance?"
My first thoughts
"Haha. I wonder if this is the same crowd that wants to make these things run for centuries (I have met them a few times before, always hilarious to me)."

That said I will have to check I guess. Most times I went looking, admittedly with big boy flash carts and not cheapo HK multicarts and certainly not the output from the repro set which I have laughed at the electrical knowledge/skills of many times before now, in the past the makers of the devices were clued up enough that any chips were driven and signalled within parameters and most chips I meet are similarly versatile -- 5V and 3.3V being ultra common voltage/signals levels within electronics with enough chips being made to play to both levels. I would also wonder if any failures induced by this would have happened on a similar timeline to a device run within manufacture parameters.

Equally we are getting tantalisingly close to custom chips like we get PCBs, 3d printing and CNC done today -- it is such that I (the hypothetical person that likes playing with spice) could probably worry the higher value retro game market. As such things don't tend to get more expensive and a chip decap session, especially for the layer counts and gate/feature size of the 16 bit and older world, is not bad either then a) famiclones being bad will be something of a thing of the past and b) repair parts will become more available and the soldering required is not out of line with the clock, capacitor and video decoding stuff the retro game set is already used to doing.

I suppose in the meantime I will look forward to seeing the audiophool/monstrosity cable style adapter devices made for those which cherish these things a little bit too much.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Re: Hey Flashcart users, check this out.
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 11:18:55 pm »
Interesting. Especially since I just sold my NES and SNES consoles as well as my flash carts for each. Used some of the money to buy what I needed to convert my aging PC into a TV-based (CRT or otherwise) emulation station as well as a USB adapter for two N64 controllers and new thumbsticks for both of them (improved thumbsticks, not shitty ones like the originals).

I can now play any 8 or 16 bit console (and some 32 bit consoles) with whatever controller setup I want (like using the thumbstick instead of the d-pad for NES games). Real hardware is dead to me now.
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...