News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Unable to Open SNES Translation Tools  (Read 3184 times)

julayla

• View Profile
Unable to Open SNES Translation Tools
« on: July 17, 2017, 07:55:50 pm »
I'm trying to use these following programs to work out on translating some games I really wanted to do for a long time: X-Char, Rom Edit, X-Late, Hex Workshop (and I remember that works on Win 10) and Snestool. Some of these won't run on Windows 10 and I need help starting them on Windows 10.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
Re: Unable to Open SNES Translation Tools
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 03:28:35 pm »
I use Windows 7 and I don't think I've ever used any of those programs. There are other programs available that do a good job. I used HxD for general hex editing, Tile Molester for graphics... unless Windows 10 has introduced some incompatibility issues since Win7 then I don't see what could be wrong. Other than SNESTool, but that's over 20 years old!! I'm sure there are more modern ways to to do everything that can do.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Unable to Open SNES Translation Tools
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 08:34:23 pm »
If you insist on running those tools, the easiest thing to do would be to run Windows XP in a virtual machine like VMware.  (You can probably find pre-configured packages for that wherever you typically find illegal downloads, but of course you use those at your own risk.)

Alternatively, DOS programs like SNEStool will run easily in DOSBox (though DOSBox is really only intended for running old DOS games).

But indeed, as suggested above, there are probably other newer tools that should run in Windows 10 that will do everything you need.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!