News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Changing a password system into a save system  (Read 9630 times)

goldenband

• View Profile
Re: Changing a password system into a save system
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2017, 04:43:15 pm »
I think it depends on the game. Short level passwords that don't encode much are great, especially nowadays since (for those of us who play on real hardware) it means you don't need to worry about a bad battery, and you can switch over to an emulator if you feel like playing on your laptop.

Long passwords are a hassle but taking a picture of my TV with a digital camera helps. So the only irritation is if I need to repeatedly enter them for some reason -- typically because a game doesn't preload them on reset, or otherwise pulls dirty tricks that make resuming from a password a better option than continuing forward.

And when it works properly, saving is great unless a game uses it as a vehicle for sadism, e.g. autosaving your every mistake (I'm looking at you, Ghen War!). It certainly beats the hell out of long passwords that don't encode everything that's going on in the game so that you lose stuff every time you resume from a password (looking right atcha, King's Bounty!).

Ar8temis008

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2017, 06:54:30 pm »
I think it's a better idea to have both, have sram for battery backed carts and emulators because it's more convenient and feel more natural. Then also have a password system for those who don't have battery carts and as a way to back up data in case of memory loss. That also gets rid of the hassle of making a save system since you can just save and load the password.

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2017, 03:53:11 am »
What exactly does "battery-backed carts" mean? Was there a tiny battery somewhere in the cartridge that would store all the saved memory? So if the battery died everything just got erased and saving was no longer possible? Or did it use power from the SNES to load/save whatever
"Programming in itself is beauty,
whether or not the operating system actually functions." - Linus Torvalds

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2017, 03:05:44 pm »
Was there a tiny battery somewhere in the cartridge

Yes.  The battery is about the size of a nickel.

Older RAM chips could not retain their state without a constant electrical current (that tech didn't really come around until thumb drives).  So as soon as they lose power, the contents of the memory is lost.

So in order to have games save their state when the cartridge is disconnected from the NES, some games put a tiny battery on the cart and connect it to the RAM, so it'll have a constant charge.

EDIT:

The Final Fantasy cart:

- The coin shaped thing is the battery.
- Lower-left corner is the CHR-RAM
- Lower-right corner is the PRG-ROM
- Upper-right corner is the PRG-RAM (SRAM)
- small one next to the battery (top) is the mapper
- small one next to the battery (bottom) is the CIC (anti-piracy)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 03:11:16 pm by Disch »

kuja killer

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2017, 07:45:05 pm »
If you'd like to look, this is the Save Game/Load game SaveRAM stuff for megaman odyssey (my megaman 3 romhack)
May not be any use to you though. But if your interested to see just for reference though :)

https://pastebin.com/nbasv74M - MAIN ASM file for Save Game/Load Game

https://pastebin.com/E8uMpPLj - 6000~ SaveRAM formats/contents

https://pastebin.com/q5aQD1Su - labels

« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 09:39:47 pm by kuja killer »

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2017, 04:16:20 pm »
Someone should just extract the images from Megaman X collection and use those for an SRAM save. Good luck spending the next month hacking in ASM hahahaahaha you will understand insanity. I've been playing MMX3 a lot over the last week trying to get 100% of the items in the game including gold armor and Z-saber. I think it's funny they screwed up the translation when loading the save file it says-
Do you load?
(it should say "Load file?" or something along those lines. above sentence is grammatically incorrect, since the game was a near 100% port of the playstation version they probably just had a Japanese programmer translate the 1 or 2 extra sentences they added, instead of having to pay someone else...........hahaahah)

"Programming in itself is beauty,
whether or not the operating system actually functions." - Linus Torvalds