11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

Captain N - The Game Master (SMB2 Hack)

Started by KirkyMonster, July 02, 2017, 11:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teeporage777

"..But it doesn't matter. Nothing matters anymore.."

SpiderDave

Looks good.  You should use Simon Belmont's sprites from Wai Wai World.  It'd match the art style better.  Is there a build of this somewhere to try?

KirkyMonster

Using the Wai Wai World Belmonte sprite is a very good suggestion... I might do it. I currently kind of like the way Belmonte looks like a man while the rest look more like kids "Chibi" but having the art direction match up may be worth while. Is that game a little obscure that people might not know who the chibi Belmonte is supposed to be.

Also does Belmonte climb any ropes in Wai Wai World? I was planning on using the Gameboy Belmonte sprite for the climbing animations but if Wai Wai world already has climbing animations then I will probably do that.

Ziko

Will Mega Man have his correct blue coloring? The TV show he was green of all colors and it made no sense as traditionally he's always been blue. Beyond that, this is neat as even though I've never watched the show, this I will play for curiosity's sake.

SpiderDave

I don't think there's a climbing frame, here's a sprite rip:

I don't think you should make them too close to the tv show, because they'll all be unrecognizable ;)

KirkyMonster

I agree that if I made them too close to the show they would be recogzinable, I tried a Megaman hack graphic hack to repicate the look of the show and couldn't come up with anything I liked. I decided to make Megaman dark blue and teal, since I don't know how to add an additional sprite for megaman's face to make it 100% accurate to either the game or show. But considering that now my Megaman has teal eyes it does sort of replicate the visor Megaman wore in the show that shaded his eyes.

After looking at the Wai Wai world sprite I think I will stick with what I got. The conflicting art styles are going to happen regardless once I add Mother Brain into the game anyways.

Choppasmith

Damn, this looks really cool. So is this going to be a quick aesthetic hack or will there be done attempt made to make the characters play like their respective games (Mega Man with his buster, Simon with his whip, etc)?

KirkyMonster

I can't give Megaman his Buster for example but I did give Kevin his Super Jump, Belmonte has shorter jumps like in Castlevania but picks things up very quickly with little slow down, Megaman picks up things very quickly without any slowdown when running since he's a robot, Kid I carus can float for even longer distances than the Princess also has better jumps but has slow pick up speed and major slowdown when riunning while carrying items since he's even smaller than Princess Peach.

If someone smarter than me could figure out some kind of melee attack for SMB2 than I could incorprorate something for each character but it's beyond my skills. So far it's just a graphics and physics hack.

SpiderDave

I'd like to make a melee attack for smb2 too.  If I manage to do it I'll share.  Is there anything else specific you want to do in this?  I'm always up for messing with this since it'll further my hacks too.

Morinis

Ya know, sometime I can look at how Luigi is in SMB2 and make a Simon sprite for ya.  Climbing, item holding and all that needs to be made for proper character actions for SMB2 though its up to you :)
ROM Hacker, Reviewer and Critic.

Don't Know What Else To Say So... <3 You!

KirkyMonster

Quote from: SpiderDave on July 03, 2017, 04:00:32 PM
I'd like to make a melee attack for smb2 too.  If I manage to do it I'll share.  Is there anything else specific you want to do in this?  I'm always up for messing with this since it'll further my hacks too.

That is really cool of you, a melee and a projectile attack would be great or at least a melee attack that I can animate to look like a character specific projectile attack would be awesome for all the SMB2 hacks I'm working on.

July 03, 2017, 06:41:19 PM - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

Quote from: Sinis on July 03, 2017, 04:53:19 PM
Ya know, sometime I can look at how Luigi is in SMB2 and make a Simon sprite for ya.  Climbing, item holding and all that needs to be made for proper character actions for SMB2 though its up to you :)

I managed a decent sprite of Simon picking, holding and throwing but still need a climbing sprite. I was thinking the Gameboy Simon sprite would be the best start

Thanks for the offer to help.

retroverse

Fun idea for an SMB2 hack - and you seem to have plenty on the go at the minute!  I hope you're able to incorporate some of the ideas above, especially adding a ranged weapon to make the characters more like their counterparts from the show.  (Sadly, I don't have the skills to offer any help...)

Will the worlds be themed after different parts of Videoland?  Do you have any plans to include other characters from the show (Lana, Duke, Gameboy, or even recurring ones like Link) as characters or NPCs?

KirkyMonster

I would like to include all of those characters though I don't know how. I may make Gameboy a level boss or try to make him the bonus game somehow. For Duke again I want to include the dog but don't know where yet. It would be easy to make them all level bosses but then to have it make sense why you are fighting your friends wouldn't make much sense, so I'm still trying to think of a good place for them.