News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Which is the best translation of FF4 (Super Famicom)?  (Read 2707 times)

Dachimotsu

• View Profile
Which is the best translation of FF4 (Super Famicom)?
« on: June 27, 2017, 02:45:26 pm »
I'd really rather not play the American SNES version, what with all the mistranslations and censorship, y'know?

I've seen a few different fan-translations, like J2E, Project II, and Namingway Edition, but it seems like people have complaints about each one, especially J2E which has several revisions and addendums.

Can anyone recommend one to me? I'm looking for one that's accurate, either to the original Japanese or the newer official translations. Bug fixes not necessary, but I'd prefer it to be completely uncensored.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: Which is the best translation of FF4 (Super Famicom)?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 06:19:15 pm »
I don't know if the latter two hacks you mentioned were necessarily "re-translations".

If not that just leaving just the official translation, and the j2e translation.
As you have mentioned, the j2e does have some teen/college humor changes.
(well, there are a couple other patches but they are surely not worth it then. One is a somewhat infamous patch "We R Red Wings", and the other that I've seen was simply the US translation pasted into the Japanese "Hardtype" ROM but broken because it wasn't edited to account for that the US version had a text window a couple tiles wider so you can't even get through the intro without seeing misformatted text)

Of course you could always wait until Tomato releases his "Funky Fantasy IV" Google Translation patch if you would like to play a version that contains maximum censorship (by removing ALL of the game's story and replacing it with nonsense). :D
(although there were a couple points as I recall where Google managed to write something MORE offensive than j2e's writing :P He said he plans to keep it only to keep it 100% to what Google wrote)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 08:27:09 pm »
If you want to take the US version, I'd say Namingway for the restorations alone.

Dachimotsu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 11:27:58 pm »
If you want to take the US version, I'd say Namingway for the restorations alone.

Yeah, after giving Namingway another look, that seems like the best version. Thanks a ton!
And to you too, KingMike!

Asaki

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 08:57:12 am »
After reading quite a bit of Tomato's site, I don't think the US translation is really that bad. And after playing through the GBA version, I really appreciate that US SNES game doesn't litter up your inventory with tons of items that only cure one specific status effect (not to mention the GBA version's terrible framerate).

GBA translation was okay, but IIRC did have a few pop culture references thrown in.

Didn't play the DS remake very long, it just didn't feel like a game that was put together very well.

Maybe Chaos Rush will make a FFIV Refurbished patch??

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 10:38:39 pm »
Last time this came up, the PSP version was still enthusiastically recommended.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 02:17:03 pm »
The DS version is the most accurate but they made the game harder because they believed the audience was older people who played the game in their youth. Most other official translations have stupid pop culture crap thrown in.
The Ds version is a very well put together game it just had kinda crappy graphics.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 04:40:25 pm »
I liked the difficulty, it was the first time a while that an FF game gave me anything outside of a steamroll victory.  PC and Mobile have an easy mode though.